Does your cat act different around full moon?

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When full moon hits around here cynder tends to act different. He seems to have more crazy energy and gets himself into more trouble. example last night he jumped on the bookcase and decided to peer into the tall lamp we have behind it, and knocked down the lamp and almost broke the bulb. he also seems to not listen as well and just seems more hyper active around full moon. i was wondering if any of your pets do the same? I'm just curious to see if mine is the only one..

djwtrk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is too funny! I'm a retired teacher. One of our all-to-true teacher jokes was that we could tell when there was a full moon by the way our classes behaved. I've heard ER nurses say the same thing about patients. If it is true that PEOPLE react to the full moon cycle with unusual behavior, it is probably true to a greater extent for animals. My male cat whines more for the 2-3 days of a full moon. My older female gets a little meaner, batting our poor little Simaes mix around for no reason at all! Don't know why, but observation tells me you can expect your cat to go a little wack-o when the moon is full!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie is definitely a "lunatic". He seems to suffer from insomnia whenever the moon is full, because he runs around all night squealing and getting into things.We, of course, also aren't permitted to sleep then.

maxkitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think there's anything to this 'full moon' lunacy as it were except for humans as diurnal creatures can simply see better during a full moon's reflected light at night, where our night vision is normally limited (unlike a cat, who can see at night just fine). More people stay out later on nights with full-moons and this is probably responsible for any measurable uptick in shenanigans/crime/tomfoolery. In parts of the world where it's normally hot, full-moon nights offer not just visibility but cooler conditions ripe for frolicking. 

Cats are nocturnal and see well-enough at night as it is, so I can't imagine it'd be too different during a full-moon, especially for an indoor cat since a 'full' moon is just a lack of the Earth's shadow on the moon. I could see them being stimulated by the change though from a merely visual standpoint, just as humans are visually stimulated by the odd shadows and lighting created by eclipses or any change in routine.   

Last edited:

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never noticed it yet with my kitten, although I've only had him for three months - so I'll be keeping an eye out for this now. I've definitely nothing it with people though, so I wouldn't be surprised.