Does This Spay Wound Look Infected?

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She got spayed 9 days ago. Wound was looking great every day until now, there’s some yellow-ish goo looking stuff in the wound. Used to be a scab there. She must have been licking while we were out of the house.

Otherwise, she’s been pretty happy and acting normally.

Attachments

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, yes that does look like it is infected i would try and take her back to the vet that spayed her most of the time most vets will do a post op look at the incision site for free but you may wanna call ahead and ask before you head up there. Did they use dissolving stitches or regular? It looks pretty red she prob licked it raw and now she is getting a bit of puss i would have it checked asap if you can just to be on the safe side. She is beautiful by the way love her colors

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. We’ll take her in tomorrow am. She got the dissolvable stitche
Hello, yes that does look like it is infected i would try and take her back to the vet that spayed her most of the time most vets will do a post op look at the incision site for free but you may wanna call ahead and ask before you head up there. Did they use dissolving stitches or regular? It looks pretty red she prob licked it raw and now she is getting a bit of puss i would have it checked asap if you can just to be on the safe side. She is beautiful by the way love her colors

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did give us a cone, but she was doing so good, we weren’t using it. Any tips on getting her to not freak out when we put it on?
Yeah that is pus which usually means it is infected. You may want to keep a cone on her for a few days. I am suprised the vet didn't give you one.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Speckerton had to wear one for 3 weeks solid after her Pyometria surgery. :( The main thing is to be consistent with the wearing of the E-collar. In a very short period of time of taking it off, for your sanity or your cat's sanity, a lot of damage can be done to the surgery site. Also there are different type cones/collars you can buy at your local pet store retailer, which might be more comfortable than the plastic cone of shame. Best of luck to you and your cat and I hope that incision heals up nicely!

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She did give us a cone, but she was doing so good, we weren’t using it. Any tips on getting her to not freak out when we put it on?
Unfortunately cats are harder to get to wear the cone than dogs would be when i took my male in to get neutered he had to wear the cone of shame because he is a licker there really is no easy way to get them use to the collar you just have to put it on them and let them flip out a bit about it but after a little bit of time they do get use to it it makes you feel bad for them but its the best thing for them they do get use to it and get to where they will be able to eat and drink and use the litterbox this is my sebastian the day after he got neutered he was not a happy kitty but he got use to the cone and even became playful/loveable while wearing it. He was still heavily medicated during this time i walked in my bedroom to find him laying like this but of course after i stopped laughing i moved him so he wouldnt get a sore neck lol. Good luck i hope the vet says her wound is not to badly infected keep us posted please
20180214_105324.jpg

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love that picture! So cute. And your message makes me feel better, I'm looking forward to her getting more comfortable wearing the cone. We've got an appointment today at 3 pm, so I'll update the thread when we hear back.

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Speckerton had to wear one for 3 weeks solid after her Pyometria surgery. :( The main thing is to be consistent with the wearing of the E-collar. In a very short period of time of taking it off, for your sanity or your cat's sanity, a lot of damage can be done to the surgery site. Also there are different type cones/collars you can buy at your local pet store retailer, which might be more comfortable than the plastic cone of shame. Best of luck to you and your cat and I hope that incision heals up nicely!
Unfortunately cats are harder to get to wear the cone than dogs would be when i took my male in to get neutered he had to wear the cone of shame because he is a licker there really is no easy way to get them use to the collar you just have to put it on them and let them flip out a bit about it but after a little bit of time they do get use to it it makes you feel bad for them but its the best thing for them they do get use to it and get to where they will be able to eat and drink and use the litterbox this is my sebastian the day after he got neutered he was not a happy kitty but he got use to the cone and even became playful/loveable while wearing it. He was still heavily medicated during this time i walked in my bedroom to find him laying like this but of course after i stopped laughing i moved him so he wouldnt get a sore neck lol. Good luck i hope the vet says her wound is not to badly infected keep us posted pleaseView attachment 223341
I love that picture! So cute. And your message makes me feel better, I'm looking forward to her getting more comfortable wearing the cone. We've got an appointment today at 3 pm, so I'll update the thread when we hear back.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also would take her to the vet, glad you have an appointment. I had one that had quite a bit of problems, had to redo her surgery a few times. Hopefully yours is not so severe, let us know.

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok! Great news: the vet said it wasn’t too bad at all. Gave us a smaller cone and an antisceptic medicine to apply 2x a day for the next 12 days (I’m trying to remember all the details, just got off the phone with my wife who took her in).

Thank you so much for your advice and kind words. Helped me feel a lot better, and now hoping Marnie feels better too as she adjusts to a cone phase.

I’ll post a pic of her cutie self wearing the bonnet cone when I get home.

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad that the messages help i think that talking things over with people help a tremendous amount i am so glad that this site exists it has been so helpful to me and other people i just love meeting new people and meeting people that share the same passion for pets as i do lets me know i am not the only crazy lady out there for some of the stuff that i do with my pets LOL like i see people on here that dress their cats in cute outfits and i have done that a couple of times so its a good feeling when you know other people do it to lol. I hope she is doing well with her e-collar i know they hate it but you shouldn't need it on her to long if she is already 9 days in i hope her boo boo is doing good today. That is awesome that her wound isnt to bad it will heal up in no time with the ointment. She is so pretty i love her colors she is a cutie patooty for sure.