Does she still have worms? (this is gross!)

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I wormed Villy 1 week 6 days ago. Since then I have found a couple of thin brown streaks on her windowsill, which I thought was just dirt or something, but his morning there was one which was wriggling! A worm! So does this mean that she still has worms and needs re-worming? The vet originally told me that she only needed half a tablet as she's quite small, but I've known smaller cats to have a whole tablet.

I will give the vets a call later and see what they say, but what do you guys think? As they are coming out does that mean they're gone, or as they are still coming out nearly 2 weeks later does she still have them?

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was moving, I would say she still has them
I would run her by the vet again, maybe they could try another medicine. I hope she gets well soon!!!!!!!!Keep us posted.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely check with the vet again and try to get the sample of the worm so he knows exactly what type of worm problem he's dealing with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Thank you all for your help, I called the vet yesterday. She said that this means that the worming meds are working, but there may well be more to come out, ew! I can worm her again in 2 weeks, because she has the worms coming out it's ok to worm her monthly, otherwise apparently people normally worm their cats 2 or 3 times per year.
I will pop in to the vets to pick up her next pill, so I'll probably ask for more info then. They also asked for a sample if possible,so that they could identify the type of worm.

lucius&cissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought deworming meds killed the worms before they came out. Is that true or not true?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the type of worm. Some can still be alive but dying when they come out.

I think it's a good idea to repeat the deworming in two or three weeks. Dewormer meds only kill adult worms, not larvae.