Doxycycline and Loss of Appetite?

catonetwo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do I keep my cat on these powerful antiboitics and still feed her? Everytime I give them to her after a few days she completely stops eating. I know the effects of Doxycycline especially on an empty stomach. My vet told me to just keep on giving it to her even if she isn't eating.

Does anyone have any tips?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have not told us WHY she is on doxycycline.  It is not a commonly used antibiotic, but there are a few diseases where it is one of the only ones that work.  In the case of feline infectious anemia, it is normally the drug of choice but there are two others that work against the mycoplasma that causes the disease (marbofloxacin and pradofloxacin, neither of which cause blindness like enrofloxacin can.)  You do need to be very careful with the doxycycline because it can cause esophageal ulcers and stomach ulcers so you should chase every dose of medicine with at least 6 cc.  of water to make sure all traces of it are washed off the esophageal and stomach walls. 

I am assuming it is in a liquid form because Doxycycline should not be administered in tablet form to cats, as it may damage the esophagus. (The last cat I know that happened to has been put to sleep.  Very sad.)  When it is given, it is important to follow administration with at least 6 ml of water given via syringe. - See more at: http://www.diamondbackdrugs.com/doxycycline-for-pets/#sthash.8YLHWZM9.dpuf

Depending on what disease she is being treated for, there may be alternative medications if she is not tolerating the doxycycline well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catonetwo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You have not told us WHY she is on doxycycline.  It is not a commonly used antibiotic, but there are a few diseases where it is one of the only ones that work.  In the case of feline infectious anemia, it is normally the drug of choice but there are two others that work against the mycoplasma that causes the disease (marbofloxacin and pradofloxacin, neither of which cause blindness like enrofloxacin can.)  You do need to be very careful with the doxycycline because it can cause esophageal ulcers and stomach ulcers so you should chase every dose of medicine with at least 6 cc.  of water to make sure all traces of it are washed off the esophageal and stomach walls. 

I am assuming it is in a liquid form because Doxycycline should not be administered in tablet form to cats, as it may damage the esophagus. (The last cat I know that happened to has been put to sleep.  Very sad.)  When it is given, it is important to follow administration with at least 6 ml of water given via syringe. - See more at: http://www.diamondbackdrugs.com/doxycycline-for-pets/#sthash.8YLHWZM9.dpuf

Depending on what disease she is being treated for, there may be alternative medications if she is not tolerating the doxycycline well.
she is having constant nasal discharge, the cause of which has yet to be determined. a radiology report stated they didn't see a mass but cannot rule out cancer, but stated she had allergic rhinitis. i was then told to give her piroxicam but stopped because in my opinion it almost ruined her. took her to another vet. a culture and sensitivity test was done and my call for what exactly the bacteria was called has not been returned. i'll be calling tomorrow to get an actual record of her results. as per the results i was given, i recall being told either clavamox or doxycycline should work but because she has been on clavamox so long and the last time we were not seeing any improvements, we tried to go with doxycycline to see if there would be any changes. i had the liquid form which got thrown out accidentally in the household, and had the pill form given to me by a previous vet. i asked the current vet if i could go ahead with this, which the vet okay'd. i researched on my own (neither of the two vets informed me it needs to be chased with water) to find out that i was supposed to chase it with water, which i'd been trying to do but my cat always had this adverse reaction and would always drool. she can stand anything but being fed water i dont know why. i read to give it on a full stomach but still make sure to chase with water.

i have since stopped, and she seems very much happier without it, but the discharge has not stopped. i did notice the swelling on the bridge of her nose had become smaller when i started her on the doxycycline but she was much unhappier and refused to eat. after a few days without it she's now a bit more upbeat and talkative and walking around but i notice a bit of swelling on the bridge of her nose, but she is eating a lot more.

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad you were pro-active and researched doxycycline before giving her the tablets so at least you TRIED to chase them with water.  I dont know why VETS don't remember this, but at least your cat didn't end up with crippling esophageal ulcers.  (I am still heartbroken over that story. )  Clavamox is incredibly safe and gentle and evidently the culture and sensitivity said it would work on whatever bacteria the culture grew.  However, if it's a leftover from a previous viral infection, then her nose would still run, only that's a clear discharge, not a yellowish one.  As for the swelling on the bridge of her nose, I guess you will just have to watch that.  Anyhow, since she was so miserable on the doxycycline, I would agree with you to keep her off it, and just watch the swelling.  If the nasal discharge becomes yellowish, then perhaps try the clavamox again since that showed it would work against whatever bacterial growth there was before.  Keeping her comfortable and happy is obviously the most important thing.  In my book, quality of life trumps quantity of life any day.  If her nose runs but she eats and her tummy doesn't hurt, then that's the choice to make.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We gave Hannah doxy and we served it in cheese just before her wet food meals.  The only side effect she experienced with it was excessive lethargy, so we stopped the medication since we weren't seeing any real improvements in her condition.  She was sneezing excessively and had lots of nasal drainage.  We found better success with changing her daily antihistamine and adding cordyceps to her diet.