Downloading GIMP Brushes

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I've downloading GIMP to my computer and am trying to teach myself how to make signatures and such. I'm competent with the computer, basic programs, and the internet, but I've never had much luck with photo editing software. So, this is a bit of a stretch for me. And, really, I could use some help.

I found another thread on this forum about where to download GIMP brushes and have decided to use deviantART as I trust their site. But, here's my question. I see where I can click download on the brushes I want, but how then do I put them into practice while using GIMP? I guess what I need is to know what to do once I click download. If it matters, I'm using Windows Vista.

I know this is probably a ridiculous question, but any help with this or any other info about GIMP would be appreciated. I'd like to learn and would appreciate any and all experience and assistance from those who are more familiar and comfortable with the program.

I hope I've explained my question well enough. Please let me know if you have a question about my question...

Oh! And, thanks in advance!

(Also, how do you cleanly cut images in GIMP? I'd like to cut pics of my kitties out so I can use my own, self-designed background. And, then, how do you shrink them to a usable size for a signature? So many questions, so helpless I am
.)

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you will love making sigs, it's so much fun!
To get the brushes to work, dump the files you download into the folder where gimp stores the brushes, it is different for me as I don't use windows so I can't tell you the exact folder but it should be easy to find just go to computer then local disk, then go to program files, look for a folder named GIMP, open it annd inside it there should be a folder called 2.0, open that and you should see more folders in there and one of them should be "brushes" so just copy and paste all of the files that you downloaded from deviantART into the folder "brushes" and restart gimp. When it restarts it should have all the new brushes..
I hope that makes sense!

To cut the images you can use either the free select tool or the smart scissors, I prefer the latter because it's much cleaner IMO, and I also feather the edges (it's an option in the toolbox) since most of the time you're cutting fur and it has to retain the fluffy look

I love GIMP I first got it to edit my photos and make my skin look flawless in all of my pictures and fix random things like red eyes, but then got addicted to making siggies....

If you have more questions ask, and I'm sure someone will know the answer, I would love to learn more also

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OT: Alison, did you see that you have beautiful signatures waiting for you? They a gorgeous by the way.... And quite a few too, if I am not mistaken!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so now I feel even more clueless

I followed your instructions and found the right folder, but there wasn't a folder labeled brushes. I tried to troubleshoot this myself by creating my own folder in 2.0 labeled brushes where I dumped the ones I downloaded, but when I opened GIMP they weren't there. And, to be honest, where would I even look to find them once I have the program open?

Did I look in the wrong place or screw up somewhere? Your directions were easy to follow, but I just don't have a folder for brushes. Hmm...

Any suggestions?

Also, Carolina, yes, I know I have some awesome signatures members here have made for me. As soon as my eggs have been removed from my sig, I'm going to replace them with a siggie. But, I'd also like to learn for the future so that maybe I can help someone down the road. You know, paying it forward
. Thanks for reminding me about my siggies though!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Re:GIMP brushes...
I use mostly Deviant Art too.

I have XP so I don't know if this will apply to Vista.
There might be an easier way but this works for me.

I down load a brush set to a file titled GIMP brushes that I created on my desk top.

Next, I unzip the downloaded file.

Then I open, My Computer, Local Disk (C), Program Files, Gimp.
Click Gimp, Share, Gimp, 2.0, Brushes.

Next, in the downloaded file, select all, copy, and paste them into the Gimp program brushes file.
Close

When you open Gimp the new brushes are all there.
Same procedure with fonts except I click ibwmf (fonts) instead of the second Gimp file.

When you figure out yours would you let us know how you do it.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alrighty, I've tentatively figured it out. I'm not quite sure, but I have access to the brushes I downloaded. Finally. I really thought I was going to go insane there for a few minutes

I'm not sure exactly how I've gotten it to work, but as soon as I understand what I did and how I did it, I'll definitely post back here so that I can help someone else who comes across a similar problem. I think the issue is that I'm using Vista and the directions I've come across are for people using XP. Either that or it's just the fact that when it comes to software such as GIMP, I'm not well-versed. Now that I have a leg to stand on, I'm feeling more confident. But, it was stressful there for a while since I thought I was doing something wrong. And, as most people know, the more frustrated and overwhelmed you get, the less likely you'll be to figure out a solution to your problem.

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions here. Despite my initial confusion, I seem to have moved along on the learning curve and am getting there -- albeit slowly.

Now I need to learn how to resize images so that they can be used in signatures. Can you do that in GIMP or is it something you need to do before even opening an image in GIMP? I'm going to look at the link offered up earlier in this thread as well as play around a bit, but, again, any suggestions would be welcome. I'm excited to use this program, but am feeling awfully slow since it's taking me out of my comfort zone.

Thanks again, everyone. Hopefully, I'll be a GIMP pro in no time!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alison Joy

Seriously, if I can figure some of this out, you can too. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. I killed my GIMP several times, deleted it and re-downloaded it. I still make more mistakes than successes but it is now fun instead of torture.

I have been playing with GIMPS filters lately...
they are really fun and full of suprises.

I look forward to seeing your first siggy.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I missed one step and that was going to the folder "share"- xocats said it better just follow her instructions.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I followed your instructions and found the right folder, but there wasn't a folder labeled brushes. I tried to troubleshoot this myself by creating my own folder in 2.0 labeled brushes where I dumped the ones I downloaded, but when I opened GIMP they weren't there. And, to be honest, where would I even look to find them once I have the program open?
now, i use a mac... but some things should be the same.
my GIMP brushes are stored as follows [i have to use my option key - alt prob for pc - to access the folder - these are the sub folder names]:
GIMP
contents
resources
gimp
brushes

to cleanly cut images, use the paths tool. it's much more precise than anything else. after you get all the way around the image, when you get to your starting point, hold down the control key when clicking the original anchor. this connects them. then choose select from path, then copy.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now I need to learn how to resize images so that they can be used in signatures. Can you do that in GIMP or is it something you need to do before even opening an image in GIMP? I'm going to look at the link offered up earlier in this thread as well as play around a bit, but, again, any suggestions would be welcome. I'm excited to use this program, but am feeling awfully slow since it's taking me out of my comfort zone.

What I do, and there could be other ways of doing it, but I cut the image I want, I make the background transparent first by going to layer, transparency, add alpha channel and then cut, and save the cut out picture with the transparent background as a xcf file, which means it will be saved as a working gimp project. The way to do that is just go to save as and where you name you file, just name it untitled.xcf for example.
Then I go to file, new and create a 160X134 blank template and then go to file, add as layers and go to the picture I had saved as untitled.xcf and it is added to the blank template as a new layer. Then when you want to create the sig background, you can just make that layer invisible by clicking the eye button on the layers dialog.
Then to rescale it, go to layer- scale layer and you can do it that way...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those coming from photoshop, you may have better luck using the modded GIMP called GIMPShop - it's UI is layed out more like photoshop.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, after a long day of trying to teach myself (with help) GIMP, I've made my first signature. I figured I'd post it here just to show off my efforts. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I did a very basic sig to start off with, but here it is:

So, what do you all think? I think it came out decent at least...right?

Also, I figured out downloading brushes and whatnot, but I'm lost as to how to download fonts. Apparently, I can't do it the same way I download the brushes. It just doesn't work. And, believe me, I've tried and tried. I should take a gander at the links provided here, and I will, but any additional ideas anyone would like to throw out at me, go for it.

Oh, one last thing...the sig I just posted above -- is it the correct size? I made is 500 pixels wide by 130 pixels high. Is that right?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always install fonts in my windows font folder so I can use them in all programs, but Vista likes to install them properly.

Download the font, it usually is zipped so unzip it and right click on the file and choose install

A great first try at making a sig
are you going to join us in making them for others? I remember when we had so many sigmakers that everyone got 10 sigs when they asked for one

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's sooo pretty!!
I love how the colors go together...
And the size should be fine.
I think for Vista, you put the font file in the folder "C:\\WINDOWS\\Fonts", which is probably what you're already doing, and if it doesn't work you can try just clicking on the font file itself, and a preview will come up, and there might be a button under the preview that says "install font"..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, after a long day of trying to teach myself (with help) GIMP, I've made my first signature. I figured I'd post it here just to show off my efforts. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I did a very basic sig to start off with, but here it is:

So, what do you all think? I think it came out decent at least...right?

Also, I figured out downloading brushes and whatnot, but I'm lost as to how to download fonts. Apparently, I can't do it the same way I download the brushes. It just doesn't work. And, believe me, I've tried and tried. I should take a gander at the links provided here, and I will, but any additional ideas anyone would like to throw out at me, go for it.

Oh, one last thing...the sig I just posted above -- is it the correct size? I made is 500 pixels wide by 130 pixels high. Is that right?
with my mac, i can't check file size, which should be under 30... the height/width is fine. i usually do 550x134. i like the color combo, & it's great as a 1st sig - here's my 1st!

my fonts are stored in my regular fonts folder - used by word, GIMP, etc.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Using XP...
When I download fonts, to keep it simple, I do it in the Gimp file.
I repeat the first steps for downloading brushes....
except with fonts. I click ibwmf (fonts) instead of the second Gimp file and paste the unzipped fonts in that file.

Great job on your sig.