Dr Elsey?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any opinions on this brand?

I'm constantly told that this is "the best" in terms of dryfood.

We've moved MAINLY to a wet food diet (I feel like anyone who knows me from here knows the HEADACHE I've dealt with finding a suitable rotation of wet foods that my cats will eat without snubbing)

Our cats are kibble addicts though, so we were buying Tiki Cat Essential for them. Sammy and Mia both started throwing it up though, so I thought I'd try a different brand.

I just ordered a few bags to give it a try, but I noticed they have such few reviews despite this being a brand I hear people rave about in general?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you looked on the chewy website? The chicken dry has 382 reviews
Yeah, I guess when I think of reviews I always think of 1k+ being a lot. Was surprised to see only 300ish, some had 100

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We've moved MAINLY to a wet food diet (I feel like anyone who knows me from here knows the HEADACHE I've dealt with finding a suitable rotation of wet foods that my cats will eat without snubbing)

Our cats are kibble addicts though, so we were buying Tiki Cat Essential for them. Sammy and Mia both started throwing it up though, so I thought I'd try a different brand.

I just ordered a few bags to give it a try, but I noticed they have such few reviews despite this being a brand I hear people rave about in general?
Amazon has over 2k reviews on it. I've been feeding the DE chicken dry for a while and the cats love it. It's very high quality food. Especially for dry. It's been in short supply lately. Especially the chicken. My girls are picky eaters. Lilith is the one who insists on having her cereal (what I call dry food) and she loves it. They won't touch the DE canned though.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have never tried their food. I will say their Cat Litter is exceptional. I used their Kitten Attractant litter when I first got my two kittens. They loved going into the litter box wether they needed to use it or not.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t feed dry food, but if I did, it would be this one. It’s higher in protein and lower in carbs than other dry food with fewer unnecessary ingredients like grains. I do, however, use the chicken as a treat for the girls. It’s higher quality than most treats I’ve seen (because it is designed to be complete), it’s a good shape for my one toothless kitty (small and round), and my cats absolutely love it. Also, I crush it into powder and use it as a topper when they get reluctant to eat their regular wet food. Mocha went off her chicken wet food for awhile, but she’d eat it if I sprinkled some crushed Dr. E on it! Cheaper than FortiFlora and, again, complete nutrition so she wasn’t missing out.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
The non-chicken ones are new, which is why they have less reviews. Would recommend sticking to the chicken; the other recipes have legumes, unfortunately.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The non-chicken ones are new, which is why they have less reviews. Would recommend sticking to the chicken; the other recipes have legumes, unfortunately.
The chicken is so hard to get these days. I have to keep a bag of the turkey on hand to mix in with it. :sigh:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t feed dry food, but if I did, it would be this one. It’s higher in protein and lower in carbs than other dry food with fewer unnecessary ingredients like grains. I do, however, use the chicken as a treat for the girls. It’s higher quality than most treats I’ve seen (because it is designed to be complete), it’s a good shape for my one toothless kitty (small and round), and my cats absolutely love it. Also, I crush it into powder and use it as a topper when they get reluctant to eat their regular wet food. Mocha went off her chicken wet food for awhile, but she’d eat it if I sprinkled some crushed Dr. E on it! Cheaper than FortiFlora and, again, complete nutrition so she wasn’t missing out.
We do pretty much the same here, using Dr. E's dry chicken Clean Protein food as treats, toppers (crushed and whole), and small nighttime snacks. Our cats also love it.

I just wish they didn't have such constant production problems! (I think/hope we have enough left to get through to when they say more will be available, we'll see...)

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dr Elsey's is good food. I have 2 cats one will only eat the kibble chicken. Now that they have been out of Chicken (again) and for the first time I ran out, I need to find another replacement( getting sick of their shortages to say the least) temporarily. I am using turkey flavor at the moment but she doesn't like it as much as the chicken. I've been through almost all brands with her. Hoping I get lucky soon with something she likes.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fed the chicken one until my old cat started having stool issues but I don't believe it's due to the food. The lower amount of reviews are probably because of people who are turned off by the cost (even tho it's much higher quality/calorie dense food than other kibble). I'd say if you're stuck feeding dry food like I am with my old cat who rather starve than eat any wet, that's your best bet. Don't go for the other flavors as they all have chickpeas.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fed the chicken one until my old cat started having stool issues but I don't believe it's due to the food. The lower amount of reviews are probably because of people who are turned off by the cost (even tho it's much higher quality/calorie dense food than other kibble). I'd say if you're stuck feeding dry food like I am with my old cat who rather starve than eat any wet, that's your best bet. Don't go for the other flavors as they all have chickpeas.
I so wish they hadn't added chickpeas to the other flavors! Our cats don't get much Dr. E's food but I wish there were other options when the chicken's in short supply.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I so wish they hadn't added chickpeas to the other flavors! Our cats don't get much Dr. E's food but I wish there were other options when the chicken's in short supply.
I totally share your frustration. I was so excited as well. Another option is Epigen 90 but I feel iffy supporting a company that sells food that's suppose to be cat and dog food at the same time....

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally share your frustration. I was so excited as well. Another option is Epigen 90 but I feel iffy supporting a company that sells food that's suppose to be cat and dog food at the same time....
Yes, that's not exactly comforting. I wouldn't consider it anyway since it has a potato ingredient, which I can't feed!

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's not exactly comforting. I wouldn't consider it anyway since it has a potato ingredient, which I can't feed!
Were you looking at Epigen or Epigen 90? They're different products.

Epigen 90™: Chicken Meal, Organic Chicken, Meat Protein Isolate, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Gelatin, Natural Flavor, Coconut Oil, Chia Seeds, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Propionate (a preservative), Choline Chloride, Dried Apple Fiber, Fish Oil, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid (a preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (a preservative), Rosemary Extract, Inulin, Yeast Culture, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid [source of Vitamin C], Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product.