Does Stress-relief Prescribed Food For Utis Make Cats More Sleepy?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Milo has had lots of problems with UTIs so my vet prescribed a urinary tract food that is used for stress relief. He's been on it for a couple months now, and he has completely calmed down and sleeps alot. All he ever seems to want to do is sleep lol which is a total behavior change compared to him before the food. He still eats/drinks normally and litter box behavior is good too.

I'm just wondering if anyone else gives their cats this type of food and has noticed a change in behavior like sleepiness? I googled it and couldn't find anything. Just worried that something else may be going on.

Thanks!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it could be a side effect of the medication. Humans sometimes feel tired after taking Benadryl, for example, so I’d imagine that some feline medications might have a similar sleep-inducing effect. I would recommend calling your vet, though. They’ll know the specifics of the medication that Milo is taking, so they’ll let you know if they think that there’s any changes that could be made to his prescription. There could be something else going on as well, which is why I think it’s a good idea to check in with your vet. I hope Milo is feeling better soon!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is your definition of sleeps a lot? Cats will sleep anywhere from 12-16 hours a day. I wonder if he's just sleeping "normal" now that he's not anxious or on edge anymore?
Our cat had crystal issues and was a high stress cat, we had him on the stress/urinary food, and I found that he did not sleep more "per se" but that he finally slept better. We also gave him calming treats that would help ease his anxiety and would allow him to be calm and therefor sleep better. They did not cause lethargy, as they were not a sedative, he would just get calm and comfy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is your definition of sleeps a lot? Cats will sleep anywhere from 12-16 hours a day. I wonder if he's just sleeping "normal" now that he's not anxious or on edge anymore?
Our cat had crystal issues and was a high stress cat, we had him on the stress/urinary food, and I found that he did not sleep more "per se" but that he finally slept better. We also gave him calming treats that would help ease his anxiety and would allow him to be calm and therefor sleep better. They did not cause lethargy, as they were not a sedative, he would just get calm and comfy.

Yes, I think he is just sleeping normal now. How you describe your cat, is how Milo is acting now. Just a lot more calm and gets comfy easier haha. He's not lethargic and still likes to play so I think the food is actually just helping with stress relief. Thanks!