Door "Bell" Setups

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just curious - do any of you use a "doorbell" for your cats to either go outside or come back inside? I've been having my cat sit patiently to go outside (not demanding by meowing or acting crazy) but when he wants to come inside, he just jumps at the handle which I can hear "flapping" and then I go let him in. He opens our handled doors this way, but he can't let himself in - only out with the handles. So I was just wondering if anyone has some other setup for this?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
No door bells, just cat flaps with a mini door that can be inserted & locked at night. But I keep my cat indoors now— better for protecting birds, and he doesn’t get nabbed by bobcats. You’ve got one smart cat though, so maybe a tiny bell attached to handle? There are also here many discussions of catios, cat leashes and even cat strollers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of a bell but don't want one that's too obnoxious, so maybe the handle flapping sound is better? Trying to think of the neighbors too. Wish he could knock! Or call me! 🤣

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My brother has his dog trained to ring a jingle bell hanging on his patio door.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A bell might work, but training him when he's outside and you're inside might prove to be difficult. Is he outside in a yard, or a catio?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A bell might work, but training him when he's outside and you're inside might prove to be difficult. Is he outside in a yard, or a catio?
It's a yard. I'm usually very close keeping an eye on him, but sometimes he gets the heebies all of a sudden and I hear the handle start flapping.