Does This Look Infected? Abscess Not Healing

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fried chicken might work, just mash it in. Tuna usually works well, or salmon, because they stink so much. Pieces of hot dog work well too. If she goes every other day without the pill then definitely consider the shot. Antibiotics just don't work given sporadically. You might try crushing it and see how that goes mixed in her wet food or something stinky. Just offer a little bit. You can feed her more after she takes the antibiotic. i would pick up all food and get her good and hungry. Good luck!

RCM mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another trick is putting pill in a bit is soft cheese, cream cheese, velveeta cheese even American cheese can be formed around pill. I never have luck crushing pill into food, I use wet food with chunks or shredded meats and just cover pill a bit. Helps if cat is hungry so even hold off feeding time a little later than normally do.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About the wound, I notice she doesn’t lick it as much as earlier. There is also less spotting. But it’s still quite raw. Is it normal after 3 days of licking? She may have been licking it all day while I’m out for work. I just don’t see her do it much when I’m at home.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Attempted pilling again this morning and failed. She knows what I’m about to do when I put her on the counter so lots of struggling. Pill went in and came out soggy. Wasted another one.

di and bob di and bob I will keep trying. Last resort would be to take her to the vet.

RCM mom RCM mom True..crushing doesn’t really work. Sigh..

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Should I get a Convenia shot? I’ve read about the side effects that some pets die after getting it.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the wound is healing nicely.
I know I’m being overly worried but the wound is still raw and red. Is it supposed to be like that after 3 days? She looked like she licked it into a crater although the size remains the same. Since she’s cleaning it on her own, I have not touched it since Sunday.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as though it's healing nicely especially after the infection. Think back to the last time you got a cut or a scrape. It takes a few days to make a scab, then after a few more days or a week the scab falls off and the area is left pink with all new skin that needs time to toughen up.

If this hasn't happened recently try to think about to when you skinned your knees as a child. Or when your playmates did. You had a week or more to show you fairly hideous scabs and brag about them. Healing isn't instant, it takes at least a week or two.

We were lucky when SG got a Convenia shot it only made her itch. She icthed sufficiently that she pulled all her fur off her stomach, her chest, her legs and her sides up to her back ridge. She was not a happy cat. And that is the best side effect you get with Convenia. Dispite it's current usage, and it is good for the impossible to pill, Convenia is supposed to be used for skin problems in dogs. Your cat doesn't have a skin problem and isn't a dog.

I think @Jcatbird might agree with me when I say, You gotta relax, blumarine916 blumarine916 , she's healing. If the place bleeds a bunch, or she starts limping, or crying, then take her back to the vet. For now, give it a couple of days.

Yes, it's a sort of scary dark red, but remember the first couple of days of a scrape. yes, it's been over a month but that's because the treatment was wrong. For her this is the first couple of days of the scrape.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And again because I think you need it cause you worry and that's so much better than not noticing or not caring.

Yes, the spot is a sort of scary dark red, but remember the first couple of days of a scrape. yes, it's been over a month but that's because the treatment was wrong. For her this is the first couple of days of the scrape.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. It’s been awhile since my last post since I got so worried over such a small thing.

As for update, the wound has stopped bleeding and have shrunk in size. Most of her fur has grown back although the area is still bald. I also notice the little red crater is now pink for the past week. Will it the skin ever grow back or will it be a permanent scar due to the wrong treatment in the beginning that caused the improper healing?

K Kflowers Thanks so much for all your advice and support on this. I realized I worried too much over this.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's always better to be too worried than not worried enough. Admittedly, it's hard on you, but it does save cats. You're a good cat person, blumarine916 blumarine916

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's always better to be too worried than not worried enough. Admittedly, it's hard on you, but it does save cats. You're a good cat person, blumarine916 blumarine916
Why do I have a bad feeling that this incident is going to repeat again? I keep watching my cat whenever she starts licking her butt...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You expect it to happen again because you are a worrier and this gives you something specific to worry about. You know this wound, you know what was done wrong and right to treat it, so part of you feels safer expecting it to happen again.

Truth cats are full of surprises.

Truth many cats go their entire lives without weird stuff happening. This means either there are just annual vet visits, or when you think something is freaking gonna kill the cat it turns out to be nothing.

Don't consider the cat a problem. If you weren't worried about something going wrong with kit, you'd find something else to worry about. That's why we have such big worry boxes. ;)

Hang in there, you aren't alone. Worriers are the ones who send the threads through the weave of life and hold it together.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s true. I’m worried about going through the whole stressful process of taking her to the vet, the pain of giving her medication and waiting for her to get better.

I checked on that slow healing wound yesterday. The bump is still there and I notice it’s also a tiny bit damp with something stinky. She’s not licking it all the time though. I’m worried because the last 2 times she licked so much she actually had a hole there. So I’m reminded of it.

Like you said, I just hope it’s nothing. Thanks for replying.