Does your cat groom his/her bed

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sophie grooms her bed all the time. She spends a few minutes thoroughly licking it. Is this normal behavior? I have a video of it, but cannot seem to be able to upload it. Is she trying to tell me she needs a buddy?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think it is more likely that YOU want her to have a buddy - LOL!!! If Sophie does this mainly when she is getting ready to take a nap, it is likely a form of relaxation, similar to kittens/cat who suckle blankets/etc. and it is a soothing action for her. It could be related to that in the aspect that she was weaned or taken away from her mom too early. Or, it could just be Sophie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha! You are right, I would love a buddy for her (and for me as I would love a lap cat) but I don’t know how she would react and living in a studio makes introducing cats very difficult. She mainly does that and/or kneads before she goes for a nap so you are probably right, it’s relaxing/soothing for her. I do believe she was raised without her mama or at least was taken away too early. She is rough with claws and teeth so either mama didn’t have the time to teach her proper play etiquette, or her first owners taught her to play with hands, which might be cute when they are little but so not pleasant now! As long as it is a normal behavior, I don’t mind it at all, it’s so cute to watch!
Hi. I think it is more likely that YOU want her to have a buddy - LOL!!! If Sophie does this mainly when she is getting ready to take a nap, it is likely a form of relaxation, similar to kittens/cat who suckle blankets/etc. and it is a soothing action for her. It could be related to that in the aspect that she was weaned or taken away from her mom too early. Or, it could just be Sophie!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge sometimes do this but not often - more or less when they're licking each other and miss! Has she ever been around any other cats before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the information given by her previous owner to the shelter is correct, yes, she has and it didn’t go too well. It was one of the reasons given for surrendering her. However, there is no way to know if this is true. Given her character, I would be more inclined to say that it is because she has a tendency to nip and use her nails too freely. She plays rough and will not hesitate to use them if you don’t listen to her warning when she’s had enough interaction with you! Lol she also does things like stalking and “attacking” my legs. So maybe she does need a buddy. Who knows. All I know is I cannot do a proper introduction in a studio and it would be a living nightmare if things don’t go smoothly quickly.
Toffee and Fudge sometimes do this but not often - more or less when they're licking each other and miss! Has she ever been around any other cats before?