Does the news ever just get to you?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it just me, or is 90% of the news these days bad news?

I watch the news every morning...and every single morning..there is a fatal car crash, an abducted child, so many murders (esecially where the war is)..and some sort of animal abuse..not to mention fires in peoples home...etc...

I sometimes find myself feeling drained...like what is this world coming to?

Blah, I need to not watch the news I guess

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is why they call it the news.
if they only reported good things, i would bet no one would watch it.

but to answer your question, yea, sometimes i get sick of hearing it also.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get sick of hearing news when its not news.

Every morning I watch cnn for an hour, sometimes more. Out of 1 hour, they'll spend almost 50 minutes on something that really doesn't matter - like Anna Nicole Smith or Paris Hilton. There are so many more important things going on (immigration bills, war, etc) that they could be discussing... instead they just glaze over them for less important things.

That bothers me.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do like to listen to the news - not for all the gore you understand
I find that if I'm away the first thing I like to watch is a news round-up.

I tend to channel hop between BBC News, BBC World News, BBC Radio 4 News, Sky News and Fox News, funny thing is I also like to get regionalised news, so I always watch news about Yorkshire where I used to live in the UK
which luckily for us we can get through the Sky network.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't watch the news, I just check the headlines on cnn.com and read the articles I want.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally catch the local news on the radio in the morning before I get up.

This is mainly only the weather, local events, and interesting stories from the surrounding area.

As for the National I don't often pay much attention to it.

Unfortunately it is sometimes hard to miss since they certainly like to splash the morbid and sensation all over prime-time.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

I get sick of hearing news when its not news.

Every morning I watch cnn for an hour, sometimes more. Out of 1 hour, they'll spend almost 50 minutes on something that really doesn't matter - like Anna Nicole Smith or Paris Hilton. There are so many more important things going on (immigration bills, war, etc) that they could be discussing... instead they just glaze over them for less important things.

That bothers me.
There are so many more important things that they could cover but instead they choose Anna Nicole Smith and stick with that for 2 months. But after the first couple days, nobody cares anymore.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't pay much attention to the news. I look at our local news website and maybe read a few articles but that is it. When DH was still in the military, and particularly when he was deployed, I would never look at the news. I refused to. One of my step-sister's friends was in the military and near where DH was during one of his deployments. He said that what he saw on the news and what he saw happening in front of his face were 2 different things entirely, so that just tells me where I should get my real news from!

I used to look at a news website a while back that only has good news. It would have articles about breakthroughs in medical research, events where say a community came together to help a family in need, etc. That's my kind of news!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a horrible way to start or end your day, it's never good news...I get very depressed, some things just stay with you for a long time after you hear it.
We don't normally have the news on and we make a point of watching Funniest videos at least once a day...you need laughs in this world

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are days where I have to disconnect and simply watch a movie. The fact that CNN has become entertainment can be part of the problem. If it gets to be too much go out and buy some Scooby Doo and pop that in in the mornings. It will put you in a far batter mood.

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not yes but H*ll yes!!
I do not watch the news or read the paper. I check out the Yahoo home page for the latest whatever, I listen to am radio at work, so i get news briefs- that way I'm not totally clueless.

I do not like hearing about another bombing here, another child abuse case there, etc.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. A lot of the time we watch Discovery Channel during dinner instead. DH loves to watch "How it's made." And it's much less depressing.

I get most of my news on the web anyway. I just catch the local in the morning for the weather. Now that I've discovered our digital music channels on our cable I may stop watching Today before work.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean but it is ongoing news good or bad. Hey it's better than hearing about these silly Hollywood girls getting into trouble and rehab esp. this nonsence with Paris Hilton, who cares about these girls anyway, I just turn the channel when they start talking about them, they all just make me sick.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, sometimes I just sit and cry watching the news. But I feel an obligation to watch, because if we don't understand what's going on in the world, we can't make the right decisions about who to vote for, what charities to support, what principles to live by.

We are so jaded in this country. We see appalling horrors being perpetrated all around us, but we very rarely stand up and say, "Enough!" With all that's going on, we ought to be marching on Washington by the millions... but our lives are so complex and demanding that we just can't. We have all we can do to handle our own day-to-day existence. So we don't make protest signs and we don't organize bus caravans and we don't hold anyone accountable, and the horrors continue.

I'm just as guilty as anyone... I should do more, too. But I can't, so I just watch and cry.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why I dont make a habit of watching news!! Normally I just check yahoo news or people pc news. I can decide what I want to read that way.

And yes, the news is never good!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
News is always bad. Muggings, murders, rapes, war, death! death! death!

I rarely watch the news. I have literally gone years without opening a news paper or watching the tv news or listening to it on the radio. I often find out things long after the fact.

When I was working I would hear snippets of what was going on when other nurses talked about things during coffee, but on my days off and now that I'm not working I find out things when I see others on discussion forums I frequent, talking about something that happened. If it weren't for that I would be completely oblivious.

Heck, I just found out a couple days ago on Larry King that George Harrison died back in 2001! I had no idea