Dominance neck biting

djade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My cat, Harrry Thomas is 14months old. We got him as a 6wk old. He accepts the "commands" of my hubby's 19 year old female, and other than trying to tempt her to play he does not bother her. Harry is trying to dominate ME ! ! ! He bites the skin on my wrist (actually the cuff of my jacket because we only play this "game" after I put on my jacket). I know when he wants to "play" the dominance game because his playfulness changes and he "talks" or chortles at me. He will mount my forearm, grab my sleeve at the wrist, and hold my arm down. Sometimes he will pull on the "scruff" and I will crawl across the floor with him.
I guess I need to let him know that I'm the boss and he the sub--- but how? Harry is my constant companion, he goes for leashed walks with me 2-3 times a day, and since I usually work outdoors from my golf cart he goes to work with me all day as well. He follows commands on our walks, but only when phrased as a request (you would think he understood "please" instead of just tone of voice!
Any suggestions? Just now he wants me to get up & play, but its the first time he tried to get agressive in bed (sorry-that sounds bad) usually when he wants me to get up he purrrs and kneads & walks on me, then does the ""Lassie" follow me deal. He plays "tag" all the time I he tags me & isupposed to chase him, tag him, then run (he made up that game).

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the forums.  I would first suggest that you not allow him to get near your hands/arms.  He sees them as a toy, not a part of your body.  We as humans often use our hands and arms as toys when the cats are little.  We allow them to get our hand under a blanket or climb up our arms.  The cats see this a fun and our body as a toy.  Cats do not react well to discipline in the form of swatting, hitting, squirting water, etc..  This teaches them to only fear you as a human.  This is not what you want. 

Start by keeping your hands away from him.  Get a wand toy ( like the da bird) and a laser pointer.  He needs to play, but not with your body.  The wand toy should have a long handle so that it can be far from your body.  The laser pointer will allow him to run around and get out some of his energy.  He is still quite young and needs to run around and play to get that energy out.  Especially before bed time.

You can also try giving him a catnip toy so that he can "kill"  the prey.  One of my indoor boys carriers around an 8-10" stuffed bear that he kills over and over again.  You can sprinkle a bit of catnip on it and see if he likes it.  Just watch him with the catnip.  Sometimes it can make certain cats more aggressive. 

If he goes for your arm.  Tell him "NO" and put him down on the ground.  If he continues to come after you, walk away and ignore him.  If he comes after you, he may need a time out for awhile.  This is not a punishment, just a time to cool off.  Put him in a room with the door closed and allow him to cool off for 10-15 minutes.  Then let him back out and try to distract him with a toy.