Dr. Elsey's Cleanprotein Chicken Forumula Grain-free Dry Cat Food

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I had to share this here because it is an intriguing find. I was shopping for a dry food that I could feed my big boy for lunch - and by feed I mean give him only a tablespoon - and I found this.

Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein Chicken Formula Grain-Free Dry Cat Food

As it stands now, my two babies each get one can of Fancy Feast Classic in the morning. In the afternoon Twyla (lady kitty0 gets a perfect portion tray of Nutro Natural Choice wet and Ramsey (big boy) gets 1/8th a cup of Solid Gold High Protein Chicken dry food. In the evening, they again each get a can of Fancy Feast Classic for dinner. I am happy to report Ramsey (formerly 17 pounds) has lost one pound on this regimen!

The vet wants me to push forward with dropping the dry food amount and calories. So, for you other folks with kitties on weight loss-programs, this dry food may be the perfect tool if you get to the point where you need to use very small portions of dry food.

When I finish with the Solid Gold, I plan to drop Ramsey's lunch down to one tablespoon of Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein. I plan to use only a tablespoon because I am sure you guys will notice the extremely high calorie content: 554 calories per cup! A single tablespoon contains about 34 calories. But the ingredients of the food and the ability to feed in such small amounts and still get a nice calorie count is excellent.

What do you guys think of this food? I see no peas, no potatoes, no grains, no tapioca etc. So I am rather excited about this food as the afternoon meal for my boy! Apparently, the carb content is only about 4.69%! For a dry food that is incredible.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was actually just looking at that last night! We are moving towards an all wet diet but my budget only allows for 1 (5.5oz) can per day of wet food. My cat is currently in the weight loss process so I'm really not sure what she is going to need per day to maintain her ideal weight when we get there. If she happens to need more than 1 can a day, I might have to supplement with just a tablespoon or 2 of dry so I was also looking into high protein options that come in small enough bags to not get disgustingly stale by the time she finishes it.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been looking for new brand of dry food for my 4 months old kitten and I was looking at it last night also M MissMolly08 What a coincident :D Does anyone feed this to your furry friends? And what is the result compared to other brands? I am thinking of feeding my kitten both dry (Dr Elsey hopefully if everyone recommends it) and another brand of wet

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this brand first hand. I requested a bag to write up on in my blog and it's attached to my signature. I've got two girls right now on maybe 1/4 cup of Dr Elsey's dry and 1 5.5 oz can of Nature's variety instinct per day. I don't limit what I give them... if they've eaten the dry then I put another 1/8 cup (2 tbs) out at a time. No one has gained any weight. I know the 6.6 lb bag is $43 but I haven't purchased a new bag since the beginning of July. I may one day try them on Dr Elseys canned food as well, but reviews are showing more promise towards their turkey vs the chicken in flavor.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lalagimp lalagimp Wait what? 6.6 lb bag last more than 2 months for 2 cats? That's insane. Probably because you mix with wet food. I am also thinking of feeding my 4 months kitten a mix of Dr Elsey dry and another brand of wet food. However, I have a question tho. The 1/4 cup of dry you feed is for both of you girls or each gets 1/4 cup of dry then 1 can of wet? And also, how old are your girls and what are their weight?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1/4 cup total for both, total. Their can is 200 calories. Amalie is 9 1/2 lbs around age 11 and Yue is about 10 1/4 lbs age 8. There is a possibility(two adults not knowing what the each other is doing) that Amalie is eating more kibble since I see that it's 336 calories with kibble and canned, but they are lazy girls in general. NUTRITIONAL CALCULATOR FOR CATS says they don't need more than about 400 calories per day between the two of them.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1/4 cup total for both, total. Their can is 200 calories. Amalie is 9 1/2 lbs around age 11 and Yue is about 10 1/4 lbs age 8. There is a possibility(two adults not knowing what the each other is doing) that Amalie is eating more kibble since I see that it's 336 calories with kibble and canned, but they are lazy girls in general. NUTRITIONAL CALCULATOR FOR CATS says they don't need more than about 400 calories per day between the two of them.
Oh i see, unfortunately I cannot use the website you provided for my kitten because it's for adult cat only. How is that 336 calories with kibble and canned? 1/8 cup of Dr Elsey is only 70 calories (554 divided by 8) Isn't it only 270 instead of 336? (Let assume each of your girl consumes 1/8 cup)

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
136 calories for 1/4 cup plus 200 for the can

If you're running on kitten power you might end up going through that in a day just for the 1.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im a bit confused here. I thought that you feed 1/4 cup for 2 cats which means 1/8 each right ? (Let assume both share that 1/4 cup equally) Isn't it still lower than 136?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im a bit confused here. I thought that you feed 1/4 cup for 2 cats which means 1/8 each right ? (Let assume both share that 1/4 cup equally) Isn't it still lower than 136?
544/4(kibble)=136+200(can)=336 total
an additional 1/8 cup would put it to 404 total between the two girls, if they required that much fuel.
Someone wants to check my math, feel free... it is midnight.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this brand first hand. I requested a bag to write up on in my blog and it's attached to my signature. I've got two girls right now on maybe 1/4 cup of Dr Elsey's dry and 1 5.5 oz can of Nature's variety instinct per day. I don't limit what I give them... if they've eaten the dry then I put another 1/8 cup (2 tbs) out at a time. No one has gained any weight. I know the 6.6 lb bag is $43 but I haven't purchased a new bag since the beginning of July. I may one day try them on Dr Elseys canned food as well, but reviews are showing more promise towards their turkey vs the chicken in flavor.
I'm glad to see it lasts a while! I only have 1 cat so I was hoping with only a couple tbsp. a day (if it ends up being necessary) that the 2lb bag would last my cat around 2 months. Seems like that is possible based on your experience.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lalagimp is calculating calories for both cats total, you are calculating for each individual cat... That is where the confusion is.
The cats are fed 1/4 cup of dry food a day, split between 2 cats so that = 1/8 c. each
The can of food is also split it sounds like so that's 1/2 can each.
If a cup of food is 544 calories.. Divided by 4 = 136 (2 cats are splitting that 136 calories so if you assume they split it evenly, they're each getting 68 calories from dry).
If they also split the can evenly they are getting 100 calories each from there. That's about 168 calories per day/per cat.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This product kind of sounds too good to be true. It doesn't lost how much taurine it has either.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Woah. The crude protein is 59.0% which is the highest I've ever seen on a cat dry food. Anyone know what "Pork Protein Isolate" mean and what the fourth ingredient "gelatin" is for? Is it being used as a binder like how guar gum, chickpeas, etc are used?

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neo_23 Neo_23 I believe you can contact them and ask for more info. I have contacted them and ask for the phosphorus % in the dry kibble, have to wait for the reply. Umm, I should have included the taurine one, I forgot :( Yeah i know right, this product seems perfect for me besides the price :biggrin:

H himawari For protein isolate, this is what I found: "Protein isolates are derived from a variety of food sources – plant, meat, dairy, and more. Protein isolates are typically 95+% pure protein, with some approaching 100% purity. Protein isolates are far from inexpensive byproducts. Unlike starches, they are distinctly not “filler” ingredients. Rather, they are the product of a focused a empt to extract the most valuable components out of a food source, and their price/cost reflects that."

And for gelatin, here is an article Add gelatin for better health.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
KittyKat184 KittyKat184 Link to that definition will you? I Googled it but all I got was Whey Protein Isolate even if I put Pork Protein Isolate. If it's 95% pure protein, why don't a lot of food manufacturers/companies use that in their dog/cat food? And I never knew gelatin could be good for cats, especially for arthritic ones.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
KittyKat184 KittyKat184 Link to that definition will you? I Googled it but all I got was Whey Protein Isolate even if I put Pork Protein Isolate. If it's 95% pure protein, why don't a lot of food manufacturers/companies use that in their dog/cat food? And I never knew gelatin could be good for cats, especially for arthritic ones.
Here is the link http://www.wysongepigen.net/Epigen - The Rationale for Protein Isolates.pdf It's from Wysong. About gelatin, I don't know neither. That's why Im still considering about buying this product