Domestic or purebred siamese?

porscher

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi,

I have bought this kitten from a shelter under the impression that it's a siamese or at least that's what they have told me when I bought it. After doing my own search I found out that siamese cats don't have white paws, then I saw the snowshoe breed yet my kitten does not have that inverted white V patch on her face. Now I'm quite sure it's a domestic shorthair but does she have anything related to siamese or snowshoe or even ragdoll breeds?

Thanks.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely your kitten is a Snowshoe/Siamese mix and a beautiful, gorgeous one at that. You are very, very lucky to have found such a beauty. Congratulations on your new kitten which I am sure will bring you many years of joy, fun and looking beautiful all at the same time. :wavey:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

porscher

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I am really happy with her even if she wasn't of pure breed. I was really worried about it being very vocal like purebred siamese but she's very quiet. I'm not sure if that's going to change anytime soon. :)

sunflowers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is very pretty! I just love cats with blue eyes. I am not an expert in cat breeds so I can't help there, but based upon looks, she definitely has those breeds going for her.

How long have you had her? I don't have much experience with kittens, but my girl was immediately very chatty. She started talking to me from the 1st day I got her and she brought in as a feral. My sisters adult cat was never chatty as a kitten and just meows sometimes for food or to be let outside. Seems like a possible trend.

You could be lucky and get a quiet kitty. Unless she picks up that you respond to sound. Then she might become super chatty.

porscher

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She's adorable and very quiet so far. My two year old son is giving her hard time adapting to her new home but she's getting comfortable slowly.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being a Siamese mix she most likely will be come a bit talkative! It is possible that she is more quiet right now because you mention about your two year old son giving her a hard time. She may be a little insecure and once she is settled in, trusts the whole family, and feels safe/secure then she may become more vocal. ;) My SIL has cats and toddlers and she tells them to treat the kitties gently the way mommy treats them (the children). Seems to work because they care for the kitten like a child. :lol3: Pretty cute to see. Good luck with your new kitten!!! She certainly is adorable. :rub: :wavey:

Last edited:

porscher

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My son is a little brat, he thinks she's just another toy! That's why I try my best to keep him away from her but in the same time try to let him pet her gently under my supervision, hopefully he will understand and she will get used to him.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I am really happy with her even if she wasn't of pure breed. I was really worried about it being very vocal like purebred siamese but she's very quiet. I'm not sure if that's going to change anytime soon.
What a sweet little cat, porscher! We have two Siamese mixes -- one's a snowshoe -- and they are both pretty quiet. They do mew a bit, usually when they want food, but they're neither loud (maybe because they're small?) nor constant chatterers. When we adopted them in December they were 10 months old and almost completely silent.

siamese mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've got two Siamese (well, five now that Mom had kittens two weeks ago)...  Our female is quiet.  Other than a small meow when she wants a treat, she is very quiet.  Our male makes up for her, though.  I'm surprised the neighbors don't hear him when he's chatty!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 Our male makes up for her, though.  I'm surprised the neighbors don't hear him when he's chatty!
My Siamese, Pipsqueak, is a neutered male and IS VERY, VERY VOCAL !!!!!!! :lol3: Especially when he wants me to toss his puff ball or when he carries the puff ball around in his mouth. You almost need ear plugs during those times.

porscher

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd never imagine a chatty cat since this is my first cat and I am greatful she's quiet.

I'm a little disappointed she doesn't play much with any toy we buy for her. She always finds something else like a piece of furniture or floor mat to play with and that's driving my wife a little crazy because she doesn't want her to mess up the furniture.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have bought this kitten from a shelter under the impression that it's a siamese or at least that's what they have told me when I bought it. After doing my own search I found out that siamese cats don't have white paws, then I saw the snowshoe breed yet my kitten does not have that inverted white V patch on her face. Now I'm quite sure it's a domestic shorthair but does she have anything related to siamese or snowshoe or even ragdoll breeds?

Thanks.
What an exceptionally beautiful kitty. One thing to remember is that the coloring of a cat is only one indicator of a cat's breed. The pointed gene (the darker points, and a lighter coat everywhere else) is a genetic mutation. It's actually a form of Albinism as all pointed cats are born totally white, and then the color shows up as they age. Most will get darker as they age. The Snow Shoe coloring is a mutation of the standard pointed color in which there is a loss of pigmentation on the paws and face of a pointed cat. 

The Siamese mutation, or the aforementioned Snow Shoe mutation are traits that show up in all domestic cats. They are more rare than say, tabby, or tortoiseshell colors, but common nonetheless. Shelters have a really bad habit of listing cats as a particular breed b/c they don't understand much about feline ancestry/genetics. I personally think they advertise cats as a particular breed to "market" them and hopefully make room for another needy cat. If the latter is true, it's somewhat unethical, but I do understand the need to place the kitties. Therefore, I don't fault them for doing so. 

I would say your kitty would be considered a beautiful pointed domestic short hair. That doesn't make her any less special. In fact it makes her unique. Just as unique as my two domestic kitties, and the many others here on this board. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd never imagine a chatty cat since this is my first cat and I am greatful she's quiet.

I'm a little disappointed she doesn't play much with any toy we buy for her. She always finds something else like a piece of furniture or floor mat to play with and that's driving my wife a little crazy because she doesn't want her to mess up the furniture.
It is possible, as I mentioned above, that she is still adjusting to her new home, environment and a bit unsure still because of your two year old learning how to handle her gently. ;) Have you tried some small furry toys with added catnip? That may get her started on a toy and she may pick one favorite. There are also the wand toys BUT make sure, absolutely sure, you do not leave the wand toy loose in the house. Kittens and most cat's, for that matter, will chew on the string and ingest it. I keep my wand toys in a cabinet for storage when not in play. These are interactive toys and a great way to build up your relationship with her and her confidence in playing. Sometimes it is just finding the right kind of toy that your kitty prefers.

These are a big hit around my house - the spring toys. Also - these puff balls These puff balls can be rolled in a little bit of catnip too. HAVE FUN with your new kitten. :wavey:

monkeymom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very beautiful kitty! I also have a Snowshoe girl, and I think based on her face/ear shape, she's part Siamese. She was also very quiet at first. If she wants to be heard though, she WILL make sure I know :) Usually though, her purrs and meows are very soft, including the silent meow. The loudest thing is when she chatters at the birds. Good luck with your kitten!

porscher

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the great info. She's adapting very well to her new home she's become attached to me, she follows me everywhere I go.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the great info. She's adapting very well to her new home she's become attached to me, she follows me everywhere I go.
That's great to hear, porscher. When we first got our cats I read that snowshoes tended to get attached to one person and follow that person... which ours does, too, though she'll also follow my husband around now, too. She loves lying in my lap while I'm working, which is very nice, though sometimes she'll stay for an hour or two.