Does Non-recognition Wear Off?

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
So, my 5-month-old Ruby got home today from her spay operation...she was at the vet overnight. Our 4-year-old LK is not being aggressive toward her, but I’m afraid she doesn’t recognize her. They have mostly been apart, but when together LK will just peer suspiciously at Ruby from behind some furniture, and not do her usual routine of chirping, snuggling, and grooming. LK will even dart at her to see what happens...Ruby seems confused—I believe she recognizes LK, but maybe not the other way around. I was at work when my husband and daughter brought Ruby home, and I didn’t get a chance to rub her with a cat blanket until late in the afternoon.
The thing is, the two cats had been best friends, always bumping noses and purring and cuddling—usually LK would groom Ruby’s face. There was definitely play fighting, but no snarling or hissing. I’m just so afraid they will never get back to that place. It’s one of the only reasons (other than my daughter’s love for the kitten) that I can even stand having Ruby around...reason being, I am stressed because my husband is allergic to her, and even with all of the wand-toy time we give her she is still super energetic while at the same time being quite big and grown-up in size. She’s currently an indoor cat but that might have to be a temporary state.
Is there any hope that LK will suddenly remember her dear friend and they’ll be in love again? Cuddling, hugging, grooming? I am worried. I’m going to keep them separated tonight, I hope that doesn’t make things worse. I have read all the relevant Cat Site articles (Cat Intros, Cat Re-Intros, Non-Recognition Agression etc). What I’m hoping for is some sense of how permanent this state is, and how likely the friendship is to start back up soon...of course, I am so hoping it won’t always be like two strangers who had to meet all over again.:(:frown::sniffle::sigh::confused2::(

Dawn23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LK probably thinks Ruby doesn't smell right. She smells like the vet's office and antiseptics and maybe other animals. When I take one of mine to the vet, the other two always hiss and keep away for a while when we come home. Definitely keep them apart tonight. By tomorrow the smells should start going away and things should get back to normal.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sonny was hospitalized for 3 days. When he came home my Casey was hissing at him. There was no aggression other than the hissing. I wiped Sonny down with some dirty laundry which usually fixes issues like this. It took Casey about 3-4 days to stop hissing at Sonny. Not only was he hissing at Sonny but he also started hissing at Apollo. He would also hiss at us after we were were petting Sonny. Sonny and Apollo just ignored Casey's hissing and things went back to normal. Their relationship is completely back to normal. My vet advised me to let them work it out as long as Casey was not actually trying to attack Sonny or Apollo. Casey got over it. I think Sonny smelled strange and Casey thought Sonny was an intruder. As for him hissing at Apollo that was re-direction because Apollo was hanging out with Sonny quite a bit. It is very possible that this issue will resolve itself. My vet told me that this happens quite often. It scared me because it lasted longer than I expected. Casey is back to playing with both Apollo and Sonny. All I can say is just be patient and give them time to sort it out if there is no attacking going on. I think it is a good idea to keep them separate for tonight and just give Ruby some time to herself after having surgery. Hopefully you will not have to do any re-introduction at all. I think the smells from the vet just need time to wear off Ruby a little bit. Ruby also may not be feeling completely normal yet. She may still be tired from the anesthesia used during the surgery. My Starbuck slept quite a bit the day she came home and the day after her spay surgery.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the smells will be leaving in a few days and everything will get back to normal. I'm sure Ruby is sore and grouchy from the surgery too, she'll soon be fine and things will get back to where they were..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
D4CB3B85-C6A4-4EFB-BC71-753C95EC41C2.jpeg
Thanks for all of your help! Sorry I panicked. I think we’re good.