Don't Know What To Do About Anxious, Sensitive Cat

efhjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

:wave3: I'm new here and I think this topic is between Cat Health and Cat Behavior, so apologies if I've posted in the wrong place.

I've had my cat for about 8 years now. She has always had sensitive digestion/diarrhea issues, so I'm working through different foods to see how she does. She did well for a long time with grain free, but she's started to have episodes again, so I've switched her to a non-chicken and grain free food to see how she does there.

She threw up today with no evidence of a hairball and has spent the whole day behind the couch, where she goes if she's afraid or sick.

My main concern here is that I'll soon be moving across an ocean with her. She's a very anxious/nervous cat who is scared of everyone but me, which she developed starting when she was about 2-3, she was a pretty normal kitten if a little nervous. I work from home, so most of the time I'll be with her, but every 3 months I need to travel back to the US for about 1 week - 10 days. When I have left her for these amounts of time in the past, she doesn't do very well. She typically will just stay behind the couch all day and hisses at anyone who gets near her. I just got back yesterday so I'm wondering if that might have caused her digestive issues. I'm really worried about the stress she'll be under after having been on a plane ride (she'll be in the cabin with me at least, but I'm sure it will be utterly terrifying for her judging by how afraid she is of the vacuum) and then being in a new environment, then periodically alone in it.

I'm concerned about her well being. I feel like a bad owner for having to leave her often, but I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because she is so anxious around other people. If her environment changes she won't eat for days. If I'm not there with her she gets extremely anxious. I'm trying to give her the best life I can but I feel like I can't help but fail at that.

What do you all think?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

efhjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, here is a picture of her because I assume cat pictures are welcome here :D

Attachments

KrissyMaddie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's adorable!

I would definitely talk to the vet about some sort of anxiety medication or a sedative. My cat is a scardy cat too (not as anxious as yours!), but we moved last week while he was healing from a urinary blockage and the vet prescribed trazadone for the hour ride and other anxious inducing times. I only have him half a pill and it worked well! But they said I could give him the full pill twice a day! Probably not as strong for a plane ride, but I'm sure there's something she could take to relax, and hopefully not aggravate her belly.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend moved across the country with his cats and he used a sedative (not sure which one) prescribed from the Vet.

We also have a cat that has episodes where he yowls anxiously when he’s not near someone. We started using a Sentry calming collar on him and it has worked wonders. He’s good with collars, so we aren’t too concerned but the amazon reviews did have some scary pictures of the collar getting stuck in the cat’s jaw, so just be aware it is not a breakaway collar.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's lovely. I agree with the others, get a sedative for the cat for the plane ride.
You are not a bad mom. You are giving her a loving home even if you do have to go away, it's not like you throw her onto the street when you leave. and even taking her with you when you move is a testament to your love for her. Maybe when you get to your new place just let her loose in one room at a time. It's going to be a very anxious time for both of you but I have friends who flew their cat to Japan with them and lived there for a year and she did OK. I think it just takes time to adjust.
Good luck!

efhjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend moved across the country with his cats and he used a sedative (not sure which one) prescribed from the Vet.

We also have a cat that has episodes where he yowls anxiously when he’s not near someone. We started using a Sentry calming collar on him and it has worked wonders. He’s good with collars, so we aren’t too concerned but the amazon reviews did have some scary pictures of the collar getting stuck in the cat’s jaw, so just be aware it is not a breakaway collar.
Thanks for the tip about the Sentry collar! I'll cut it apart and fasten it to her breakaway collar.

efhjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's lovely. I agree with the others, get a sedative for the cat for the plane ride.
You are not a bad mom. You are giving her a loving home even if you do have to go away, it's not like you throw her onto the street when you leave. and even taking her with you when you move is a testament to your love for her. Maybe when you get to your new place just let her loose in one room at a time. It's going to be a very anxious time for both of you but I have friends who flew their cat to Japan with them and lived there for a year and she did OK. I think it just takes time to adjust.
Good luck!
Thanks a lot for the nice message! That makes me feel better.

efhjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's adorable!

I would definitely talk to the vet about some sort of anxiety medication or a sedative. My cat is a scardy cat too (not as anxious as yours!), but we moved last week while he was healing from a urinary blockage and the vet prescribed trazadone for the hour ride and other anxious inducing times. I only have him half a pill and it worked well! But they said I could give him the full pill twice a day! Probably not as strong for a plane ride, but I'm sure there's something she could take to relax, and hopefully not aggravate her belly.
Thanks for the tip about the sedative! I was nervous about medicating her but it's encouraging to hear about positive results.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'd also ask the vet about long term treatment for anxiety, with Prozac or something like that. We have a cat with a very similar temperament. He's been anxious since we adopted him at 3 months old. His problem has been more inappropriate urination than digestives issues but we finally got him on Prozac a year or so ago and it's made a big difference for him. Best of luck and please let us know how you both do.

PS--of COURSE photos are welcome here, the more the better. :)

efhjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd also ask the vet about long term treatment for anxiety, with Prozac or something like that. We have a cat with a very similar temperament. He's been anxious since we adopted him at 3 months old. His problem has been more inappropriate urination than digestives issues but we finally got him on Prozac a year or so ago and it's made a big difference for him. Best of luck and please let us know how you both do.

Ah, that's great to know, thanks!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve always taken my cats to a vet practicing traditional medicine, but I recently took Lily to a holistic vet. She’s been experiencing stress since I adopted another cat, and the animal care manager at the sanctuary where I volunteer said that the holistic vet made a significant difference for one of the shelter kitties who is extremely shy and nervous. Among other things, he recommended a product called Calm-a-Mile, an essential oil blend from a company called animalEO. He used it on Lily during her visit, and she was much less upset than usual. And when I brought her home and the other two kitties ran up to check her out, everyone seemed a lot more relaxed, than they usually do when they come home from a vet visit.

I tend to be a bit of a cynic, but I checked out this vet both online and with friends. He’s got a positive rep. He used to practice traditional veterinary medicine and has a DVM from an accredited vet school. So I felt pretty good about his skill level and his recommendations. Also, he personally knows the vet who created the animalEO company. I’ve been using the Calm-a-Mile on Lily once a day, and it seems like it’s helping her.

Here’s the link to the description: Calm-a-Mile RTU. It’s expensive considering how small the bottle is, but it takes a tiny amount. I also noticed in the description that it can be used in the carrier for travel.

Just a non-traditional suggestion! As a side benefit, it makes Lily smell like a particularly luscious cup of tea. It’s made with chamomile. :)

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

This:thumbsup:, is what I think too. My Mr. Friendly (the pisser) is on prozac but he has overall anxiety issues and pica so he gets treatment for all those things by being on prozac. With prozac you MUST get blood work done annually for the life of the cat. Every six months would be better.

As far as travel get the vet to prescribe a sedative. You might have to administer the sedative in the car lot at the airport but make sure all the doors to the car are closed and locked! Ask your vet how long before the flight the sedative should be administered and tell him how long the flight and drive to your destination will be in hours.

efhjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve always taken my cats to a vet practicing traditional medicine, but I recently took Lily to a holistic vet. She’s been experiencing stress since I adopted another cat, and the animal care manager at the sanctuary where I volunteer said that the holistic vet made a significant difference for one of the shelter kitties who is extremely shy and nervous. Among other things, he recommended a product called Calm-a-Mile, an essential oil blend from a company called animalEO. He used it on Lily during her visit, and she was much less upset than usual. And when I brought her home and the other two kitties ran up to check her out, everyone seemed a lot more relaxed, than they usually do when they come home from a vet visit.

I tend to be a bit of a cynic, but I checked out this vet both online and with friends. He’s got a positive rep. He used to practice traditional veterinary medicine and has a DVM from an accredited vet school. So I felt pretty good about his skill level and his recommendations. Also, he personally knows the vet who created the animalEO company. I’ve been using the Calm-a-Mile on Lily once a day, and it seems like it’s helping her.

Here’s the link to the description: Calm-a-Mile RTU. It’s expensive considering how small the bottle is, but it takes a tiny amount. I also noticed in the description that it can be used in the carrier for travel.

Just a non-traditional suggestion! As a side benefit, it makes Lily smell like a particularly luscious cup of tea. It’s made with chamomile. :)
Ah interesting, thanks for the recommendation! I do like to use natural remedies wherever possible

efhjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This:thumbsup:, is what I think too. My Mr. Friendly (the pisser) is on prozac but he has overall anxiety issues and pica so he gets treatment for all those things by being on prozac. With prozac you MUST get blood work done annually for the life of the cat. Every six months would be better.

As far as travel get the vet to prescribe a sedative. You might have to administer the sedative in the car lot at the airport but make sure all the doors to the car are closed and locked! Ask your vet how long before the flight the sedative should be administered and tell him how long the flight and drive to your destination will be in hours.
Ah interesting, thanks so much!

I went to the vet today and she prescribed gabapentin with 1/2 pill of trazodone for the plane ride. I'm trying it out on her today to see how she does. She's a little dizzy and sleepy but at the vet today she just laid down on the scale rather than trying to hide herself. Her heart rate was also lower too which is great because I was worried it'd be elevated for the whole flight and cause a heart attack.

I asked about a long term anxiety medication and she suggested 1/4 pill of trazodone. I looked it up and it seems to be a pretty good medication with fewer side effects and doesn't seem to cause dependency.

I've got feliway, calming cat music and a calming collar for her once we get there, hopefully that will help her adjust.

Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll keep you updated once we're home. Fingers crossed she'll be ok, the vet says she'll be fine. :heartshape:

efhjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried CBD Oil Yet? It works miracles for lots of people.
Brad
Interesting! No I have not, I think it'll be a bit difficult to get where I'm going but it's worth a try while I'm still in the states! Thanks!

efhjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

I just wanted to give you a quick update. Eisie and I made it safely home. She is doing great so far. We had a bit of a mishap because she had some diarrhea before we took off on our first flight, but I had some puppy pads so I cleaned her up as well as I could. The poor thing had to endure that mess for the flight, but she did ok. I made sure to give her lots of pets, especially during takeoff and landing, and that seemed to help with her anxiety. I gave her 100mg of Gabapentin with 25 mg of Trazadone before we took off, and then gave her another 100mg of Gabapentin when we arrived at our connection as it had been 12 hours since her last dose. We had to go through security twice unfortunately, once from home and once in Europe, but she handled that very well. Overall I think the Gabapentin and Trazodone worked really well for her, they seemed to keep her heart rate down. Once we got home I gave her a quick butt bath and gave her some water, then let her explore the bedroom by herself. I'm so happy to say that after only a couple hours she is eating and drinking and exploring!

Thanks all for all your help and advice. I'm so relieved to be home with her. I think the second Gabapentin dose is wearing off now, so she's mostly hiding again, but I'm pretty sure she'll take care of her business once it's night.

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I also have an anxious spray peeing cat! He peed on my parents’s tv so much it broke. Very embarrassing when the tv repairman asked if we might have a stray tom who was peeing on the tv.

We aren’t at Prozac stage yet - the feliway diffuser next to the tv helped us though. It also stops him attacking our other cat.