Dr. Elsey's Wet Food

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have turned off a lot of wet food lately :( they are still quite fond of Tiki cat, and Almo nature, but not much else. They love their Dr. Elseys dry, but i have never tried the wet food from Dr. Elseys. I have always worried about the Agar-Agar. But i would like another food in the rotation. What is your thoughts on Dr. Elseys Canned foods, mainly the Turkey, for now.

Turkey, Turkey Broth, Turkey Liver, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Agar-Agar, Barley Grass, Choline Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Salmon Oil, Turmeric, Dried New Zealand Green Mussels, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Folic Acid

Dry Matter Analysis
The manufacturer's published guaranteed analysis values normalized for moisture content.

Protein: (min)
50%
Fat: (min)
41%
Fiber: (max)
7%

Carbs: (est)
2%
Ash: (est)
0%
Calories: (est)
117/100g

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would be willing to try it, I have a few things in the pantry right now as "tests" and actually, finally got out to tractor supply to pick up some paws and claws pouches (he's loving the gravy so far :yess:), but when I work my way through the other test products I'll pick up some of this.

It gets so challenging when they go through these phases, or whatever a person would call it...best of luck to you!!

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I find it hard to avoid gums, carrageenan, AND agar-agar. I recently bought a sample pack of the wet food flavors. They are wetter and softer than other cans I’ve tried (ie they shift if you tilt the can rather than stay loaf shaped) but Olive seems to love them all.

I avoid agar-agar if I can (Rawz and First Mate is great for that and also other gums but they are both higher in carbs) but at some point I have to feed something :sigh:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always time to celebrate when we find something they love! :clapcat:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I find it hard to avoid gums, carrageenan, AND agar-agar. I recently bought a sample pack of the wet food flavors. They are wetter and softer than other cans I’ve tried (ie they shift if you tilt the can rather than stay loaf shaped) but Olive seems to love them all.

I avoid agar-agar if I can (Rawz and First Mate is great for that and also other gums but they are both higher in carbs) but at some point I have to feed something :sigh:.
we do, have to feed something. I tried Rawz and First mate, really wanted them to like them, they did not. Im hoping since they like dr. Elseys dry, maybe the wet will go over well? :dunno:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...
When I have to pay for it I am very discerning. I've learned to lighten up a little. I got back from the conference in April with a TON of samples, and I've been feeding the girls a big rotation, along with their Nature's Variety Instinct chicken cans, and they're happy and no one has gotten sick.
I would try it out. The reviews seem to show that their cats favor the cleanprotein turkey.
I came home from BlogPaws with a lot of Weruva, Halo, and a few other companies. My blue won a basket from Wellness, so we tried them, too. The only real thing my girls get in a tiff about is fish. They don't like it. About half of my Weruva and all the BFF ended up going to Nola, who lives in Baltimore with her mother.
Agar agar doesn't bother me, but what does is seeing a company use carageean and guar gum together. Like, are you guys even trying? Or adding cellulose.

I did buy Nutro during Planet Cat at Petsmart that were bogo, but the girls wanted the chunks in gravy and wouldn't eat the pate, so Nola got that, too. I also got the Solid Gold at Petco when Solid Gold was running the $10 off $20 and they really like those.

I just realized I took a muscle relaxer and it took me way too long to put together that last little paragraph. Cheers.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am feeding my cats Weruva more now along with Primal and ground turkey with powdered cat supplement. Weruva has less of the chemicals in kibble and regular supermarket can foods and the company don't believe in dry cat food.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's can food contains: "Dried egg product" (allergen), "natural flavor" (what does that mean?), Agar-Agar (controversial ingredient), and "salt." The rest is plopped in vitamins and minerals in the food.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Duckpond, the American Journey wet food also has questionable ingredients along with fruits and vegetables like cranberries, potatoes, strawberries, kiwi, bananas, peas, broccoli, pumpkin, raspberries, rice, etc... Cats are obligate carnivores.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am feeding my cats Weruva more now along with Primal and ground turkey with powdered cat supplement. Weruva has less of the chemicals in kibble and regular supermarket can foods and the company don't believe in dry cat food.
I have given them a lot of Weruva over the last 3 years, was always a big hit with them, but over the last 6 months they have quit eating it, all of their old favs. Nothing wrong with the food, i like weruva, i think they have gotten tired of it? I have tried primal, they were not fans, out of my 4 only one would eat any of the freeze dried raw foods. Cats are funny sometimes. :dizzy:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm in, or rather just was, in the same boat as duckpond duckpond . I never have had much luxury of choice for food with the Big Guy but I lost it completely earlier this spring. He wasn't eating (not health related he's healthy) and was actually losing weight since he's one of those cats who, if he doesn't get what he has in his mind that he should get, will starve.

It comes down to a narrow window of what he actually WILL eat and the parameters of what bad additive am I trying to avoid the most.

The only thing I've come up with is to try and work a variety which means I'm constantly on the lookout to see what foods I haven't tried yet, such as the Caru - thank you lalagimp lalagimp much appreciate that info!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a case of the Dr Esley's turkey from Chewy. The girls are not crazy about it. They will NOT eat it by itself but they will if I use a topper. I'm not sure that I'd buy it again. I have held it back for a while now and will re-introduce it to see if that helps. It often does with foods that they are so-so on. They are SO picky. :rolleyes2:

They like the Dr Elsey's dry very much so that is our new go-to dry food. I only use it as a topper or occasional snack so the bag lasts a while.