Does this incision look okay?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My niece had her cat spayed in an emergency surgery. The cat had an infection in her uterus. So they removed everything. My niece is really nervous because she was told what lola has could be fatal. She just wants some reassurance. The wound looks okay to me but I'm no expert.

This was a new vet she went to so she doesn't have their email yet and it's after hours.

IMG-20231103-WA0007.jpg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In a surgery like this, you have to be very careful to notify the vet with any concerns. Also important to give all medications as directed. Keeping the cat very quiet, even if that means in a cage. This is because you are caring for a cat that had a pus filled uterus. In cats, since they have multiple kittens, their uterus is very large. That is a large infected area and the risks associated would be sepsis. Also risks of surgery issues causing internal leakage etc. If this were a person, they would be hospitalized.
Another important thing is to do minimal handling of the cat. Use shredded paper instead of litter. Use a cone or recovery suite, cone better. This is to prevent licking or chewing the sutures. Make sure cat can eat and drink with the cone on. Don’t pick her up. Keep her small area clean and make sure she has a clean bed to sleep on.
Basically you set up a little infirmary for her at home. No jumping, running, climbing or stairs.
On the plus side, most cats do recover. It’s going to be a rough week or so, but she should get back to normal with proper care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a surgery like this, you have to be very careful to notify the vet with any concerns. Also important to give all medications as directed. Keeping the cat very quiet, even if that means in a cage. This is because you are caring for a cat that had a pus filled uterus. In cats, since they have multiple kittens, their uterus is very large. That is a large infected area and the risks associated would be sepsis. Also risks of surgery issues causing internal leakage etc. If this were a person, they would be hospitalized.
Another important thing is to do minimal handling of the cat. Use shredded paper instead of litter. Use a cone or recovery suite, cone better. This is to prevent licking or chewing the sutures. Make sure cat can eat and drink with the cone on. Don’t pick her up. Keep her small area clean and make sure she has a clean bed to sleep on.
Basically you set up a little infirmary for her at home. No jumping, running, climbing or stairs.
On the plus side, most cats do recover. It’s going to be a rough week or so, but she should get back to normal with proper care.
Thank you for all the information i will share it with my niece.