Don't Know What To Do With Cat- Addicted To Treats

Unchartedsails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I got my cat when I was 8 years old, he was 1-2 at the time from the shelter found on the streets, I'm 23 now. So he's probably around 16-17 years old, yet he still looks extremely young. Honestly looks the exact same as when I adopted him.

Last year my mother got him these treats(I'll attach an image file) and he quickly became addicted to them. We've had to take him about 2 years ago to get surgery on his kidneys as they were failing or had some kind of infection- possibly stones I can't remember. Over time the treats have became something only he will eat, literally. We've tried multiple food brands (about 2 dozen and he won't eat the canned foods) and he absolutely refuses to eat them, I often take off the top of the food to replenish it cause I know some cats love fresh food- he still won't even touch it. I've tried to keep these dang treats away for an extended amount of time and the guy literally starves himself instead.

Every day if he doesn't have treats, he let's off this incredibly annoying whining meow sound that wakes up everyone at whatever time he wants treats. Which is often 2am, 6am, and when everyone comes home from work. I will try and attach a video of him doing it I took this very morning. I'm at my whits end honestly, he's becoming to much to handle and I'm not getting any sleep/impossible to sleep in as he sits in front of everyone's closed door and makes that weird meow. When someone gives him some treats(which has became a good amount of treats by now per serving) he will finish that get up and go to another room and meow at another family member. He's learned that way.

What should I do?

The video as promised:

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

What I would reccommend trying is hearing wet food in the microwave (it should be warm, so that it feels comfortable to put your finger in, not too hot). This will make it smell more, which cats find appetizing. Also, some cats are reluctant to eat if they don't like their food bowl. The bowl should be wide enough so that the cat's whiskers won't touch the side when they're eating... this annoys cats. Some other posters will probably have some ideas, too! :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried crushing a few treats and putting them on top of a plate of wet food? Or sprinkling a little catnip on top? He is so cute!

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second crushing treats on top of the other food. Maybe he's begging from everyone because the treats aren't nutritious enough keep him from feeling hungry.

ellenature

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is addicted to these same treats!!! We can't even say the word treat, we spell it out because she goes mental if she hears the word. She begs for them constantly and won't eat regular food without them. This is very odd.