Does My Old Cat Hurt The New Kitten When They Play?

Kozouki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys im new in this website and I have a problem....my old cat stopped hissing at the new kitten in just 4 days,they now started playing/wrestling but it worries my a lot if the old cat is hurting the new one. Everytime they play,the little cat seems to have his ears go to the back and hide,and try to wrestle with the old one again. The little one also cries when he gets pin down while being biten by the old cat,is this normal? The little one just recently hissed at him when they are in the middle of playing about 3hrs ago prior to this post. I need some help or advice to what can I do about this problem.

ps: sorry if I have bad english

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After the adult cat 'wins' does the kitten come back for more or run away & hide? If the kitten is hiding, getting fur pulled out or bleeding then yes the Adult cat is being to rough.

Kittens need to be taught manners. Usually the adult cat bites their scruff or bops them on the head with their paw (with their claws tucked in.) Also kittens like little kids scream when they loose to their older brother. Plus kittens/adult cats will hiss & growl during play fights. The best way to tell if it was real is if there was damage done.

I know it can be HARD to watch but please let it play out. I rescued my kitten from adult cat scruffing him. I didn't let my adult resident cat teach the wee punk manners. That kitten turned into a bullying terror. :devilcat2:A _decade_ of of that wee punk bugging the snot of his older brother & ignoring his older brother's 'leave me alone!' signs. Learn from my mistake! :)

P.S. Your English was fine. You should see me when I try to post from my phone ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kozouki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the little one comes back for more and I see no sign of injury or bleeding. Thank you for the advice,im gonna let them play now but I will only stop them when someone starts bleeding/getting injured.

I guess we just get paranoid about the safety of our cats bcs we love them,im sorry to hear that your cat turned out to be like that but I hope he changes over time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on the adoption of your new kitten. :catlove:

How old is your kitten? If it's really young, and tiny, I'd certainly be watchful of how your older cat behaves with the kitten.

Here's a TCS article on How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight which mentions "mock battles" and what body language to watch for to determine when it's just playing, or a real fight.

If you can, please post pics of your cats, as we love kitty pictures. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

ps your English is fine ;)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two adult males wrestle and play fight a lot :) The one largest male talks a lot when they play, if you didnt know better you would think the other cat was really hurting him. He is not, they both love to play fight, then cuddle up and nap :)

As long as there is no fur, or blood flying its usually ok. And as long as they both instigate play time, and both come back for more then its normally ok. My smaller girls do not want to play fight or wrestle with the larger boys often, and its easy to tell when one cat is not wanting to play. They are very good at telling the boys to go away and leave me alone. The boys do take the hint and leave the girls alone when told :) The girls rule :) I find its best to let them work it themselves.

If one seems to always want to get away, never instigates the play, hides, not eating or using the litter box, just generally seems scared then i would worry.

Enjoy your cats, and post photos when you have time. there is a new member forum, as well as one for photos and videos :)