Does my kitten "want to get busy" with the lady cats, or is he just bored?

janneb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The last few days our kitten has been getting a LOT more vocal, especially when I come home from work. He sprints around our apartment and meows. So far it hasn't been a constant thing but since we've had him he's been a moderately quiet fellow (except for when he wants us to wake up in the morning).

We're not sure about his birth date, but our estimate is that he is 5 months this week (22 weeks). We know that it's give or take a couple weeks.

I can't tell if he is being more aggressive b/c he has always been a wild child and in my opinion he's settling down a tiny, tiny bit.

My schedule changed 3 weeks ago and now I'm out of the house for quite a few more hours a week, and at least 4 days I leave for significant chunks of time. This is supposedly a temporary schedule and I'm hoping to be working from home full time soon.

Boba is an indoor cat, but he always follows us out onto our balcony/deck. Last weekend he jumped from it to the ground (2nd story deck).

My question is, could these be signs that he is maturing early? I don't want to have him spraying around our apartment, obviously. Right now he is scheduled for an appointment the beginning of May (5 1/2 months old on that date).

Or, do you think he is just bored since he has so much alone time now (I try to play with him as much as possible while I'm home and my husband helps with this, too)? He's always been high-energy since we've known him.

The vet said if he started showing signs of aggression/spraying that I could reschedule for an earlier date, but I don't want it to get to that point.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
5 months is not early at all.  I believe that once any cat reaches 2 pounds, they are good to go for spay/neuter.

It would be wise to get him fixed asap before he begins showing more signs of maturing.  You do not want him to spray, ever. The stench is sickening from what I hear (thankfully I've never experienced this) and living with him will only become more difficult as his hormones will drive him to find a mate.  He'll also become much calmer and overall will be healthier for the long term.

He could be bored too, another cat friend would be great but honestly, it sounds like he needs to be neutered sooner than later.

Good luck!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The last few days our kitten has been getting a LOT more vocal, especially when I come home from work. He sprints around our apartment and meows. So far it hasn't been a constant thing but since we've had him he's been a moderately quiet fellow (except for when he wants us to wake up in the morning).

We're not sure about his birth date, but our estimate is that he is 5 months this week (22 weeks). We know that it's give or take a couple weeks.

I can't tell if he is being more aggressive b/c he has always been a wild child and in my opinion he's settling down a tiny, tiny bit.

My schedule changed 3 weeks ago and now I'm out of the house for quite a few more hours a week, and at least 4 days I leave for significant chunks of time. This is supposedly a temporary schedule and I'm hoping to be working from home full time soon.

Boba is an indoor cat, but he always follows us out onto our balcony/deck. Last weekend he jumped from it to the ground (2nd story deck).

My question is, could these be signs that he is maturing early? I don't want to have him spraying around our apartment, obviously. Right now he is scheduled for an appointment the beginning of May (5 1/2 months old on that date).

Or, do you think he is just bored since he has so much alone time now (I try to play with him as much as possible while I'm home and my husband helps with this, too)? He's always been high-energy since we've known him.

The vet said if he started showing signs of aggression/spraying that I could reschedule for an earlier date, but I don't want it to get to that point.
It's entirely possible that he could be starting puberty a little early and if there is a female in heat nearby, he might be able to tell and want to go "say hello". 

I'd go get him neutered sooner rather than later.  If he has hit puberty early, he'd going to drive you nuts trying to find a girlfriend and he will start spraying. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It's entirely possible that he could be starting puberty a little early and if there is a female in heat nearby, he might be able to tell and want to go "say hello". 

I'd go get him neutered sooner rather than later.  If he has hit puberty early, he'd going to drive you nuts trying to find a girlfriend and he will start spraying. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janneb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! If there is no harm in doing it early I will go ahead and try to get it moved up. He was meowing a lot this morning, too.

janneb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I guess there are no available appointments between here and his original date so I guess we hope for the best!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
+1 for neuter!

Six months has always been the traditional age to neuter a cat but there is little scientific evidence to support that belief.

Neutering can be done as early as eight weeks of age and it is common for cats to be neutered at twelve weeks.
As long as it's safe, it is probably better to get a cat neutered as soon as practical.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And another for neutering asap.  Me, I think your boy is getting a bit randy.  I'm betting his little hormones are beginning to fizz.

janneb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, Boba's surgery is part of his vet plan and is already paid for, so I can't go somewhere else. Here's to a nervous 3 weeks!

janneb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, Boba's surgery is part of his vet plan and is already paid for, so I can't go somewhere else. Here's to a nervous 3 weeks!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'll be fine! Just be sure to keep him inside. You may also want to tell your vet that you'll come in if there is a cancellation.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He'll be fine! Just be sure to keep him inside. You may also want to tell your vet that you'll come in if there is a cancellation.
Yes. definitely keep him inside and watch him like a hawk. When they are set on getting outside, they can be very stealthy. Especially if there is a female in heat nearby and he knows this. 

Asking the vet to let you know if there is a cancellation is a great idea. The sooner he gets fixed the better. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~laughs softly~  Well, having dealt with both tom kittens and teen-aged sons in my time, my advice is, hang on, the ride may be a bit bumpy. but you can do three weeks if you have to.  Most assuredly, alert the vet that you are available for any cancellations, and why.

janneb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'm holding my breath! I've noticed that he mostly meows when we open a window. No way to know if it's bc he can smell a girl or bc he just likes the outdoors and all the spring smells.
I will say, I am so so hoping he will stop biting soon after his surgery. People keep giving me advice as if it is a revolutionary idea but we have literally tried everything and aren't doing anything (as far as we know) to provoke or encourage it. I have been doing ok by just walking away when he starts acting like he is going to bite. My husband however can't resist picking him up no matter what mood the cat is in (but he told me this morning he was going to start being better about it).
It's him coming to snuggle (he LOVES being around us and often sleeps on me), I just sit there, and suddenly he flips around and bites me... Even my throat and face. Or he'll jump onto our laps while we sit at the dinner table and immediately bite our arms or hands. He's started on my husband's Achilles. Is he just trying to aggravate us into play like he might another kitten?
I've resolved myself to just waiting it out, playing with him as much as I can and he is willing, and making sure he gets plenty of love.
I'm praying age and the neuter will take it out of him. I guess I'm not asking for advice but hope from somebody who has had a cat like this who has seen them grow out of it.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
You'd mentioned that Boba has almost been a bit of a wild child. What is his background? Was he raised around other cats/kittens?

janneb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We found Boba for free on craigslist. It was so sketchy, they didn't even know the date he was born, just mid-Nov. They told us nothing. We think he was around 8 weeks which now I know is too young for proper socialization. I'm glad that he has a home with us where ppl love him and want to take care of him, it could have been much worse. I wish we could have a playmate for him, i know that is sometimes the only solution to biting. Maybe when we are no longer in an apartment.
When we got him, he had fleas, TERRIBLE ear mites, worms... After we got that all taken care of he became feisty.
We are feeling more certain each day that he is a Siamese ragdoll mix. We play with him, he loves sprinting after balls we throw down the hallway... But he never seems to have his energy spent. He has a will, let me tell you that :)

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
He's definitely lucky you found him!

I've read a little on another thread you posted on about having play sessions with Boba, which is great! If you don't already have Da Bird or Neko Flies, I highly suggest both! Also, an automatic laser would be worth getting as well. Check out this link for several suggestions:
https://www.chewy.com/s?query=automatic+laser&nav-submit-button=Go

You may also want to consider leash training him. This can sometimes help with outgoing kittens with boundless energy! The Kitty Holster is often recommended over some of the traditional cat harnesses, as I think it is more secure (I haven't used this yet myself.). http://www.kittyholster.com

Also, if you haven't already, getting him on a routine of set play and feeding times (and perhaps walk times) can really help as well. Give him a good long play session, followed by a tasty meal (or snack) of canned or raw (whichever you prefer). Try to do this 2-3 times a day and perhaps throw in a late afternoon or evening walk outside.

janneb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boba does have a harness, but I am considering getting him a more sturdy one, maybe a cloth/mesh one. The kitty holster looks pretty great.
We have taken him to the park once and I think he liked it, but mostly he wanted to smell the pavement under the trashcans. Weirdo lol.
I need to get him more flea stuff. It's been over 30 days but since he is indoors I was just going to get it when he has his surgery. Maybe after that we will start taking him out more often. We love being outside and we love Boba. I just don't want anything to happen so I'll play it safe until he is neutered. We live in a highly populated area so I know there are cats everywhere waiting to tempt him ;)
I'm considering getting him the Bergen turbo cat scratcher. He has so many toys already but it feels like a waste when he'd rather play with milk ring tabs and scratches on the wall. We haven't found his "type" yet as far as toys go.
I think the schedule is a great idea. I should be working from the home full time pretty soon, then it'll be easier to orchestrate. For now I am part time outside the home with an inconsistent schedule so I'm just doing what i can.