Dog food recipe?

lehighluke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Ive been feeding my 2 cats raw food (Dr. Pierson recipe) since I've had them for over a year....they are the best, healthiest kitties you've ever seen...a majority of their awesomeness is credited to their diet.

Anyway, the wife and I are thinking about adopting a dog to join the clan, and of course I'll feed her raw food as well.  I just can't find a good resource (like catnutrition.org) for dogs.  Common sense tells me that the diet should be pretty similiar, if not exactly the same as the cat food, except just larger chunks for chewing.  However, I don't want to assume..maybe I need to add different vitamin supplements or something.  Also, so many recipes onling call for all kinds of veggies, which I honestly think is dumb.  Although dogs are opportunistic, and CAN eat some grains/veg...if given the choice in the wild I believe they would be eating animal meat, and can survive/thrive on a carnivore diet the best.

I never saw a nature documentary where wolves are digging up potatoes and carrots.

Anyway, does anyone here have a dog that you feed raw, and whats your recipe, or is it different than the cat food you make?

Thanks!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*Just a disclaimer that I don't have a dog and haven't done much research on dog nutritional needs. My opinions are based solely on internet reading while researching a raw cat diet and stumbling across a few dog forums too :)*

Not many differences between dog and cat nutritional needs. You're right that dogs can have fruits and veggies as they are carnivores but not the OBLIGATE carnivores that cats are. You can include veggies in your meal plan but it isn't necessary from what I have gathered.

One of the differences that I have read is that it is better to give dogs more red meat (beef, bison, venison) than white meat but I'm sure a 50/50 would be fine.

Also, if I had a dog, I would be more inclined to feed him Prey Model Raw as opposed to ground but that's my own opinion. Dogs (I have read) are super easy to transition because they supposedly eat anything. But I'm sure it depends on the dog, just like cats.Lots of people (even my holistic vet) emphasized how difficult it would be to transition my 8 & 3 year old cats but they took to raw like a duck to water. And when I offered bone-in meats they crunched away.

The recipe that you feed your cats should be fine to feed the dog sometimes, but I would incorporate a lot more beef. The 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organs (half amount of organ being liver) is a good rule to follow. Your bones would not be beef bones but depending on the size of the dog you would feed chicken wings, necks, turkey necks, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lehighluke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys...that PDF in particular was great. I don't think I'm going to do Franken prey...but at least I know what my options are. I am rescuing a 3 yo pit bull...so I look forward to just getting her healthy with good diet to start,and I will tailor the feeding to her personality in time. Getting her tomorrow...wish me luck!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol I prefer this site

http://www.rawfeddogs.net/Recipes/

but preymodelraw.com also has a nice starter plan for prey model

My dogs, cat and ferret all get different proteins depending on what they can and will eat but all eat prey model, no veggies, no supplements.  Thanks for rescuing btw, I have three bully mutts myself although this will probably be my last cat, terriers and kitties is a fine line as is and I'm looking into even more prey driven breeds for the future.