• Poll closed .

CookieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A1259C9F-C1C6-48CF-AD1F-25255A980C8C.jpeg
A224654D-8213-414E-884C-02E8DA71612E.jpeg
3B68D2D3-018D-4665-A3F0-C773C78FA520.jpeg

I’ve seen it quite a few times and it often sits in the gap of the overgrown bushes in front of my house. When I tried to get closer to it the first time, it went away but I saw it again and went a bit closer to it and it (there was a road in between us though) and I made a little noise to get it’s attention and it just looked at me but then continued to sit where it was. It doesn’t seem violent but I think it’s avoiding being social. I don’t know why I have a bathtub in my garden but it was raining and it got filled up with water and the cat started drinking a lot of it so I was wondering if it hadn’t had a drink in a long time, therefore, doesn’t have an owner. However, it does look like a large cat so I’m not sure. I have a video but it won’t upload so I put some pictures on instead. (Sorry if this thread/layout is kind of weird, I literally just made an account so I’m new to this)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to Cat Site!!! It really is a great place with lots of people, all willing to share their knowledge, experience, and lend a suggestion or a shoulder when either's needed. Never be afraid to ask a question (there's pretty much nothing that hasn't been asked - - and we all asked our first question at some point :)!). So glad you found us!!!

rubysmama rubysmama is right - - it's really hard to tell just by the photos and even the behaviors you described. She pointed you to a great article on this site. Definitely read that - - and I have another article that's helpful on the website of an organization called "Alley Cat Allies" - a site devoted to ferals, strays, TNR (trap/neuter and release), and more. So when you're done with the one she suggested - take a look at this one:

Feral and Stray Cats—An Important Difference

It takes some observation and interaction to really be able to tell....and even with that, sometimes cats that once had a home have, for whatever reason, been out on their own so long that they basically revert to feral behavior. But either way - - just noticing him, and seeing if he might need food/water/etc. is a wonderful start.

Keep us posted on what you think - - we've got lots of people who can offer you guidance on what to do next!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 indoor only cats hide from any noise like opening a trash can,doing the dishes, stepping on something, shutting a door,etc Take a pic and post it on fb and nextdoor. It is possible he belongs to someone or needs help

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:I am so glad you noticed the kitty. He’s a beautiful cat! It’s really lucky that you had water he could get to. I hope you can find out if he is alone in the world. Since he didn’t immediately run away, he may be used to seeing humans or want to be with humans. If he needs help, I hope you can help him. I think it’s wonderful that you care and wrote in to ask about him! :clap2:
Welcome to the site and please update us. Great photos!

CookieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to Cat Site!!! It really is a great place with lots of people, all willing to share their knowledge, experience, and lend a suggestion or a shoulder when either's needed. Never be afraid to ask a question (there's pretty much nothing that hasn't been asked - - and we all asked our first question at some point :)!). So glad you found us!!!

rubysmama rubysmama is right - - it's really hard to tell just by the photos and even the behaviors you described. She pointed you to a great article on this site. Definitely read that - - and I have another article that's helpful on the website of an organization called "Alley Cat Allies" - a site devoted to ferals, strays, TNR (trap/neuter and release), and more. So when you're done with the one she suggested - take a look at this one:

Feral and Stray Cats—An Important Difference

It takes some observation and interaction to really be able to tell....and even with that, sometimes cats that once had a home have, for whatever reason, been out on their own so long that they basically revert to feral behavior. But either way - - just noticing him, and seeing if he might need food/water/etc. is a wonderful start.

Keep us posted on what you think - - we've got lots of people who can offer you guidance on what to do next!
Thanks, I appreciate the help :)

CookieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 indoor only cats hide from any noise like opening a trash can,doing the dishes, stepping on something, shutting a door,etc Take a pic and post it on fb and nextdoor. It is possible he belongs to someone or needs help
You’re right, I’ll do that, thanks for the advice : )

CookieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:welcomesign:I am so glad you noticed the kitty. He’s a beautiful cat! It’s really lucky that you had water he could get to. I hope you can find out if he is alone in the world. Since he didn’t immediately run away, he may be used to seeing humans or want to be with humans. If he needs help, I hope you can help him. I think it’s wonderful that you care and wrote in to ask about him! :clap2:
Welcome to the site and please update us. Great photos!
Thank you, and yes he/she is beautiful. I adore cats and my previous cat was a stray who was so lovable and friendly and we took her in, I’m just hoping if this cat needs help, I can give it and he/she accepts it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He (and it looks like a he with that large, round head) is awfully well fed for a stray unless he just got abandoned. You might put it out on facebook, or asking neighbors about him. If he is abandoned he'll get thinner and thinner. I have several older cats like that from a nursing home nearby. They are put out on the street (most likely from relatives) after their owners die. He'll get friendlier as he gets more desperate. A true feral is very seldom seen, especially in the daylight, are thin, and disappear immediately upon seeing a human.

CookieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He (and it looks like a he with that large, round head) is awfully well fed for a stray unless he just got abandoned. You might put it out on facebook, or asking neighbors about him. If he is abandoned he'll get thinner and thinner. I have several older cats like that from a nursing home nearby. They are put out on the street (most likely from relatives) after their owners die. He'll get friendlier as he gets more desperate. A true feral is very seldom seen, especially in the daylight, are thin, and disappear immediately upon seeing a human.
I was wondering if it was a male or female! Thanks for the info, I’ll keep trying get it to open up to me if it comes by again.

CookieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have some good news regarding the cat-he has an owner! One of my family members saw him going inside of his house (which happens to be across the street and a couple of houses away) in the early morning. He probably likes to go on adventures and wander around a lot!
Thank you all for giving me advice and what to do next if he really was lost etc :) I don’t know if this is how everyone can see this comment but I’m just going to hope you all do. I should probably delete this thread now right?

CookieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have some good news regarding the cat-he has an owner! One of my family members saw him going inside of his house (which happens to be across the street and a couple of houses away) in the early morning. He probably likes to go on adventures and wander around a lot!
Thank you all for giving me advice and what to do next if he really was lost etc :) I don’t know if this is how everyone can see this comment but I’m just going to hope you all do. I should probably delete this thread now right?
Having an owner doesn’t seem to stop him from coming back though ...

But he ran away when he saw me : (

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If you leave food out, cats will eat, whether stray, feral or ones who have a human. Noobs 2 has a home yet he makes a beeline to Shaman and Treasure's food bowl the minute he's let outside the house. I was curious as he seemed so friendly for a feral (unlike a year of constant working with like my two) and when I made the hand motion to come up he did. One day I did see him go into someone's home.

CookieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you leave food out, cats will eat, whether stray, feral or ones who have a human. Noobs 2 has a home yet he makes a beeline to Shaman and Treasure's food bowl the minute he's let outside the house. I was curious as he seemed so friendly for a feral (unlike a year of constant working with like my two) and when I made the hand motion to come up he did. One day I did see him go into someone's home.
Aww, do you think the owner will mind if the cat drinks water at my house sometimes?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's good to know he has a home. He also knows he has a friendly neighbour he can count on. :redheartpump: