Door Darting

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it's not really door darting, it's more like door walking. Just today when my mom was taking the dogs for a walk, my mom opened the door to bring the dogs back in and Gizmo walked out of the door. He's only done this once before. He's never ran or darted towards the door and he doesn't really initially go anywhere when he gets outside. We do have a pet gate in front of the door but it's just for the dogs for when we come in with a big load of groceries. Gizmo can easily jump the gate as well, and will sometimes sit by the door waiting when my mom takes the dogs out. We are moving into a new apartment soon and I really don't want this to become a habit or anything.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This must be a Gizmo thing! Mine does the same, though luckily we kind of have a buffer door since there's two doors he has to get through to bolt out into the garage. He's never managed to succeed yet, knock on wood, but I think much like your Gizmo mine wouldn't know what to do once he was out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This must be a Gizmo thing! Mine does the same, though luckily we kind of have a buffer door since there's two doors he has to get through to bolt out into the garage. He's never managed to succeed yet, knock on wood, but I think much like your Gizmo mine wouldn't know what to do once he was out there.
Haha, our two Gizmo's think alike! I have taken him outside in a harness before and much like when he walks outside for a brief second by himself, he doesn't really go anywhere. I've thought about getting an interior screen door that goes up to the ceiling to put in front of the door, but my mom would have to agree to it and I'm sure it's pricy.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I trained my cats not to do this with squirt bottles/guns in hands when we walked through the front door. (When they were kittens... it only took a few times.) To this day if our front door is open my cats will 'sneak' towards it. If they get within 3 feet of the door I will say their name & they will scurry away. I know people say squirt bottles are evil ... but in this one case maybe give it a try? I give my guys a warning shake before I squirt them. * my cats are allowed out through the backdoor into the backyard.