Does raw food cause blood in cat's stool?

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:wavey:I've been feeding my 4 years old female cat for the last 9 months and never had a problem: she's about 9 lb., very active and always hungry!! My cats really enjoy the raw food diet. Today, as I was scooping away her poop I saw a bit of bright red blood around the feces, not inside though. Here and there I check their feces just to make sure there is no blood....
I hope is just an occasional episode, I'll check again tomorrow; because of he raw diet the stools are very dry and I am wondering if that little amount of bright red blood I found on the stool could be caused by (maybe) a piece of bone or so?! She's never been constipated and she defecate every day.
Any suggestion would be appreciate, thank you.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, raw diet doesn't cause blood in the stool - BUT what might be happening is that your kitty might be constipated, and straining too much to poop.
What is she eating?
Have you noticed her straining to poop? Usually constipation happens with too much bone content.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She might have been constipated, I'll keep a closer eye next time. Also my 8 years old male cat is little constipated, he goes every other day, rarely eveday but no blood in the stool.
I feed my cats by using the raw food recepie I found on Cat Nutrition and usually I take out about 30% of the bone: for example, if I have 20 chicken tighs I take out 6.......is that correct? And that's the thing, I am always afraid to do that wrong, I don't know that if I take out more bone percentage of bone the cats will have enough calcium?! I do add all the water necessary and I add even extra water every time I feed them too so the food is kinda soupy with chunks of meat...they love it.
So, could it be because I am doing it wrong?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might have been constipated, I'll keep a closer eye next time. Also my 8 years old male cat is little constipated, he goes every other day, rarely eveday but no blood in the stool.
I feed my cats by using the raw food recepie I found on Cat Nutrition and usually I take out about 30% of the bone: for example, if I have 20 chicken tighs I take out 6.......is that correct? And that's the thing, I am always afraid to do that wrong, I don't know that if I take out more bone percentage of bone the cats will have enough calcium?! I do add all the water necessary and I add even extra water every time I feed them too so the food is kinda soupy with chunks of meat...they love it.
So, could it be because I am doing it wrong?
Pooping every other day for raw is not unusual.... That's quite normal, actually. But straining, crying, and bleeding (the mucous lining is quite fragile, and it ruptures easily - which is why you see the blood) - that is where constipation is an issue. Then you definitely want to bring down the bone percentage.
Here is the thing with bone/Ca - IMHO, it is not a firm rule.... what might be good for a cat, might be too much for another.... So, add a bit of meat to the food of the constipated kitty, so you can dilute that bone.... See when he gets better.... You can just shred some meat at the time of serving, or do it for both of them.....
:wavey:

Last edited: