Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Senior Litter

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
http://www.preciouscat.com/precious-...29bdea1ef16a6e
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754844

Has anyone tried this cat liter and what do you think about it? Is it worth the $15.00? (Which actually in my case $30.00 since I have two boxes.) I bought this for Bear since he is going on his third UTI. I think he needs it if it will help prevent a reoccurrence but I was watching him going to the bathroom and I don't think he liked it because his paws kept sinking in. He would move then shake the liter off, dig and then shake the liter off. (Finding a good place to poop.) I HAVE only seen him do this once but still I want him to be comfortable, but he is using it though. Am just debating whether it is worth buying again.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest looking up silica litters ...

IMHO avoided them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It says it safe on the package. :/ Well if there is a chance it isn't then I don't want to use it.

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah...I think am going to change the cat litter next time I go grocery shopping. Wouldn't it be best he used this until he got over his UTI? I just hate to waste it after spending $30.00 on it. Can you recommend a cat litter? I want good clumping, fragrance free, and NO DUST. I hate cat litter dust! If it makes me cough pouring it in imagine what it does to my poor kitties.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What all litters have you tried? How were they received by your cat/how do you like them?

Types of litter boxes you use? Conventional boxes - covered or uncovered? Storage tubs?

Have you considered something like WBCL with the cat attract additive added to it?

I don't like or use any clay because they're never completely dust free. It's just not possible to make. They irritate Tomas eyes and make him cough (dust of any kind bothers him) and make my DH cough a lot (asthma) as well as myself.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My senior doesn't like silica litters at all. So IMO, no it's not worth it.

For low dust alternative litters, my cats all agree on Swheat Scoop. Right now I have clay scooping litter in all the boxes and I can sure tell. My allergies are going nuts from the dust. I have to get Swheat Scoop again.
It's just that it's $$$ and sometimes that's tough. We didn't have luck with WBCL-my senior was so close to an all out litter box boycott.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Elsey Cat Attract litter - for me, it's the best litter in all the world, since my boy with litter box issues likes it!
Seriously, I absolutely swear by it and suggest anyone with box issues give it a shot. For me, it's worth every penny it costs.

I did try the senior litter for the exact same reasons you did - my boy had a UTI/crystals issue. My girl liked it, my boy not so much. My girl is much more 'reasonable' about different litters than he is. I actually had parallel boxes - one with the senior stuff, one with the regular cat attract. I went back to plain old Cat Attract.

BTW, did you do a gradual changeover of the litter?

FWIW, there is a real Dr. Elsey who runs a large cat only practice. And, yeah, there is nothing perfectly safe in this whole world.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched to the Dr. Elsey's brand because 2 of my cats are allergic to the Tidy Cat I was using, causing them to itch and bite themselves like mad.

The Dr. Elsey's is much less dusty and the itching has stopped. I do like Swheat scoop, but it makes the house smell like a barn and I've found that it is every bit as dusty as the clay type. Just a different type of dust.

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have both litter boxes in my bathroom (that's in my bedroom) because sometimes I keep my kitties in my bedroom. I woke up this morning with cat litter all over my bed. That has not happened before! Gross yes! Dang that stuff tracks like there is no tomorrow. No way I will be using that litter again.

I have tried most litters that are in the grocery store, none of them am happy with. Either too dusty or too smelly. My cats don't like the litters with the fragrance. I noticed like, if I put a smelly one in one box and a nonsmelly one in the other, they tend to use the nonsmelly. Does Swheat scoop have a fragrance? I went to a new vet yesterday to get get Bear's prescription food and noticed they were selling cat litter there. 50ibs for $15.00! I forget what its called but I might give that one a try too. They claimed on the sign a read that it is the best brand they have found.

Also my kitties seem to like the finer cat litter more then the big bits like the brands usually that are in a bag instead of a plastic container.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swheat and World's Best aren't scented - though they have their own natural scent (grainy) due to what they're made from, wheat and corn.

Are there no other places you can add another box? I'd suggest another, larger, box to make sure that one of the issues isn't that Bear is having problems maneuvering in his current box or that he's not being able to get to it as easily.

I must be odd, because I'm probably one of the few people here that doesn't have a bathroom litter box - one bathroom is too small and the other is a glorified closet.
Plus I have a toilet paper shredder.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I must be odd, because I'm probably one of the few people here that doesn't have a bathroom litter box - one bathroom is too small and the other is a glorified closet.
Plus I have a toilet paper shredder.
I have a B-room that is a closet too (and a shredder -Aya). I found a triangular shaped box! It barely fits behind the toilet. It was the only place to fit a second box. It's shallow so I am sweeping up scattered litter from time to time, and I have a communal pee-er who
ahem likes to join me when nature calls.

I don't know about Dr. Elsey's litters, but the cat attract product is worth its weight in gold if you have a sometimes or fussy box user like I do. I mix a non-scented fine grain clumping litter with a more dusty clay-like type to get a mix the princess (Aya) prefers. I'd give you brands but I am in Japan. My mom had to ship me the cat attract stuff and hope customs didn't think it was pot!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I use the Walmart brand, Special Kitty scoopable litter. It's a clay litter but very low dust, and it's the finer sand texture that the kitties seem to prefer. The kind in the green box says fresh scent, but I can't actually smell any scent. I'm usually very sensitive to perfumes so I'm thinking their "fresh" scent is actually "no" scent.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

I have a B-room that is a closet too (and a shredder -Aya). I found a triangular shaped box! It barely fits behind the toilet. It was the only place to fit a second box.
I have cats that don't fit very well behind the toilets. The bigger boys would probably get stuck or overshoot something like that.

I have a box in the hallway (sort of a hallway), one in the living room, a couple in the den, one in the bedroom (which nobody uses
). That seems to be enough.. and I'm out of rooms at that point.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I use the Walmart brand, Special Kitty scoopable litter. It's a clay litter but very low dust, and it's the finer sand texture that the kitties seem to prefer. The kind in the green box says fresh scent, but I can't actually smell any scent. I'm usually very sensitive to perfumes so I'm thinking their "fresh" scent is actually "no" scent.
I use the orange box with citrus fresh, not that I have noticed it having any scent at all. It is very fine texture, mine don't seem to have a real preference for cat litter, they seem to use whatever I put in their boxes. I also agree about it being very low dust. Most of my boxes still have mainly Arm & Hammer in them and one has all of the special kitty and all seem to be used about the same. I have 4 boxes with 2 cats, one in the bathroom and 3 in the kitchen(that have a dining room table between the boxes and any food.)

I only used the kitten attract once to try and get the kittens outside to use it. I wouldn't use it unless I had to personally, too expensive.

Taryn

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

FWIW, there is a real Dr. Elsey who runs a large cat only practice.
My Muddy and Koko's littermate brothers go to his clinic (600 miles away from here). He called me one time to ask had questions about a potential genetic issue with the litter. He has worked with a university's vet school to stay current on information and for general research for his products. And he loves cats. He owns the clinic, but unfortunately he is on leave right now due to his wife's illness.

I use Cat Attract litter because of my chronically ill cats (FLUTD, cancer, and general old age complaints). The litter seems firmer than others and I've not noticed that they sink into it very much. I tried the Cat Attract additive for a while and it didn't work nearly as well in drawing them to the box as the full strength litter.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about his wife's illness...honestly, that Cat Attract litter certainly made my home happier, and I can't imagine how many cats' lives it literally saved. I've read that so many cats end up in shelters due to litter box issues, and most can't be adopted out then.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I have cats that don't fit very well behind the toilets. The bigger boys would probably get stuck or overshoot something like that.

I have a box in the hallway (sort of a hallway), one in the living room, a couple in the den, one in the bedroom (which nobody uses
). That seems to be enough.. and I'm out of rooms at that point.
At least you can fit more than 2 boxes. When the 'whizzing' problem started I had one hooded box in the living room so I needed a place for a second. It was very hard to find room. Half my apartment is tatami; not a good surface to scatter litter or cat pee on.

Honestly she seems to prefer the original hooded box in the living room by the TV.

And Aya is petite, barely 7 pounds. I could see where a larger American-sized kitty might have issues with either of my boxes.