Does ringworm get worse before it gets better? Need help!

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am using oral terbinifine and twice weekly shampoos with KetoHex followed by a LimePlus Dip for our two kittens that have been diagnosed with ringworm (confirmed by my daughter and me getting ringworm and a culture).  I have been doing the shampoo/lime dip for two weeks and they have been on the oral terbinifine for one week.  Is this supposed to get worse before it gets better?  At first, there was only one or two tiny (hard to find) spots on the girl. Today, she is crusty all under her front legs (armpit area), on front legs, and on her chest (under her neck).  The boy had a few spots, but he is now really crusty all in the same areas (chest, under front legs, and on front legs). His left ear is also very flaky.  Their skin almost feels hard to the touch.  Is this normal?  I'm taking the for a follow up appointment tomorrow. It seems like they have gotten worse in the past two days.  Help!!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, now they have miliary dermatitis in addition to recovering from ringworm. They both got an antibiotic shot and we continue with the twice a week baths/dips and daily terbinifine. This stinks.  

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Are they getting any better now with the antibiotic on board?  Hopefully things are improving

Maybe there is something in this thread you will find helpful:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/210789/6-things-i-learned-from-our-ringworm-plague-book-length
Very slowly getting better.  Miliary dermatitis is called "scabby cat disease" (or something like that).  So, their skin is coming off in these scabby patches.  It's horrible. The vet told me to get a good flea comb and help comb out the scabs that have released from the skin and are caught in the fur.  So, I'm combing them a couple of times a day.  I can't tell what is ringworm and what is the miliary dermatitis.  They seem to have dandruff all over them, also.  I think the lime dip is irritating their skin, but I can't stop using them until I know the ringworm is gone.  

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the cure is worse than the disease now, are you sure the lesions aren't gone? That seems like a long time to be irritating the skin so much, what does the vet say? Lime dip solution can also be used as a 'spot' treatment too. Make sure their bedding is washed regularly and that you change the air filters in your furnace, it may have trapped some spores, clean your vacuum cleaner cup with the lime dip too. Both of those help with re-infestation.  My heart goes out to these two babies, you will be blessed for taking them in and caring for them, this is above and beyond 'normal' care, I pray one day you can just love and enjoy them!

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said that miliary dermatitis can be a side effect of ringworm. From what I have read online, that is true. They really recommend the full body dip because they are long haired cats. We are choosing to not shave them because that can actually cause more problems. Ringworm can take 4-6 weeks or more to heal. I wash the bedding daily and the are isolated in my bathroom. The floors are washed with Accel twice a week and vacuumed daily. They were never let out of the bed/bath area, so I haven't changed the air filter yet. But, said will change it today just in case. Formal our vacuum, I throw away the vacuum bag every other day even though it says it traps 99.99% of everything.