Doxycycline Causing High Alt?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! My cat is on doxy twice a day I believe 50 mg for 2 more weeks (a week already on it) for mycoplasma. His alt is 800! Never in his life been high and the only thing is the doxy. I've read it can cause liver damage. Any experience with you?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. I just did a good bit of very technical reading on this. Apparently, about 18% of cats on doxy do develop elevated ALT readings. What I could NOT find was anything at all about if or how long it took for levels to return to normal. Have you discussed this with your vet? Or sought a second opinion about it? I would do so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It HAS to be it. Not sure if you were following mortons many threads but he was pretty much dead a month ago with sepsis, pancreatitis and dka. He is acting like a kitten again recently and recovered after about 2 weeks. I know it can take months for them to return to normal but this high alt never happened in his life or while so sick. Right after taking doxy . I will ask my vet but also wanted to call a hollistic vet that they recommended to get started on more natural remedies . I do have that good brand for liver support they make tinctures for about everything. Just did not want to try it while hes on doxy in case something happened bad. But other than that he is finally for once in his life since he was a baby acting great. He has ITP but been in remission for over a month! No immunosuppressive drugs yay!