Don’t Get What’s Going On With My Cat

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat milo never throws up, and he just threw up a ton and I found two large hairballs. So I wasn't too concerned. Then he threw up again and it was less food and just some liquid. And then he threw up again, he was just dry heaving and then threw up a tiny amount of white stuff. I ended up taking him to the emergency vet. They took his vitals and gave him some anti nausea stuff. They offered to take an X-ray that was going to be $350.. so I decided I would skip that and if he threw up again at home, then we would come back and do the X-ray. (They said the anti nausea meds are strong and if he threw up again, then its probably something serious).

So as soon as we get home, he throws up almost immediately. It was a lot more of the white stuff. Which I’m guessing is bile. So we’re back at the vet and he’s getting an X-ray now.

Since he does have pica, it’s very possible he ate something. And it could be stuck. But when we was vomiting all those times the first time, he pooped in the middle of it. So wouldn’t that eliminate the theory that something is blocked?

I’m also worried he got into something toxic. The vet said they can’t test for anything specific. But they can test for how his kidneys are doing. Should I get that done if his X-rays come back negative?

Anyone have any idea what could be going on? Very worried.

Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The xrays came back negative. So we’re just taking him home again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The white looking stuff that he vomited is not likely bile, as that is generally yellowish/greenish in color. Cats can throw up white foam along with and after a hairball. Since he continues to throw up, there is either additional hairball matter in his stomach or even further down his digestive tract and needs to be assessed by a vet.

Did you have blood work done while you were there - to avoid a third visit? What does the vet recommend you do now?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. The white looking stuff that he vomited is not likely bile, as that is generally yellowish/greenish in color. Cats can throw up white foam along with and after a hairball. Since he continues to throw up, there is either additional hairball matter in his stomach or even further down his digestive tract and needs to be assessed by a vet.

Did you have blood work done while you were there - to avoid a third visit? What does the vet recommend you do now?
The vet doesn’t seem to want to get blood work done. Do you think I should?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not sure. What did the vet think you should look for in terms of signs of a bigger problem than a hairball?
I don’t know. She said if he keeps throwing up past nine to bring him back in to get blood work and to be hospitalized.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then, I guess that is the best route for now. I am guessing if he has to be hospitalized they will be giving him fluids to prevent dehydration - as well as observing him? Oh boy...

Keep us posted, please.

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just curious, is it normal to throw up that much after a hair ball?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would say no. Once the hairball is thrown up, there might be some vomiting to follow shortly after - from what I know anyway. And, usually you will signs of a hairball issue coming on ahead of time, like some heaving with or without some food/fur, as the cat is trying to work it out of their system, before they actually throw it up.

I am not a vet, but this just seems to me to be something else - perhaps in addition to a hairball that had not yet been digested.

I take it he is still throwing up?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say no. Once the hairball is thrown up, there might be some vomiting to follow shortly after - from what I know anyway. And, usually you will signs of a hairball issue coming on ahead of time, like some heaving with or without some food/fur, as the cat is trying to work it out of their system, before they actually throw it up.

I am not a vet, but this just seems to me to be something else - perhaps in addition to a hairball that had not yet been digested.

I take it he is still throwing up?
Okay thanks! No, I was just wondering when he was throwing up a bunch before the vet if that is normal. Like I said, he never throws up so I don't really know the norms of hairballs and if its normal to throw up a few times after he gets the hairball up haha.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's actually not normal for a cat to throw up at all. Many cats do because of diet and overfeeding. However, with your kitty something is definitely going on. Did you recently change food? What about any other symptoms like lethargy or hiding?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's actually not normal for a cat to throw up at all. Many cats do because of diet and overfeeding. However, with your kitty something is definitely going on. Did you recently change food? What about any other symptoms like lethargy or hiding?
It's not normal to throw up a hairball? We changed food about 4 months ago. Which he has been sleeping more ever since the food change. It's food for urinary care/stress relief so I was just figuring he wasn't as stressed anymore. But other than that, there have been no changes in his behavior recently.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, it's not normal to throw up for a kitty. My cat's seldom throw up, and some don't ever throw up unless they are sick.

Did they do a urine culture? Is he showing any symptoms of urinary tract infection or urinary problems? Do you run feliway or any other kind of calming agent to help him de-stress?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, it's not normal to throw up for a kitty. My cat's seldom throw up, and some don't ever throw up unless they are sick.

Did they do a urine culture? Is he showing any symptoms of urinary tract infection or urinary problems? Do you run feliway or any other kind of calming agent to help him de-stress?
Yeah Milo never throws up. They didn't do a urine culture, I explained his urinary problems, but the vet felt his bladder during the examination and said that it was very soft and normal. He's not showing any signs, I dont think---its hard for me to tell when cleaning his litter because he aggressively kicks the litter around once he's done going and breaks up his urine balls haha.

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh and no I don't use feliway or any other calming agent besides his food.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats over the years threw up one or two hairballs a year. Some more, it didn't seem to have anything to do with the length of their fur, but they groomed each other.

Feliway can be good, but you should be home when you first try it. Some cats are unaffected by it, and some are affectedly badly. Mine loses the veneer of civilization with it. Same is true of catnip.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It isn't great if a cat vomits and it isn't normal but it happens. The white stuff is stomach acid. The vet was right to give her an antacid and something like unflavored Pepcid would work but check with your vet. The thing with a lot of vomiting is you don't want the cat to get dehydrated. The cat probably should have had some fluids at the vet.
Have things settled down now?
Often cats with kidney issues vomit a lot because they produce more stomach acid than normal. But it sounds like this doesn't happen often with your cat.
Keep an eye on it. Maybe thinking about combing out the cat a couple of times a week to keep down the fur ingestion.
If he continues to vomit, I would push for blood work, depending on when you had it done last.

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It isn't great if a cat vomits and it isn't normal but it happens. The white stuff is stomach acid. The vet was right to give her an antacid and something like unflavored Pepcid would work but check with your vet. The thing with a lot of vomiting is you don't want the cat to get dehydrated. The cat probably should have had some fluids at the vet.
Have things settled down now?
Often cats with kidney issues vomit a lot because they produce more stomach acid than normal. But it sounds like this doesn't happen often with your cat.
Keep an eye on it. Maybe thinking about combing out the cat a couple of times a week to keep down the fur ingestion.
If he continues to vomit, I would push for blood work, depending on when you had it done last.

Okay thanks for the info. Things have settled down, he is definitely doing better. He's been eating/drinking since last night. And he's been playing some, but definitely sleeping a lot. If he vomits again, I'll definitely take him to the vet to get some blood work done.