Does Pepsi want another sibling?

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this is not very structured, and also a long post. I have many thoughts flying around in my head:
I really thought and still think that I know the answer myself, and that that is no. I think he is enjoying be alone.

The whole situation:
Last august we lost Pepsi’s brother Max. Since then Pepsi have started to scratch and meow at my door at night. Lately several times at night. And he seems lonely. If I go out to him, and just hug/cuddle him for 1-2 minutes. He is fine, and happy, and walks away from me.

But besides that at night, I really don’t think he wants another sibling. My gut feeling is telling me that he is loving getting all the attention. But the nighttime meowing is making me question myself.

I have to ad; no cat in the bedroom. I don’t want to get into why, but its just not a possibillity to have him in bed at night.

Pepsi and Max got along. More so while kittens, but still as adults they would get along. Sometimes almost fighting over who gets to wash who.
But one behaviour that makes me a bit extra hesitant to get a new cat; Pepsi would hump on Max. Max would never complain and do anything about it, but it would happen every now and then. They were both neutered at 5,5 months old. At 5 months is when Pepsi started humping, and what made me call the vet (5mo tha is the youngest the vet I had then did it at). Neutering changed how often it happened, but it would still happen now and then. I would not want to bring a new cat in, and have this happen, and fighting happen because of it.

Also Pepsi have not been the happiest when meeting stranger cats. This is why I would go with a kitten and not a grown up cat. But this also makes me even more anxious about the whole humping thing.

So I just am not sure. I thought I was sure, and sort of still do, but I also doubt myself a bit.

To be honest I am not sure if I myself is ready

Just needed to air out the situation, and get some input from people who might have more experience than me.

Pepsi is 7,5 years old. He is very healthy, he has been checked out by the vet. I have been told that humping even after being neutered can happen. Seems since he learned that humping was a thing, he just continued with it.

I have also wondered if maybe that is a reason why he moews at night. Lack of a humping partner 😅😬

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be lonely, at 7.5 years old he may benefit from a new distraction in the house. Kittens are a handful so there will be many distractions! Humping isn't always sexual in nature. With cats it can be a form of domination, showing the other who's boss. He may do that with the kitten too, you would just have to intervene while the kitten is young and can get hurt. Otherwise, if the new cat is getting hurt later, it will fight back. Get a kickeroo and see if that gets some energy expended. It may very well be that Pepsi is lonely, I'm sure he misses his companion. Especially if he seems better after attention. All the luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately, there's no easy way to know if a cat wants a feline sibling or not. But, of course, you probably shouldn't even consider it until you're ready, as generally it takes time and patience to introduce a new cat (even a kitten) to a resident cat, so you have to be prepared to go through that.

Since Pepsi seems to only get lonely at night, wonder if he'd like a Snuggle Kitty?

1658233487208.png

Snuggle Kitty

If you do decide to look into getting a 2nd cat, here's a TCS article that might be helpful:
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty – TheCatSite Articles