Does Prozac really work?

Jessica_Merlin_Meep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After much consideration I’ve had to put my youngest kitty on Prozac for aggression issues that have come on slowly over the years. For those of you that have had to do this, does it seem to work? I feel like this is my last hope before I have to rehome him :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I haven't used it, but I'm answering because every cat is different and what works for one may not for another.

He's been seen by a vet (this med is veterinarian prescribed, correct?) so you know his behavior isn't because of pain? Do you have him contained to a room with all of his things, and cat music? MusicForCats, RelaxMyCat and Cat In My Arms are good sources and while of course not a cure, can help ease his mind and stress a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessica_Merlin_Meep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I haven't used it, but I'm answering because every cat is different and what works for one may not for another.

He's been seen by a vet (this med is veterinarian prescribed, correct?) so you know his behavior isn't because of pain? Do you have him contained to a room with all of his things, and cat music? MusicForCats, RelaxMyCat and Cat In My Arms are good sources and while of course not a cure, can help ease his mind and stress a bit.
Hey thanks for your reply. Yes he has been seen by a vet. No issues and they did a full work up. When he is put up (we have another cat who he is not getting along with right now) he has music and toys and food and water. Try to play with him at least 10-15 minutes a day. He’s just gotten worse and lashes out at our dog for no reason and can’t get along with our other cat, at least for the time being. I really really hope the Prozac works :(

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is a terrible bully. He was taken from the streets and I suspect he had a very tough life. I have another cat whose eye was constantly infected from being around the bully. The bully cat never stopped - I mean it was constant. I tried Prozac. It worked for six months. We then went with a tranquilizer. That worked for a month.

Prozac works for some cats. I hope it helps long term for yours.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessica_Merlin_Meep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is a terrible bully. He was taken from the streets and I suspect he had a very tough life. I have another cat whose eye was constantly infected from being around the bully. The bully cat never stopped. - I mean it was constant. I tried Prozac. It worked for six months. We then went with a tranquilizer. That worked for a month.

Prozac works for some cats. I hope it helps long term for yours.
Oh man. I’m sorry that you had such a hard time with your fur baby. Medicating was my last option, I really didn’t want to but I will try it if I can keep him with me.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man. I’m sorry that you had such a hard time with your fur baby. Medicating was my last option, I really didn’t want to but I will try it if I can keep him with me.
I understand your hesitation to medicate your cat. I felt the same way. Partly because I don't like them for myself. But something needed to give and it did help for a while.

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After much consideration I’ve had to put my youngest kitty on Prozac for aggression issues that have come on slowly over the years. For those of you that have had to do this, does it seem to work? I feel like this is my last hope before I have to rehome him :(
Hi!!! Please give it a try. I have debated for YEARS on putting my 4 year old on it. She’s had issues with anxiety and redirected aggression towards myself, husband and will attack visitors. I agonized over the decision because I want to have babies soon, and I need her to feel okay with them.
I tried it a few years ago, but didn’t have the guts to follow through with the adjustment process. I started it again this past october, and I am SO GLAD I did.
it took me a long time to work though the fact that she just needed a little extra help. She doesn’t deserve to feel like her little world is on fire all of the time to the point of lashing out.
we are still adjusting, but I can tell you I have seen such great improvement that it gives me hope for the future of my family.
Please let me know if you have questions!!

IkeaMonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!!! Please give it a try. I have debated for YEARS on putting my 4 year old on it. She’s had issues with anxiety and redirected aggression towards myself, husband and will attack visitors. I agonized over the decision because I want to have babies soon, and I need her to feel okay with them.
I tried it a few years ago, but didn’t have the guts to follow through with the adjustment process. I started it again this past october, and I am SO GLAD I did.
it took me a long time to work though the fact that she just needed a little extra help. She doesn’t deserve to feel like her little world is on fire all of the time to the point of lashing out.
we are still adjusting, but I can tell you I have seen such great improvement that it gives me hope for the future of my family.
Please let me know if you have questions!!
Hi!! I just left my vet with a 30day supply for my guy who the vet said has “feral instincts” that result in aggression to me. It was honestly a bit validating to hear after being reassured that it’s just play aggression! I’m wondering what to expect! Is your cat still on it?