Dog bark causing redirected aggression/anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My neighbor has a giant Doberman. He/she barks at everything that moves every time it’s out in the yard to pee/poop. I like dogs but I’m not going to lie that I don’t like the neighbor for never doing much about training their said dog.

Well anyways, My cat has been alright with it for the past few years. Would even sit by the window undisturbed just staring at it. She recently associated a loud unrelated noise that spooked her with the dog barking outside and then went into redirected aggression mode. I’ve dealt with redirected aggression in the past (couple years ago she attacked my leg out of nowhere while excercising and vet helped me to figure out it was the construction noise outside causing stress. Once I moved her to a room with less noise she was completely fine. Construction has been long done for over a year now and and we hadn’t had any episodes since...until now).

I should note the dog is not barking directly at her. It’s usually barking at the car passing by or the other dog across the street and the blinds are partially closed.

Since I dealt with redirected aggression before, I have a protocol and usually just get her snack, walk slowly leading her to a room set up with her litter and water and keep her there by herself until she’s calm.

So she’s back to being herself on the most part but whenever the dog barks now she gets clearly anxious and just looks like one wrong move will set her off to aggression mode again. She starts being startled by every noise in the house, looks at everyone in the house like they are a potential danger, gets those crazy eyes like something is out to get her.

I’m going back and forth between putting her back into the room by herself when she’s clearly anxious and letting her out when she’s calmer.

I know it’s only been a few days and it’ll take some time for her to kind of be out of this state, But is there anything else I can do that would help her unassociate dog barking with danger? She also seems to be associating the window that the dog is closest to to be danger as well now and anybody who gets close to it will get scratched (my family member tried opening the said window yesterday to freshen the air inside and she ran up to her and scratched her).

She had made a little bit of progress in that she sat on my lap periodically while the dog is barking outside. But again, if anyone can suggest any way she can go back to simply being not bothered by barking I’d appreciate it.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about playing some cat music? Gonna be honest, I don't even really know what that is or where to get it, but Furballsmom Furballsmom through an article my way with a bit of research. Apparently, there is some real evidence its a real thing and it might well help cats relax. Here, if you can have it loud enough to block some of the dog noise, it stands to reason it might help. Maybe if there is a room on the far side of the house, you could keep her there a day or two, to the extent necessary. Some combination of those two things is all I can really think of.

CassieAndCooper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried pheromone spray before? My cat has recently started dealing with redirected aggression and I was just reading a few nights ago that pheromone spray can help ease it up a bit for them. I know there are wall plug-ins that you can buy at most pet supply stores. Maybe plugging one in next to the offending window would help? I've used the handheld sprays for vet visits and found them to be pretty helpful!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
How about trying the 'thunder shirt' for cats.
ThunderShirt for Cats
(I honestly don't know if it works, but I did see it in one of the vet clinics, here, years ago, so maybe worth a try.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y31JT2/?tag=thecatsite
THUNDERSHIRT Anxiety & Calming Aid for Cats, Heather Grey, Small - Chewy.com

You might even be able to make your own...if you look up 'DIY thundershirt for cats'...online.
Cat Thunder Shirt
And an old Cat Site thread...with a few photos of another diy thundershirt pattern:
why does our home made thunder shirt work on our rescue cat Dolly?

Perhaps, also trying some 'cat calming treats'...may help reduce some of her stress...or help her relax and not be as bothered, when the dog barks.
Amazon.com : calming cat treats
I'd ask your Vet, first though, in case any of the ingredients would bother her.

If you do a "Search" in the upper right corner...you'll find this thread may be helpful.
(Not the same issue as your cat...but has some good recommendations.
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I will second the cat music, while not every one we listened to helped some just chilled my cats out immensely. In all fairness dogs bark they are being dogs just like cats are being cats it's not a matter of not training. Not to discredit your judgement, but are you 100% certain it's the dog's barking? Seems like the cat was fine with the dog prior to one event.

Again, try the cat music and whatever positive actions you can to help the cat associate with the noise.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will second the cat music, while not every one we listened to helped some just chilled my cats out immensely. In all fairness dogs bark they are being dogs just like cats are being cats it's not a matter of not training. Not to discredit your judgement, but are you 100% certain it's the dog's barking? Seems like the cat was fine with the dog prior to one event.

Again, try the cat music and whatever positive actions you can to help the cat associate with the noise.
I wondered about this too. OP did mention that there was a loud noise while the dog was barking, and thinks that somehow the cat linked the loud noise with the dog. I've never actually heard of redirected aggression working exactly like this, but I suppose its consistent with the concept.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only see her agitated when the dog barks. So I assumed she falsely attributed the noise that scared her with the dog barking.

From what I have read, cats work by associating things. They sometimes associate and attribute things incorrectly. Reading about redirected aggression, it seems it is generally about false attribution.

One common example of redirected aggression I’ve seen in other peoples cases is how two cats living indoors who have always been friendly can all the sudden become agitated and unfriendly to each other because they sense/smell a stray cat outside. They falsely are attributing the alarm caused by the stray cat to each other.

I’m not faulting the dog for being a dog, but compared to all the other dogs in the neighborhood the one my neighbor has does bark excessively. This is just a fact.
My neighbor is also generally a headache in many regards (plays music with bass turned up loudly during the night for hours, left a huge amount of poop in our yard, among many other things). There is a long history of frustration towards my neighbors that is a completely different topic. I don’t fault the dog, but I don’t exactly find myself extending my heart to it in ways that I would to other dogs because of who their owners are and how unkind they have always been.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Well anyways, My cat has been alright with it for the past few years. Would even sit by the window undisturbed just staring at it. She recently associated a loud unrelated noise that spooked her with the dog barking outside and then went into redirected aggression mode.
That's so interesting.
Since dogs have various barks...to signal danger, fear, boredom, excitement, guarding their home,...it would be so amazing if Catalinacat's cat...actually understood all the different barks...and is reacting to the same warning signal that the dog is giving off.
Though, not sure how that would tie-in to the...hearing a loud unrelated noise that spooked her...unless the dog heard it, too.

If they actually saw the same thing out the window...that would be even more understandable.
I should note the dog is not barking directly at her. It’s usually barking at the car passing by or the other dog across the street and the blinds are partially closed.
Does your cat get nervous...when the dog across the street barks?
So she’s back to being herself on the most part but whenever the dog barks now she gets clearly anxious and just looks like one wrong move will set her off to aggression mode again. She starts being startled by every noise in the house, looks at everyone in the house like they are a potential danger, gets those crazy eyes like something is out to get her.
Almost like the dog's barking is a trigger...about the association of the 'unrelated noise' that scared her...in the first place.
If you can break...this association...to what spooked her....then you might be able to get her to calm down faster.
Making positive associations...when the dog is barking...would be one way...but only if she is food motivated and likes treats/wet food...or you can get her to Play...and feel good and distracted.
She had made a little bit of progress in that she sat on my lap periodically while the dog is barking outside. But again, if anyone can suggest any way she can go back to simply being not bothered by barking I’d appreciate it.
Along with cat music, even trying to drown out the barks...with background noise...such as a fan, talk radio, or acting all calm, confident and neutral...so she picks up on your positive emotions, too.

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The dog was barking at my family member shoveling snow from our sidewalk and scraping ice from the car. Said family member doesn’t mind the dog and ignored it. My cat is friendly with all family members and have seen people shovel snow and scrape ice before without problem.

Other dogs in my neighborhood aren’t barkers so I can’t really tell you how my cat would react to it.

Generally speaking my cat isn’t that bothered by animals or the ongoings of things outside the window. She was not even bothered by this dog’s barking before. But considering she has a history of noise sensitivity with the construction trigger, I personally just assumed it was the noise that bothered her most. But now she acts as if the bark is a precursor to something happening like said noise.

Nevertheless she has been having a better day today and I just hope time will be the things that heal. She slept on my lap and only pricked her ears when the dog barked rather than pacing around frantically like she was doing before.

Last edited:

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

What would you suppose is the cause if it is not the dog? Like I said, I’m assuming she falsely attributed the noise to the dog. I don’t see her getting agitated otherwise.

Also please see my other comment regarding the neighbor. I can tell you’re a dog lover. So am I, but the neighbor has always been difficult to deal with henceforth why you may notice an undertone of annoyance towards the owners. Don’t take it personally if you do have a dog that barks. I understand some people try their best and the dog still barks. But my patience has been strung out with this particular neighbor after years of dealing with their other behavior.

Last edited:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
What would you suppose is the cause if it is not the dog? Like I said, I’m assuming she falsely attributed the noise to the dog. I don’t see her getting agitated otherwise.

Also please see my other comment regarding the neighbor. I can tell you’re a dog lover. So am I, but the neighbor has always been difficult to deal with henceforth why you may notice an undertone of annoyance towards the owners. Don’t take it personally if you do have a dog that barks. I understand some people try their best and the dog still barks. But my patience has been strung out with this particular neighbor after years of dealing with their other behaviors.
I’m not offended nor taking it personally and yes I love dogs and all animals. I personally don’t believe in training a dog not to bark in general.

Anyway back to your cat. What was the loud noise that occurred?

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not offended nor taking it personally and yes I love dogs and all animals. I personally don’t believe in training a dog not to bark in general.

I don’t think you’re being particularly understanding of my neighborhood situation. I do not want advice from someone who doesn’t try to see the whole picture. Being a pet owner doesn’t mean we lose consideration for other people around us. And as far as I’m concerned neighbor doesn’t even walk their dog, which often does lead to pent up stress and excessive barking.
Would it be possible for a dog to stop barking completely? No. But you can definitely tell them to hush without it affecting their wellbeing if they’re barking at a neighbor minding their own business and shoveling snow and doing other work around the house. You can teach them to differentiate the need to bark for emergency and for when it’s not. I can’t even have quiet time in my yard during nicer weathers because this dog barks too much. There’s difference between a dog barking just cuz at a squirrel or a car passing by or when there is an emergency, which is understandable, but it’s a totally different degree to constantly harass neighbors for simply being outside in their own space on top of having other noise disturbance like music playing loudly in the middle of the night. If you think the same way as this selfish neighbor, or even remotely defend their behavior, I don’t want your advice. Because that shows unsound judgment to me.

For anybody else, i don’t know what the other noise was. If I knew I would’ve been able to describe it better.

Last edited:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think you’re being particularly understanding of my neighborhood situation. I do not want advice from someone who doesn’t try to see the whole picture.
Now that I take personally I’m trying to help and you’ve only attacked me.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Also please see my other comment regarding the neighbor. I can tell you’re a dog lover. So am I, but the neighbor has always been difficult to deal with henceforth why you may notice an undertone of annoyance towards the owners.
(You might be asking CatladyJan...this question directly...but I'll throw in my reply, ...too.)

I thought it was... the 'unrelated noise that spooked her'...which caused her fear...to begin with.
The dog was barking at my family member shoveling snow from our sidewalk and scraping ice from the car. Said family member doesn’t mind the dog and ignored it. My cat is friendly with all family members and have seen people shovel snow and scrape ice before without problem.

Other dogs in my neighborhood aren’t barkers so I can’t really tell you how my cat would react to it.
Perhaps your cat was also reacting...in a sort of 'protective fashion' over you...and your family members.
Hearing the dog barking...at your family member shoveling snow...might have triggered...her maternal instincts...of protection, too,....over the entire family.

Since you mentioned...before...that she also got agitated...when a family member tried to open that window...then perhaps she wanted to 'warn that family member of any 'perceived threat of danger'....that she felt.
Generally speaking my cat isn’t that bothered by animals or the ongoings of things outside the window. She was not even bothered by this dog’s barking before. But considering she has a history of noise sensitivity with the construction trigger, I personally just assumed it was the noise that bothered her most. But now she acts as if the bark is a precursor to something happening like said noise.

Nevertheless she has been having a better day today and I just hope time will be the things that heal. She slept on my lap and only pricked her ears when the dog barked rather than pacing around frantically like she was doing before.
Sounds good.
She's also picking up...on your calm feelings and emotions, too.
So....being calm as you are...is helping her.

I don’t think you’re being particularly understanding of my neighborhood situation. I do not want advice from someone who doesn’t try to see the whole picture. Being a pet owner doesn’t mean we lose consideration for other people around us. And as far as I’m concerned neighbor doesn’t even walk their dog, which often does lead to pent up stress and excessive barking.
Would it be possible for a dog to stop barking completely? No. But you can definitely tell them to hush if they’re barking at a neighbor minding their own business and shoveling snow and doing chores that have to be done. I can’t even have quiet time in my yard because this dog barks too much. There’s difference between a dog barking just cuz at a squirrel or a car passing by or something which is understandable, but it’s a totally different degree to constantly harass neighbors for simply being outside in their own space on top of having other noise disturbance like music playing loudly in the middle of the night.
Whoah.
This kind of sounds more like a 'neighbour issue'...and you are rightly being frustrated by all that is going on...with your neighbor.
Your stressed and angry... emotions....towards your neighbour...might be...being transferred onto your cat.

But wrongly...you are taking it out...on CatladyJan...who only asked about 'what the loud noise that occurred'...was.:dunno:

That is a personal attack...at someone who is only trying to ...understand the entire picture. :disappointed:

Last edited:

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No she said that she thinks a dog can not be trained to differentiate when to bark for emergency or not. That would include the idea that she thinks a dog should not be told to shush when it’s harassing a neighbor excessively. That to me shows that she is probably the same as this inconsiderate neighbor and I have every right not to want to constantly have to explain my situation over and over again to someone who is not trying to be understanding or have clear judgment and consideration for a situation that is stressful on many ends.

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that’s what I said, many many many times now. She wrongly associated the noise with the dog and now is being triggered with the dog bark. How many more times do you need me to say it? You guys are running the conversation in circles at this point just because you misread and are trying to complicate it more than it needs to be.

thanks for no help. I’m looking for advice from people who dealt with similar, not someone who hadn’t and needs convincing of the things laid out in front of them. That’s really annoying to not be believed when that is exactly how it happened and that is exactly what I’m seeing in front of me.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
No she said that she thinks a dog can not be trained to differentiate when to bark for emergency or not. That would include the idea that she thinks a dog should not be told to shush when it’s harassing a neighbor excessively. That to me shows that she is probably the same as this inconsiderate neighbor and I have every right not to want to constantly have to explain my situation over and over again to someone who is not trying to be understanding or have clear judgment and consideration for a situation that is stressful on many ends.
Not exactly.

She only said that she doesn't "personally believe"... "in training a dog not to bark in general."
Nothing to do with... all your understandable stress and frustrations...about your neighbour...or throwing her into that same category ...as your neighbour.
Yeah, that’s what I said, many many many times now. She wrongly associated the noise with the dog and now is being triggered with the dog bark. How many more times do you need me to say it? You guys are running the conversation in circles at this point.

thanks for no help. I’m looking for advice from people who dealt with similar, not someone who hadn’t and needs convincing of the things laid out in front of them. That’s really annoying to not be believed when that is exactly how it happened.
Ahh....yeah.
I'm sorry you feel this way.
But it's understandable.
You're under a lot of stress.

I think...I better bow out...now.
Since what we are saying....is of no actual help.

I hope things do improve....with your cat...and your neighbour...but I don't actually know how...anyone...can actually control their neighbours.
We can only control....how we react...to them.
Sorry, about being no help.:frown:

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not exactly.

She only said that she doesn't "personally believe"... "in training a dog not to bark in general."
Nothing to do with... all your understandable stress and frustrations...about your neighbour...or throwing her into that same category ...as your neighbour.

Ahh....yeah.
I'm sorry you feel this way.
But it's understandable.
You're under a lot of stress.

I think...I better bow out...now.
Since what we are saying....is of no actual help.

I hope things do improve....with your cat...and your neighbour...but I don't actually know how...anyone...can actually control their neighbours.
We can only control....how we react...to them.
Sorry, about being no help.
Yeah you definitely need to stop. You are invalidating and very frustrating and want to clearly pick apart my words to find the tiniest things to disagree with . That’s not what you do to someone under stress or looking for help. Sorry I feel this way? What is your problem?
The underlying thing I get from you is that you want to say redirected aggression is the owner’s fault, which tells me you know nothing about how redirected aggression works.

None of this is about controlling my neighbor. I asked how I can help my cat and what I can do for her. I only gave my neighbors situation as context because many of you kept digging into whataboutism with the dog. I don’t understand why you and others would act like you know the situation more than I do when I’m living it. I already have that figured out as to why it happened and am giving the details quite plainly. I simply asked how a cat can be calmed by a newly associated trigger. That’s it.

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
OK, can we all take a step back and a few deep breaths here? I do think catnap and catladyjan were just trying to understand the situation better and were looking at it from all angles to give you the best advice they could.

catalinacat catalinacat I'm sorry you are dealing with the dog situation. I know you only gave the neighbor situation as context, but I really feel for you. I had neighbors that went through a quick succession of dogs that were really awful neighbors and really awful dog owners. I never had an issue with dogs prior to them moving in and by the time we moved I had a fear of large dogs. Yes, we moved because of them. I moved seventeen years ago and it took me years and years to get over it.

Can we keep the suggestions focused on how to help the cat and not how to change the neighbor or dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.