Door Darting

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
We just moved to a new apartment a few weeks ago and for a while the cats stayed away from the doors. They didn't seem to want to be outside. But then Artemis started clawing at both of the doors every time I let Bosco out, so I put both cats on a leash and let them look around out back. They both acted scared and just wanted to go back in the house.

Fast forward a week later and now both cats are running out the both doors every time they open. I came into the house through the front door and both of them ran out as soon as the door opened. I took Bosco out through the back door to potty and Luna ran out the back door and I had to go get her.

What can I do about this? This was always a problem at the old apartment and now its becoming a problem here too. I don't know how to stop them from running outside every time I open the doors.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly, you should never have taken them out on the leash. No permanent damage done, but if you don't want to deal with door defense, you can't let them outside ever.

Second, darting cats used to be a very big problem, but with the wonders of modern technology, a solution appears. Chant the following, which I call "The foot stompy dance":

Crack the door
Stomp the floor
Look high and low
If its clear, go go go!

If your some little itty bitty 100 pounder, you may have to high step it a bit. If you don't want your neighbors to think your crazy...um can't help you -- looking crazy is an important part of the process :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Olive door darted when we first made her an indoor cat. Her old territory was outside our house. We don't have a dog that goes outside (which makes the whole thing harder) and we never took her out on a leash (I want to, but I was afraid it would make her whining to leave worse).

What worked for us was similar to A ArtNJ 's poem - I basically "hiss" at her. She looks offended, but a little bit wary at the door. I usually open it with a bag or purse in front of me to help, and when I leave sometimes I will laserpoint somewhere else if she has that wild look. Over time, she settled down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I should never have taken them out on the leash. I don't know what I was thinking...

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
You were thinking you were enriching their lives and giving them stimulation. It doesn't mean you were wrong, but it does complicate the door dashing.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look on the bright side, this is usually a fairly short lived phase if your consistent. Unless your cat is one of those stubborn "I will never given foolish two legs" cats. But probably not. So don't worry! Much.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed. Olive had a few escapes in the first couple months (I swear, she can wriggle out every window even if it's screened!) and after a while they slow down and stop.