Domestic shorthair or different breed?

joflo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted my cat Maple almost a year ago as a kitten and she has grown beautifully into her pattern and color but I can't figure out if she's a domestic shorthair that is just tabby mixed with tortoiseshell (torbie) or if she's a different breed all together like an Ocicat Classic or even a Sokoke.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joflo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is an additional picture of her side and color which is where my confusion comes from
20230218_091758.jpg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
:loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes: What a gorgeous kitty.
Without a known history (pedigree) she is considered a Domestic Shorthair.
Her color/pattern is brown patched classic tabby. Brown patched tabby is not really uncommon, occurring in a number of different breeds and in the random cat population. In general the mackerel tabby (stripes) is more common than the classic (swirls/bullseye) pattern.

Holistic Cat Mama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted my cat Maple almost a year ago as a kitten and she has grown beautifully into her pattern and color but I can't figure out if she's a domestic shorthair that is just tabby mixed with tortoiseshell (torbie) or if she's a different breed all together like an Ocicat Classic or even a Sokoke.
She is gorgeous! She looks like she might have a little Bengal in her!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is an additional picture of her side and color which is where my confusion comes fromView attachment 443918
she is a torbie, no doubt, classic tabby and tortie; and that is why she has her gorgous colors... But its not impossiblel she has a bengal Ancestor, adding to this beautiful rich colors; and also, she seems to have shadows of rosettes...

Although how it comes I dont know, because spotted tabby gene dominates over classic tabby...

Anyway, technically she will always be counted as a domestic short hair, patched tabby (or torbie).
Gorgious as it may be.

Holistic Cat Mama Holistic Cat Mama

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a beauty😻 I agree she is a classic torbie domestic short hair but to me she also looks like she could have some Bengal ancestry maybe. Very beautiful pattern she has, the thing that makes it stand out is the contrasting light background around the swirls and patches. The background looks ticked to me too.