Double Sided Sticky Tape Works WONDERS!!!

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, just wanted to share our success story with STICKY TAPE!!! The kitchen is a dangerous place for our three little kittens, so we constructed a huge barrier to keep them out including our trash can, some trays, water bottles and tape stretched across the opening. Of course, our smart little kittens always found a way over or under our barrier no matter how hard we tried. And wehn I had to step into the kitchen to wash some dishes, it was soon a matter of taking kitten after kitten out and placing them in living room or putting them all away in their safe room (the bathroom) (has bed, scratcher, litter box, water & toys).

Anyways, soooo yesterday, I took down our barrier and laid out sticky tape (folded over, so both sides are sticky - the thick kind) across the entrance to the ktichen, 3 feet deep.

TA DA!!! No more problems with the kitties in the kitchen. I guess they just really don't like the feel on their feet, and now they can watch mommy or daddy as they wash dishes or cook. Just wanted to share the success story in case this helps anyone else.

olivier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha, good ting! But that'll most surely not work in my home as Grisou is a crazy one and won't mind while Tara LOVES all kinds of tape ESPECIALLY double-sided, she likes to eat it.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am actually going to attempt to try double sided sticky tape on my kitchen counters when I get my new kitten. It's going to be a pain to work around for a few weeks, but hopefully she'll learn quickly.

Olivier - I think that even if a cat loves tape, like mine
, that it would still work as they don't like the way it feels when walking on it, just eating/playing with it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used double sided sticky tape on my counters one time. One of my cats walked across it and it got tangled around his legs and tail. He was so scared that he hid under a bed and I couldn't get him out for a long time. Once he did come out, it was very hard to remove. It really traumatized both of us.

If you use it, make absolutely sure that it is highly sticky and won't come off on your cat. An adult cat has more weight and can pull the tape off more easily.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I used double sided sticky tape on my counters one time. One of my cats walked across it and it got tangled around his legs and tail. He was so scared that he hid under a bed and I couldn't get him out for a long time. Once he did come out, it was very hard to remove. It really traumatized both of us.

If you use it, make absolutely sure that it is highly sticky and won't come off on your cat. An adult cat has more weight and can pull the tape off more easily.
Do you remember what kind you used? I was actually planning to use double sided carpet tape which is very strong. She will be between 4-5 months old so not very heavy when I try this. I will also only have this out with her only when I can supervise.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have also in the past used double sided sticky tape with disastrous results. The tape became stuck on the cat's foot pad and we couldn't catch him quick enough to get it off. It had to be removed at the vet's office while he was under sedation.

Your best bet is to go to Contech.com and order a Stay Away cannister.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For those of you who had bad experiences with double sided sticky tape - those are just horrible!! And I admit it made me think about picking up the tape to avoid any risk. And I don't know if I want to recommend it if it is happening frequently, But, I don't think it is possible in my case. I think it should be so that your kitty CAN walk across it, they just don't enjoy the feeling (not so sticky that it is actually DIFFICULT for them to move). One of my kittens is brave enough to get across to be with us, but it is unpleasant for him so when I put him back he stays back across and watches us.

We just used regular scotch tape. And it actually isn't even folded over to be sticky on both sides, although that is what we planned origially. Ok, this is really hard to describe. I'll post a picture and then describe.

hmm, ok, I am having trouble posting a picture. But, it is kind of a blanket of tape with the sticky side up and then we taped it down on the edges and taped some down in the middle.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitties are cute. They remind me of my Charlie and Riley when they were that size.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i put sticky tape on my window sills and chloe LOVED it. she likes to peel it off with her paws. she likes it so much we started putting a piece on her paw so she could play with it!

ingrids mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gosh, you're kittens are soo cute!!!

View media item 167734
We have a 5yr old girl that I'm going to try to keep off tables. We just adopted her in March and this is a new thing for her to do. We also ordered a window sill perch so she can be up high and look out a window. She has 5 windows to look out now but they are not high. Did you use something like scotch tape? I was concerned about her paws getting hurt too. The first time I do this I'll be sure we're home to help her if she needs it. Thanks!