Double Middle Ear Infection

CocoMyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if anyone has had a cat have a double middle ear infection? My cat became very sick on January 21st AFTER bringing him to the vet for follow up blood work. (That is a long story) It was a long week that ended up with him getting an MRI because he couldn’t walk and stopped eating. Since getting on antibiotics (3 weeks ago) for a double middle ear infection he is eating soft food (mainly gravy) and liquid push up treats. He lost his hearing which is sad, but his balance is much better.

However, my concern is he still isn’t hard food or having a solid poop. He is still on antibiotics and is on them for at least another 3 weeks, and I am told it could take 6 to 8 weeks for him to start fully feeling better. Is this something someone has experienced? I know since it hasn’t been that long I need to be patient, but I can’t help but worry something else isn’t going on.

I guess on another note, has anyone had a cat go deaf? Any advice on that would be great too.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CocoMyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if anyone has had a cat have a double middle ear infection? My cat became very sick on January 21st AFTER bringing him to the vet for follow up blood work. (That is a long story) It was a long week that ended up with him getting an MRI because he couldn’t walk and stopped eating. Since getting on antibiotics (3 weeks ago) for a double middle ear infection he is eating soft food (mainly gravy) and liquid push up treats. He lost his hearing which is sad, but his balance is much better.

However, my concern is he still isn’t hard food or having a solid poop. He is still on antibiotics and is on them for at least another 3 weeks, and I am told it could take 6 to 8 weeks for him to start fully feeling better. Is this something someone has experienced? I know since it hasn’t been that long I need to be patient, but I can’t help but worry something else isn’t going on.

I guess on another note, has anyone had a cat go deaf? Any advice on that would be great too.

Thanks!
He is also 10, sorry I didn’t see where is said he was a kitten.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics aren't picky. They'll kill the good bacteria in his gut too which help with digestion. Without them, you get a bloated, nauseated, uncomfortable cat with soupy poops. Ask your vet about Proviable or search the forums for another probiotic. Give it as far apart from the antibiotics as you can manage depending on the antibiotic schedule because they will reduce each other's effectiveness. You could ask your vet about anti-nausea drugs and appetite stimulants but those come with side-effects too. You could search the forums or Google on how to make a slippery elm bark syrup for nausea. But that also, unfortunately reduces the effectiveness of the antibiotics. How's his teeth? When were those last examined under anesthesia with a dental X-ray? Changes in texture preferences can point to dental issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CocoMyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not addressing your cat's issue (sorry), but just letting you know that the word "Kitten" you see under your avatar is your status as a member, just because you are new to this site. :welcomesign:

Btw. Coco is a cutie!!
Thank you!!