Dog To Cat Kennel Cough?

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, things have been cruising along pretty well in this household.

My old lady, Hariette, suddenly decided that yesterday she wasn't interested in food and she has decided that pooping is for the birds. Today, she has been much better, eating but still no poop. In my vigilance of her, I hear the dog coughing outside.

Well, dog goes to the vet in the morning, but I am almost 100% certain that he has kennel cough. My question is: can kennel cough be transferred between cats and dogs?

I have my old lady cat, who is pretty healthy. I have a young adult kitten, who is very healthy. I have a middle aged cat, who is very health (with a skin allergy). I am, of course, most worried about old lady cat getting an illness. All are current on vaccinations.

On another note, I am so incredibly mad about this! Dog just got vaccinated for bordatella in October.

Someone ease my mind!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid it may be transferable. I had to board two cats decades ago when we moved here, and the vet wasn't anything to brag about. His kennel was full of dogs, and my two cats came home with kennel cough. One got well by herself, but I had to take my second cat to another vet. Luckily, one shot of an antibiotic cleared it up. If your cat is feverish (feel her ears to see if they are hotter than normal) and has a cough and congestion, take her to the vet. It can be easily treated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far, she is her normal self besides the not eating yesterday. Who knows why she decided to do that. She's gaining back her weight today. I'm more worried about the dog, but it seems that this is something that is very treatable.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, hes going to the vet no matter what in the morning. In the mean time, I gave him two Benedryl and got him to eat some kibble and drink some water. He wanted to go back outside for a little bit and now he's in his kennel for the night. My old lady cat is snuggled with me tonight.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't it true that the Bordetella vaccine vaccinated the most common versions of kennel cough but not all so there is still a chance the dog can catch something? Also I think cats only catch a certain version of kennel cough from dogs, so it is rare but not unheard of for the dog to pass it to the cats.

I am going off memory but it's been awhile since I worked at a vet clinic.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, things have been cruising along pretty well in this household.

My old lady, Hariette, suddenly decided that yesterday she wasn't interested in food and she has decided that pooping is for the birds. Today, she has been much better, eating but still no poop. In my vigilance of her, I hear the dog coughing outside.

Well, dog goes to the vet in the morning, but I am almost 100% certain that he has kennel cough. My question is: can kennel cough be transferred between cats and dogs?

I have my old lady cat, who is pretty healthy. I have a young adult kitten, who is very healthy. I have a middle aged cat, who is very health (with a skin allergy). I am, of course, most worried about old lady cat getting an illness. All are current on vaccinations.

On another note, I am so incredibly mad about this! Dog just got vaccinated for bordatella in October.

Someone ease my mind!
Bordatella (from what I can recall) is not 100% effective, and doesn't protect against all strains of it, unfortunately.
Has the older cat shown signs like coughing, sneezing, etc?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's my understanding that the bacteria from kennel cough is airborne and can be transmitted from dogs to cats. However, cats are more resistant to it than dogs. It helps that all your animals are up to date with their vaccinations. Obviously talk with your vet about your concerns especially since you mentioned you think your dog may have contracted kennel cough.

Please keep us updated on Hariette and your kitten, as well as your dog. :alright:

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
None of the cats are coughing or sneezing at the moment. The dog's coughing only started tonight. He was boarded at the vet over the holiday, so he might have picked i up there. There are also a lot of dogs he comes into contact with in the neighborhood.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, the dog has an upper respiratory infection. The vet doesn't suspect Bordatella simply because he was just vaccinated for it around a month ago. He has antibiotics, a cough suppressant, and he is to take Benedryl for the next week. He sounds terrible, but he's still bright and active.

All of the cats seem to be fine as well. The vet didn't think that he would transmit the illness to them as he is almost totally outside and the only cat that will curl up with him is being quarantined.

Old lady cat also pooped today! Everything seems to be going better. Now, to get the dog better....

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Everything seems to be going better. Now, to get the dog better....
Thanks for updating us with mostly positive good news. :thumbsup: As for your dog, I sincerely hope his URI clears up soon. Sending special thoughts and healing vibes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes: