Dominance?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well today I witnessed it for myself.

Right in front of me on the bed Jasper Jumped Audrey and sunk his teeth into her neck.

Audrey has never really challenged Jasper so I am wondering why he has the need to do this?

I am affraid he is going to hurt her she is about his size but she is much more dainty. She is overweight and isn't able to get him off of her. Is there any way I can discourage this?

Has anyone else had this happening in their houshold when intigrating cats?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Right in front of me on the bed Jasper Jumped Audrey and sunk his teeth into her neck.

Audrey has never really challenged Jasper so I am wondering why he has the need to do this?

I am affraid he is going to hurt her she is about his size but she is much more dainty. She is overweight and isn't able to get him off of her. Is there any way I can discourage this?

Has anyone else had this happening in their houshold when intigrating cats?
The only way I can see it NOT happening is to keep the cats separated. Which not the goal, correct?

Biting can be part of integrating cats. I would guess the reason for it is a show of "dominance" or just cause there is a new cat in the territory/house.

What do you mean by Jasper bit Audrey in the neck? Did the male cat bite the female like he was "trying to mate her"? Or was it more like when Shadow my DSH, had bitten/held all of my other cats by the throat, as if they where prey?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

The dominant doesnt need to be challenged. He can do it now and then anyway, just to be sure everyone understands the positions

Its like schoolboys can do, often in uappropriates moments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

The only way I can see it NOT happening is to keep the cats separated. Which not the goal, correct?

Biting can be part of integrating cats. I would guess the reason for it is a show of "dominance" or just cause there is a new cat in the territory/house.

What do you mean by Jasper bit Audrey in the neck? Did the male cat bite the female like he was "trying to mate her"? Or was it more like when Shadow my DSH, had bitten/held all of my other cats by the throat, as if they where prey?
It was more like a mateing thing but Jasper has been fixed since 6 months and Audrey has been fixed for years.
He jumped on her and grabbed her by the scruff of the neck. I though it was him being male and needing to dominate her to show that he owned the house.
She seems to understand that so I am not sure why he needs to contually do this and have her hiss and growl at him.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It was more like a mateing thing but Jasper has been fixed since 6 months and Audrey has been fixed for years.
He jumped on her and grabbed her by the scruff of the neck. I though it was him being male and needing to dominate her to show that he owned the house.
She seems to understand that so I am not sure why he needs to contually do this and have her hiss and growl at him.
Personally I would not worry about it right now. Cats do things for reasons only cats know sometimes. If they are both completely indoor cats, it might just be a way to drain excess energy. But I really
, if they are both fixed.

How often does it happen? If it is intermittent, once a day or less, I would not worry too much about it.