Does this sound like a URI or bronchitis? Vet visit or wait?

Gizm0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have 9 kitties, all indoor. Almost all of them have been completely vaccinated except my 2 youngest ones which I was waiting on their neuter appointment for. I started noticing one of them started sneezing and coughing (I guess it's considered coughing?) randomly about 3 days ago. I thought at first he had a hairball so I didn't think much of it. It's a dry sounding cough, he gets low of the ground, and stretches out his neck and it lasts about 30 seconds. At this point the sneezing is only 1-2x a day but he is coughing at least once every 2 hours, especially after some running around. Yesterday my full vaccinated older cat started coughing every now and then. I know the vaccines are just protection and not 100% but now I'm looking at a full breakout among all my cats. There was no way that I could've separated before the younger one started infecting everyone. The other cats are showing no symptoms but I have no idea if at this point it makes any sense to try and separate. They all drink out of the same bowls and eat around each other, play with each other, groom each other, ect. Should I try to separate anyways?

I know a uri usually passes on it's own but I never had a cat cough with a uri. Could this be the start of bronchitis or am I overreacting? If its bronchitis, would it be possible for the younger cat to infect the older one so fast? I'm torn whether to wait it out a week or see my vet. They have no other symptoms and are eating, drinking, using the litterbox and running full speed around the house still.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You should get him into the Vet ASAP. Coughing every 2 hours is a huge red flag. Could be asthma, or many other things but the coughing is concerning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizm0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I have 3 kitties going to the vet tomorrow. I think I was able to separate in time before it spread. Hopefully just a bad uri and nothing too serious!

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens are kind of notorious for getting URIs. I know both of my babies, Grimm and Si, had one not long after I adopted them. It's an easy fix at the vet's office, but the couching concerns me. I would definitely take them to the vet soon.