Does your cat vocalize whenever he/she jumps?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something I never could figure out. I've heard a few other cat people report this, but definitely not a common thing.

Willy vocalizes literally EVERY time he jumps, either up onto something, or down from something. It's always a little chirrup, an "Mmm" sound.

He's been doing this for the 8 years I've had him.

I've even recorded him doing this when I am not home (no other humans present) so it's definitely a habitual thing.

He was rescued from outside when young. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but one partial theory I have is he just heavily bonded with humans, and was always a lap-jumper, so maybe he developed the extra vocalization by associating it with jumping onto human laps. As we all know, vocalizations produce extra human attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Captain talks a LOT and sometimes he vocalizes during jumping :)
I'm more curious about the fact that Willy vocalizes ALWAYS, literally every single time, when jumping up/down to/from anything. It's so funny and always makes me imagine what's going on in his mind.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's also generally a very talkative cat, so that might be personality-related.

Constantly looks at me and vocalizes when I make eye contact. Maybe that was built into his psyche after being rescued.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of mine do as a regular thing. Daisy might announce she’s about to leap onto the bed, but that’s more to do with her nighttime squawking. Phoebe’s a chatterbox, so any trills she makes when jumping onto things don’t stand out.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm REALLY curious to know if there are any other cats like mine, that trill always, on every jump.

Even when he is doing multiple jumps in a row... like from the cat tree, to the windowsill, to the couch, to the coffee table, to my lap... he says "Mmm... Mmm... MMM... Mmm... MMM..." as he completes the sequence.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly it sounds like an endearing personality quirk. Mine does it sometimes when he sticks the landing, usually when he wants to surprise me late at night in the dark when I’m asleep.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy Sundar does, as he lands. It's almost as if the impact creates it. :)
Yes, that's actually how it works with Willy, too!

He starts the vocalization in advance, but as the impact of landing happens, he adds emphasis. Like "mmmMMMMMmmm" with you can imagine the capital "M"s being when his jump impact lands.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey is a talker!! When he is feeling good, and loving, each time he jumps, he goes: "BRrrrrump". I love it...

And he calls me wen he is doing something wrong--- as in walking on the kitchen counter...

We are always having conversations. He knows the word: 'Cuddle"... "Brushey". " Want brush-brush?"

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey is a talker!! When he is feeling good, and loving, each time he jumps, he goes: "BRrrrrump". I love it...
I've got to ask... is it every time he jumps, or almost every time?

That's the part that gets me about Willy's "talkative jumping" is that it is without fail. Even when nobody is home.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magnus does. He doesn't stop talking really. sometimes it involves some interesting vocalizations when he jumps off things. It's not always the same sounds though. He burrs, meows, chirps etc.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And he calls me wen he is doing something wrong--- as in walking on the kitchen counter...
Haha... in his older age, Willy doesn't do that kind of stuff much anymore, but I wish he was that type of cat in his younger years.

In my mind, this only cements the idea that cats know EXACTLY what is right and wrong, and do the wrong stuff on purpose to get our attention.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm more curious about the fact that Willy vocalizes ALWAYS, literally every single time, when jumping up/down to/from anything. It's so funny and always makes me imagine what's going on in his mind.
On the off chance it might be pain related, would be worth mentioning to a vet. Unlikely, given it's his entire life, but best safe than sorry.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the off chance it might be pain related, would be worth mentioning to a vet. Unlikely, given it's his entire life, but best safe than sorry.
Yeah, I doubt that is any reason for his vocalization, since he's been doing it since age 1-2. But I have other reasons to suspect he has arthritic pain.

He was declawed before I found him, and has recently stopped playing much on the floor. But I noticed he is more active when I toss a toy onto the couch. So I think he's likelier to play on soft surfaces.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a big fan of human-Elvis and this is just a perfect description of your cat.
Thanks! Elvis (the feline) LOVES adulation. Just like his namesake.
Yeah, I'd have a hard time trusting anyone who doesn't like Elvis (either one). Oh, and I'd add Elvis Costello in there, too. ;) *even though his given name is actually Declan*

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'd have a hard time trusting anyone who doesn't like Elvis (either one). Oh, and I'd add Elvis Costello in there, too. ;) *even though his given name is actually Declan*
Honestly I have to admit I NEVER knew that about Elvis Costello 😅 You taught me something in this very-unrelated thread 😅