Does This Long Haired Black Kitten Belongs To A Certain Breed?

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Rescued this kitten yesterday.
It's extremely rare to see long haired cats in the streets where I live.
I'm afraid it was abandoned because the owners didn't expect this color among the kittens litter.
People here have negative superstitions about predominantly black cats.
Poor kitten. Glad he was saved while still being in good shape.
He's so friendly and affectionate.

So, what do you think is his breed?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to say thanks for the rescue. You say some are superstitious of black cats. What country are you in?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Without papers he's technically be a smoke Domestic Longhair, but he does look like he might have some longhaired Oriental influence with those big ears, wedge-shaped head, and slender body, but that look might be more common among the randombred cats in Saudi Arabia, because of the hotter climate. In the US, mixed breed cats tend toward more of a moderate body type, so when I see a more svelte cat, Oriental influence is the first thought. Your boy is certainly a beautiful, unique looking kitty! What's his name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Without papers he's technically be a smoke Domestic Longhair, but he does look like he might have some longhaired Oriental influence with those big ears, wedge-shaped head, and slender body, but that look might be more common among the randombred cats in Saudi Arabia, because of the hotter climate. In the US, mixed breed cats tend toward more of a moderate body type, so when I see a more svelte cat, Oriental influence is the first thought. Your boy is certainly a beautiful, unique looking kitty! What's his name?
I noticed that his big ears and triangle face resemble the standard Arabian Mau.
He is definitely not a pure Persian for example which is the most popular house cat in the Middle East.
The closest guessing I can make is a mix of Arabian Mau and Persian.
Some non-spayed Persian female cats escape during heat and mate with feral Arabian Mau males.

Didn't name him yet. Any suggestions?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I noticed that his big ears and triangle face resemble the standard Arabian Mau.
He is definitely not a pure Persian for example which is the most popular house cat in the Middle East.
The closest guessing I can make is a mix of Arabian Mau and Persian.
Some non-spayed Persian female cats escape during heat and mate with feral Arabian Mau males.

Didn't name him yet. Any suggestions?
Oh yeah, I didn't think of the fact that you have Arabian Maus in your area! Here in the US, we seem them as such a rare breed, but by you they must run around everywhere! ;)

What about Turkish Angoras? Are those common housecats by you? His fur does look kind of "Angora" to me. I feel like if he had Persian influence, he might have more of that brachycephalic (flat) face, but maybe the Persian genes were just expressed by his fur. :)

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I didn't think of the fact that you have Arabian Maus in your area! Here in the US, we seem them as such a rare breed, but by you they must run around everywhere! ;)

What about Turkish Angoras? Are those common housecats by you? His fur does look kind of "Angora" to me. I feel like if he had Persian influence, he might have more of that brachycephalic (flat) face, but maybe the Persian genes were just expressed by his fur. :)
Turkish Angoras are rare here.
When you go to pet stores in Saudi Arabia you will mostly see Persian and Ragdoll cats and the same thing apply to shelters along with rescued Arabian Mau cats.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it, the Persians in your country you talk about, are they the modern flat face persians, or are they persians of the old type, often called for Shirazi-Persian?

Re naming. He is apparently something unusual. Give him something unusual name. A royalty of they bygone days?

If he were a girl, Scheherezade (spelling?) - from the Thousand and one nights, would be nice, but not for a boy...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah Iknow, the emperor Harun al Rashid? Whom pften wandered in among his people in disguise.

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is it, the Persians in your country you talk about, are they the modern flat face persians, or are they persians of the old type, often called for Shirazi-Persian?

Re naming. He is apparently something unusual. Give him something unusual name. A royalty of they bygone days?

If he were a girl, Scheherezade (spelling?) - from the Thousand and one nights, would be nice, but not for a boy...
Most of them are Doll-Face Persians.

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg, I think his breed is Turkish Angora!
Take a closer look at the following pictures of him

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that too, but those are the only traits I see on him. I honestly don't think he's Mau. (unless it's just a tiny bit)