"Does my lone adult cat need a cat/kitten companion?is she LONESOME?"

doreet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, (is this too big?)
 I have a nice Burmese,female,  3  year old rescue cat, and I am 66 years old.she had a 90 yr old lady,couldn't care for her,I got her.in many ways,she's sad,but one thing was, she wanted me to physically play with her all the time.I can't do that  body wise,and sometimes she gets too exuberant, and wants to SPRING on me.(??)And she looks out the window,all the time,, its dark and bad weather,she's always been a indoor cat.(can't help it, ts Oregon in winter.)I have tried many toys, not success; yarn or a big paper bag work best.

I hear that one cat gets lonesome, and often we aren't enough.she got SO CRAZY and hooked on commercial cat treats, so i took em away.(I just gave her tuna.)I just gave her the treats back IN MODERATION.They all go crazy over these treats, i don't know if they are addictive,??maybe in moderation.sigh.but a lot of them and she wants  em all the time.

But playing like a kitten,or other cat,is not something i can do all the time.not like a teenager!!I try to run up and down, play with her, can't do it all the time.she also never learned how to  play,is scared of it anyway  hard to play with toys herself.she is shy,very shy with everyone.she has "cranky" behavior,,if i try to pet her,or touch her when she doesn't want it, she claws me or bites me.she rarely purrs, and if she does,she BITES ME.()??)(she once bit me on the butt!!???)  SHE is JEALOUS of me being on the puter, and if i'm drawing a lot,she tries to swipe the pen outta my hand.she's NEEDY (meow meow) she comes affer me, maybe for company, and yowls like she's missing someone.

I knew a similar breed to siamese would be high strung and smart---maybe bitchy.but i don't seem to be ENOUGH for her.she sleeps at my feet, right up against me,so i know she wants to be close.I think being a kitty,kitten,in a tiny room with an old lady, before maybe she never got to frolic like kittens do.she almost never purrs;if she does, she bites me(??)I guess her affection sense  got screwed up some place.(I still have not found her a good SCRATCHING THINGIE.??)SHE HAS UNCUT LONG CLAWS, won't let me cut em; she hates being held, or picked up, yowls and runs off.try "never got affection, or play as a kitten, is also lonesome, shy, and not affectionate, but very needy  wants attention, meow meow!!"."  I think it was stunting being the old ladys kitty, and she's a very SCARED KiTTY.very shy, if my voice gets loud,she runs for cover.I never hurt her!!

ok, that's it; shes beautiful and smart. is she  spoiled?lonely? needs a kitten to adopt?my  friend had an old cat, and she got a new kitten too; the old cat LoVED THE KiTTEN,loved her, took care of her was so happy, no longer lonesome.I am wondering"does my cat need a companion, like a kitten? should I try that? see how it works out?"I do think cats get lonesome, cuz we humans are just not cats.we can't be.impossible, even if we love them.and this cat has never  had animal companionship.   She had a very limited life, growing up, now she's still young and has to  be inside. (still)but if she's really lonely, i can get a kitten if it would make her happy.  one's enough work, so two would be the same. ha.  And these emotional problems(being scared of a loud voice,strangers,not purring, ect.) might get helped.  maybe.at least she would not be lonely.

thanks for reading this, let me know what you think.i never had a troubled cat until I got an ADULT someone else raised.I always had kittens, no  problems.even male kittens were affectionate purred, played ok.if there's a next time, no more adult cats. but I love Bella, and i just want her to be happy. is kitty companionship possibely helpful??thanks, all best in cold,rainy (but 10 yr.. drought, too) Eugene Oregon 
"I love bella!"

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Doreet.

A few things I want to say here, it sounds like she has never had any cat companionship before.

You could adopt a teenaged male, no younger than that, and it may be the best thing in the world for her.

It could also go another way, since she has not had another resident cat in the past, and despise him being there.

It's so hard to predict.

That is why I want to suggest contacting a rescue group near you and ask them if you can foster a male teenaged cat, and possibly will adopt him. This will make it so much easier to find out if this is the solution for her or not. That way if after at least a few weeks, if she doesn't start backing off and show signs of interest in being his pal, he can go back easily, no harm done.

I think it may very well be what she needs. I can't understand why a 90 yr old person would have a young cat like that, she will obviously be homeless at some point since she has many more years of life over her owner.

I have seen countless cats end up at the shelter and euthanized for this very reason, and it is just plain unfair...

Just so you know, I said teenager because she is going to put him through a bit of bullying for a bit.

Females will dominate the home, as the top cat. Males instinctively know this and submit to it as natural, another female will likely not be so gracious, which will cause a war in your home, making things even worse.

She will need to show him where he stands in the home, BEFORE she will start to accept him as a companion and play, etc.

Oh, as for the long nails? If she has scratching posts or a cat tree for instance that she climbs, it will round her sharp nails a bit. Not alot, but it will help.

You can also have a groomer trim them, they know how to handle cats who hate their nails cut.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

doreet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank  you!! you so much!  that's a great idea!! a young male? ok, good idea.I was thinking maybe a kitten, as a maternal mommy.but the young male sounds good.thanks!!

:)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are very welcome!

A teenaged male is best for a few reasons, for one, he is big enough to take the abuse so-to-speak in case...

Also, he will submit much easier, and adapt to the environment well being a young guy. An older cat will more likely be set in his ways, maybe intolerant, etc if she doesn't take to him right away.

A small kitten is not strong enough psychologically and physically take it from her, especially when put in a new situation. A kitten really won't understand.

Best of luck!