Dr Elseys dry food and diarrhea

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted this in the Tiki Cat thread but figured it could use it's own thread, if I'm wrong on that I do apologize.

I have 3 cats, one turning 16 months old I've had since May and two nearly 8 month old kittens that I've had since the beginning of this month. When the kittens arrived my cat was eating tiki cat chicken and fish luau dry food (it smells so bad, makes my whole house smell of fish or something) but the cat loved it and it made her coat shiny, soft and fluffy. All her stools were normal on it.

One of the kittens had a soft poo while eating it but this could also have been stress from arriving in my new home. I spilled an old bag of Dr. Elsey's on the floor at home (older cat previously didn't care for it much) and they all thought it was treats so we started mixing some Dr Elsey's chicken in with the Tiki Cat and they all ate it gleefully. We transitioned over to only Dr. Elsey's in the last few weeks (possibly faster than we should have) and at first they all had normal stool, then everyone had diarrhea, then the diarrhea seemed to stop for a brief time though they all had looser and softer stools.

Now one of the cats (kitten) has diarrhea again. They all eat quite a bit of the Dr. Elsey's so I have no idea if I should transition them back to the Tiki Cat with lower protein/slightly more carbs or find something new. The kittens are always gassy as well on the Dr. Elseys (chicken) but they also seemed gassy on the Tiki Cat.

Anyone had experiences like this with Tiki Cat/Dr. Elseys? I also notice after giving the Dr. Elsey's alone that my older cat's coat has gotten very dull and not as soft. I'm not sure if they need lower protein or what.

The older cat is now slightly constipated this week, has very tiny poos that are sometimes softer. They are all drinking a normal amount and the urine output has not changed.

We had the kitten stool checked for parasites earlier this month, everything came back clean. I know this is a very clean and popular food to feed but I just don't know what to do about this problem.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last year I added Dr. Elsey's wet and dry food into my rotation. Three of my cats do ok on the dry, but the other 3 got terrible diarrhea. I also added it very slowly. I had the same issue with the Dr. Elsey wet food. I transitioned slowly and every thing was fine. When I went to just the Dr. Elsey's that is when the diarrhea started. I don't feed it to the 3 who have issues with it. Yet my other 3 cats do fine and I keep it in the rotation.

The food might just be too rich for the cats. I would just stop feeding it or mix it with the Tiki Cat so they aren't getting as much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last year I added Dr. Elsey's wet and dry food into my rotation. Three of my cats do ok on the dry, but the other 3 got terrible diarrhea. I also added it very slowly. I had the same issue with the Dr. Elsey wet food. I transitioned slowly and every thing was fine. When I went to just the Dr. Elsey's that is when the diarrhea started. I don't feed it to the 3 who have issues with it. Yet my other 3 cats do fine and I keep it in the rotation.

The food might just be too rich for the cats. I would just stop feeding it or mix it with the Tiki Cat so they aren't getting as much.
Thanks for the reply, I feel better that it's not just me. This food is so pricey and well recommended that I didn't expect such a huge diarrhea fest from it. What do your other cats like to eat?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do your other cats like to eat?
I do a combination of foods. I do home cooking (not raw) with added supplements. Yet with 6 cats this takes so much time that I only feed this once a day. I then use Wellness canned, Merrick canned and sometimes Trader Joe's brand canned food. I don't feed hardly any dry. One of my male cats had a urinary blockage and dry food is not recommended. I do offer about 1 T. per day and right now they are getting some of the Dr. Elsey's dry in chicken and I also use Merrick dry.

In the past I fed Weruva BFF, but that food was also too rich for my cats. They had vomiting and diarrhea.