Dorothy's big day at the vet

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we took Dorothy to the vet at 7:30 this morning for her 'surgery' to get her skin tumor thing removed. I miss her! I hope she's not too scared, but I'm sure she is hungry and thirsty! She was bugging me since before 6AM, probably for both food AND water, as she usually drinks a lot at night from a glass on my night table.

She's getting it done under a local anesthetic and sedation at least, but I hope she's a good girl like she usually is and doesn't need extra sedation... She'll have the procedure done late this morning, and I should get a call when it's done, by 12:30 they said. Then I'll know if I can pick her up right away or if they want to keep her for a few hours.

I told the office girl to take lots of breaks and give Dorothy lots of love, and I think she will.

It's funny, Dot's usually just sleeping right now anyway (as is Genever), but the house feels quieter without her here!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of vibes for Dorothy!

I took Abby in in January to have a large cyst removed from the back of her neck/head. They tried to do it with sedation and local freezing, but they said that they couldn't because different cats react differently to local freezing IE: the burning sensation with the administration irritates them and causes them to be stressed. So they ended up doing the cyst removal under General.

Personally I think it was just a money making thing on the part of my vet's office. My bill went from about $150.00 for the removal under local to $600 under general.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww lots of vibes for your sweet Dorothy and for you, too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Still very anxiously awaiting a phone call... and I'm paranoid that I'll miss it, too, because it seems sometimes my phone doesn't ring sometimes lately and I miss calls!! I'm not letting the phone out of my sight!

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Lots of vibes for Dorothy!

I took Abby in in January to have a large cyst removed from the back of her neck/head. They tried to do it with sedation and local freezing, but they said that they couldn't because different cats react differently to local freezing IE: the burning sensation with the administration irritates them and causes them to be stressed. So they ended up doing the cyst removal under General.

Personally I think it was just a money making thing on the part of my vet's office. My bill went from about $150.00 for the removal under local to $600 under general.
I did ask about the extra sedation, asked if she'd need it if she flipped out or something, and they said basically what you said, that some cats have different reactions. But they're not doing general anesthesia at all, rather something about they'd make a larger area numb or whatever (sorry, i am not the most alert in the mornings so i don't remember the exact answer she gave me), but it wouldn't mess with her head, make her out of it or anything like that. Just the area they're working on, which is near her shoulder blades. However, even if they have to give the extra sedation, they'll call me first. I got lucky with my vet, they're all really nice people, from the office staff to the techs and the vets, and they try to find less expensive solutions if possible, which I appreciate, since they seem to be getting a lot of my money anyway!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww bless her,its horrid when your baby goes away for any reason,huge vibes and keep us updated.I am positive all will be fine.xx

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just talked to the vet and Dorothy's all done and did really well.
She said she was good during the procedure, and she's a bit sleepy from the sedation, but I can pick her up after 2:30, which is an hour and a half from now. So I'll be clock-watching until then!!

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so glad she did well! I hope the results come back good on the tumor!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy to hear Dorothy's surgery went well! Maia and I send lots of for her quick and happy recovery

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we're home now, and The Dotster is ok, a bit wobbly still from the sedative, but went right to the food dishes when I unzipped the carrier.
I should get the biopsy results in a few days, pretty sure it will be fine, but it's best to know for sure. She was already scratching with her back leg trying to get at it, I hope she doesn't scratch her sutures out! I'll keep an eye on her as best I can though, and also on Genever, to make sure SHE doesn't get too groom-happy with Dot.

Thanks again for the well wishes!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Dorothy's home now and doing ok. Hopefully the results come back showing everythings ok

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh good!!! Dot is home and ready to eat
. She will sleep well tonight, if Genever will leave her be
. for negative test results! As I am sure it will be

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Genever's been pretty good actually and not going after Dot's wound. She has gone after her tail a few times, which is kind of different, but silly, and Dot just doesn't care! Normally she'd hiss and swat, but she is obviously feeling no pain still.

I think Dot's still feeling pretty good from the sedative, besides letting G play with her tail, she just keeps headbutting and rubbing against everything- our legs, the sofas, the recliner, chair and table legs, her pop-up cube, just everything! She is happy and loves everything.

She's still scratching a bit, but we make her stop andtry to distract her, but I'm sure she's scratching when she's in the other room... hopefully she won't do too much damage.

Also, our friend/neighbor/Genever's boyfriend Scott is finally home from the hospital and doing well, so he's still up for catsitting this weekend when we fly to PA for my aunt & uncle's 50th wedding anniversary party thing. He's got to be off work for 2 weeks so it'll give him an excuse to get out of the house.

aelurophile

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she's scratching too much but you don't want to put a cone/cape on her, you might try getting a baby shirt (or onesie and cut the bottom off). I did this for my cat when he had a front leg amputated, and the onesie prevented him from disturbing the stitches--even when he licked the onesie over that area).

Originally Posted by DarkMavis

She's still scratching a bit, but we make her stop andtry to distract her, but I'm sure she's scratching when she's in the other room... hopefully she won't do too much damage.

Also, our friend/neighbor/Genever's boyfriend Scott is finally home from the hospital and doing well, so he's still up for catsitting this weekend when we fly to PA for my aunt & uncle's 50th wedding anniversary party thing. He's got to be off work for 2 weeks so it'll give him an excuse to get out of the house.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well a cone collar wouldn't help, because the site would be behind the cone and still scratchable. If I do see her scratching more and doing any damage, I'll keep the baby clothes in mind, I forgot about that! I think, though, if she'd do any harm, she'd have done it by now. But I will keep an eye on her.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Bless her heart, I'm so glad she's OK. And she's so happy to be back home.
Good idea about the onesies!