Dogs and Cats?

shadda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All!

So, my wife and I have a beautiful 3 1/2 year old Flat Coated Retriever/Colly mix (45lb's so not huge). We finally purchased the house we've wanted and because of that are able to FINALLY adopt a cat/kitten. Our apartment was always too small (really for the dog too).

Now, my dog is very friendly towards cats. She will back the cat into a corner and try to put her butt in the cats face. She will sneak up on my moms cats and try and lick them. Or, when visiting, if one of the cats (she has 4 and 2 dogs) is on her dog bed, she will partially cuddle up with the cat.

My big question, i have a cat loving Dog, how do i find a dog loving Cat?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go to a shelter and they should be able to tell you if the cat is dog friendly.

They usually have a good amount of background (a good shelter does) on surrendered cats.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try going to your local shelter, tell them that your looking for a cat that's been around dogs, and likes dogs. Or try petfinder.com sometimes they say whether the cat can be with dogs or not.

mabare060609

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think a kitten is a good bet because he/she will grow up with the dog, knowing the dog is her friend. I used to have a pit bull and calico. The calico would beat up the pit playing. It was really cute to watch. My pit loved it.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 6 cats and a female Collie mix. :p Only one of the cats (Poodle) love the dog tho. He is a freak though, not a normal cat at all LOL. The other cats do not care at all, they don't hiss at the dog or avoid her.

They simply couldn't care less. But if she gets in a playful mood and gets in their face like "hai, you wanna play?" then they may or may not slap her on the nose until she walks away. For us it isn't an issue at all. I thought I would have problems with her since she is a herding breed, they usually try to herd cats/people/dogs.

Iam not so sure that they don't think she is a big (47lbs) cat..... lol. They all (cats and dog) sleep on my bed, sometimes touching.

So it's not impossible, but don't have your heart stuck on having the cat love the dog. That is going to be harder to find than a cat that simply tollerates dogs.

Good luck!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is a Sphynx and she adores all dogs.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many shelters do in home fostering and many people who foster animals typically have both cats and dogs. Talk to your shelter and ask them if they have kittens or cats available that are being fostered in homes with dogs.

I do have one cat that absolutely LOVES dogs (Stumpy). He grew up with them as a kitten, played with them for hours, and when the last of those crossed, he went into deep grieving for nearly a year until we adopted 2 puppies. He practically did cartwheels in glee when we brought those puppies into the house. I wish I could clone that dog loving gene.

However, when I brought those puppies into my house, I had other resident cats who had not experienced dogs before. They've all learned to tolerate the dogs, and those that attempted to play with them back then are still affectionate to them today. But there are still a few of mine that will never do more than tolerate a dog. I really think it's part of their personality to either like or tolerate/dislike dogs.