Don't Understand Why My Cat Does This! Help!

minkymink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat started doing this about a year ago, very often when I'm standing around her she'll start doing this. I looked it up numerous times on the internet but no one else's cat seemed to do this. If you have any opinions or knowledge of why she does this it would be great!

I know the quality isn't that great, I shot this on my phone!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen it lots of times.  It's is sometimes a "taught" behavior, but it can be instinctual, too. 

Just a few videos of the behavior in other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minkymink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for filling me in, I had been wondering about this for ages.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, how cute are all the kitties in those videos, including OP's kitty doing the "begging" gestures! Smart kitties!

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha, I could watch kitty videos forever. LOL

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I heard some talk on here that Persians aren't too bright - that one seem pretty smart to me.

My Cagney does a weird face wiping thing when she is frustrated - like when I was trying to teach her to pull open doors. I haven't seen her do it in a few months though...

cinderflower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why would anyone say that? Cats are mysterious animals that will never make sense to their human parents.
they might not be trying to be mean.  i know nothing about persian cats' intelligence, but i do know that afghan hounds are a "thicker" breed, border collies need tasks to occupy them because they're very "busy" dogs, and jack russells need a lot of interaction and mental stimulation or they get neurotic and destructive (not the breed to get and leave locked up home alone).  the way animals are bred selectively has a lot to do with their temperaments and intelligence levels, but that's only purebred.  alley cats or domestic short hairs vary as much from cat to cat as people do.