Does my kitten have FIP???? So scared!

dle22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my kitty is our first cat together and we are both absolutely besotted with him. Unfortunately hubby and I are going through infertility so he's so special to us to help us get through it.

Over Two weeks ago he was sleeping all day, shivering and off his food, so we took him to the vets. The vet said that he had a very high temp so she gave him shot of antibiotics and an anti inflammatory. The next day he was still unwell, although his temp had come down slightly, so she gave us antibiotics (white liquid to put in his food) and Metacam x4 drops once a day. Within two days he was back to normal and bouncing around. That weekend we noticed that one of his pupils looked a bit strange and smaller than the other one. We were monitoring it and by the following week his eye had become very cloudy with red in it. We took him to the vets on sat and she said he has a slight temp. Apart from that he seemed fine. He was meant to have his first jab but she didn't want to give it to him because of his eye and temp. She said to us there is a possibility that he has one of the cat viruses. That night he was due to be flead so I gave him his spot on flea treatment (advantage). I don't know if he had a reaction or was stressed but he seemed quite ill that evening. The next day he was absolutely fine and has been ever since. He's eating like a horse, playing and apart from his eye is right as rain. He's been on new antibiotics and eye drops since sat and his eye is still bad. I think it is improving, but slowly. The vet said that we won't be able to test for viruses until 6 months as he could be positive now (he's 4 months) but fight it off.
Any advice would be fantastic!
The medication he is currently on:
Metacam 0.5mg - 4 drops in food daily- this is left over from first trip to vets but I've kept giving it to him
Nisamox 50 mg - 1 tablet crushed in food 2x day
Maxitrol eye drops - 1 drop in eye every 6 hours

I am petrified that we are going to lose him. Hubby thinks I'm mad as he's the most energetic kitty at the moment... In fact he's the best he's been for couple of weeks. Xx

Thank you very much- we really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there and welcome.

First of all, while the fever is typical, and will come and go randomly, if there is clearly evidence that the antibiotics are affecting the fever, then it is not fip.

As for testing for fiv and felv, he very likely does not have fiv, as it is not acquired through mom, however felv is, and he CAN be tested with accuracy now.

His symptoms sound more like fip, and diagnosing is difficult.

So does he have a fever today? Even a mild fever? He is eating great and energetic? Does he play but seem to wear out a bit more or faster than prior?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first suggestion would be to take him off the metacam now since he is over his fever and metacam is not meant to be given to kittens long term, and fluids should be given with it to protect the kidneys.  It's a NSAID and you have to be very careful using those in cats.  They are great for bringing down fevers but it sounds like he is over his fever.

Here is a link to Dr. Kris's blog and includes a long piece about the use of metacam.

http://www.iwillhelpyourcat.com/blog/2015/2/28/the-fear-of-using-drugs-zack-vs-metacam

As for FIP, he is not acting like an FIP kitten usually acts, in my experience anyhow.  They are usually quiet, not playful, and like to be in warm places because they run a constant low grade fever after the initial high one, so they are often snuggled up together in a cat bed, or close to the electric radiator.  They are usually not big eaters and act more like middle aged adult cats than kittens.  There is a seriousness to them instead of kitten silliness.  Some have been very affectionate and clingy, and others have become very stand-offish, "don't touch me please" kind of kittens.  My very OLD cats were more playful than my FIP kittens were even early on in their disease. 

If I were you, I would stop worrying about FIP, since there's nothing you can do about it if he does have it, and he probably does not have it.  Just concentrate on getting the eye cleared up and keeping him happy.  I have found that is a good way to approach most cat illnesses -- treat what you can see and diagnose, and leave the rest for time to reveal.  Make each day great for him, and if he has years and years of great days, that is wonderful, but if he ends up having limited time, you can be glad it was high quality time.  I can say that was true for almost all of our FIP kittens, and the only one that wasn't that way was because we didn't know that's what we were dealing with so we spent a lot of time trying to keep her alive when we should have let her go. 

Please continue to keep us posted because we do worry if we don't hear back.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Darcy had FIP. She went from playful and energetic to less energetic to sleeping a lot more.  Her temperature at the vet on Monday was 106 and it never went down much below that, despite antibiotics. She ate but only if we primed the pump so to speak with a little syringe feeding. Although she lived another month or so and did pretty good considering, she never got back her energy or playfulness. It was painful to watch her decline.

My vet told us that she had never seen an FIP cat rebound as much as even Darcy did, so if your cat is back to his usual self, it doesn't sound like FIP to me. I am NOT an expert, but learn far more about this horrible disease than I ever wanted to

Good luck to you, and I hope everything is good with your kitten!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also agree. I have seen fip that was early on, in a young kitten it seems their spunk can take over here and there at early decline, but as sort of a last ditch effort to resume normalcy, which doesn't happen.

That's why I asked about his energy level, there can always be that effort to play as young kittens have such a need for, but tire out fast too. 

By the time the fever starts up and the eating stops, the silent fip has done some real damage internally.

If you are not seeing anything like this, I wouldn't think it is fip. Fever of unknown origin happens, but I would surely be watching that temp twice a day and keeping record of it.

It's possible and may be even likely that his eye is actually related somehow to all of this too. Bloodwork is also an indicator that helps determine something going on and what it's affecting.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dle22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Thank you so much for all of your replies I really appreciate it! Currently sitting at the vets waiting to go in for check up so I'm not sure if he's still got a temp. His energy levels seem good... He's very alert, chasing anything that moves. He is a sleepy kitty but then that's nothing new. He sleeps with us and stays with us all night. He loves warm places I'd say but I think he's always been like that. His eye is noticeably better today but I have noticed that he hasn't eaten much of his food. He's become very fussy!! Every time I try a new wet food he loves it for a few days then goes off it. Hubby gave him a bit of ham earlier and he wolfed it down! I just pray he's ok xx

dle22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've just got back from vets... He still has slight fever. I think he has gained weight since last sat which is good. Vet thinks that it's definitely viral but thinks he's over the worst? He said they often are hot when at vets as stressed but he is still hotter than normal. I just don't know really... He's so much better in himself and just ate a plate of chicken! Vet kept him on Metacam and antibiotics for further 3 days xx

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not exactly sure why the metacam though............hmm. 

As a painkiller or an anti-inflammatory do you know?

Did he say how much his temp is now?

How long has he been on antibiotics?

Last edited:

dle22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As an anti-inflammatory I believe... His eye is really clearing up as well so I think he wants to knock that on the head.
He's been on antibiotics 5 days now and prior to that was 7 days with over a week in between. With first lot of antis he seemed a lot worse in himself but no eye problem. As soon as I got him out the basket he was boiling hot at vets but since being home (he's now asleep as I think he's exhausted from stress) he doesn't feel hot to touch. He gets incredibly stressed at vets - car journey is 20 mins and then in waiting room for hour and half. I think his temp was 39.9. Xx

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want you to understand that there are really only a few things that act like this. While the internet is loaded with oddball this and that, and genetics are always possible, when it comes down to the vast majority, there isn't a whole lot that causes a 4 month old kitten to have these symptoms and an unknown cause for fever.

So he may very well have the dry form of fip.

"Sometimes the eye is the only organ affected. The pupil may appear irregular and the eye may appear discolored because of the inflammation  that is present. Some cats with the dry form can live up to a year after first showing clinical signs."

Taken from http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2134&aid=212

Cats with FIP frequently have ocular lesions. The most common ocular lesions are retinal changes, and a retinal examination should be performed in all cats with suspected FIP. FIP can cause cuffing of the retinal vasculature, which appears as fuzzy grayish lines on either side of the blood vessels. Occasionally, granulomatous changes are seen on the retina. Retinal hemorrhage or detachment may also occur.

Taken from http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/gen...verview_of_feline_infectious_peritonitis.html

I think it's a possibility he may have dry fip. Because the dry form is slow to progress, sometimes several months, you can see days he might seem to feel fine, yet continues to carry at least a low grade fever.

I do know how upsetting and scary the thought of it is to you, I have been there myself.

I just want you to keep an open mind that it might be fip.

Let's hope not!! But the possibility is there in my opinion and experience.  

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was wondering the same. Update?? We care and would like to know if you don't mind :)  

Hoping for positive, but we are here to support you too!

dle22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, so sorry for not updating you! So Friday (day after vets) he was really down, not eating much and seemed really tired. Saturday he perked up again and has been playing, eating, although I've noticed that he's drinking more water? It seems to be a patten that day after vets he is poorly. His eye continues to clear up. I do think that FIP is still possible due to fever. I'm going to try taking his temp myself twice a day and then see what that says. I've been researching FIP and it seems people have had amazing results with Esther C: vitamin C powder and wytong probiotics and enzymes. Unfortunately I can't get hold of this as I'm in UK so I'm going to find something similar. Also put him on pure meat diet- boiled chicken with a little chicken broth on the top. Have also got appaws food as high meat content. I figure that if it is FIP I want to give him best chance and if it's not thn at least this will make him a very healthy kitty.
Xx

dle22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was 39.9 I believe... He felt so hot when I got him out of basket as he was very stressed.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So that's still pretty high. Close to 104 degrees.

Stress does cause their temp to rise a bit, but max normal even when very stressed is 102. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The last thing I want to do is cause you to resent my posts :)

I don't always see negatives, there are also plenty of times when I will give my opinion to members saying not to stop trying, try this, try that, and remember some really positive turnouts.

I've been working in rescue for so long, and over the years have gotten very good at calling things how I see them, and I while I would NEVER want to hurt someone, or jump to conclusions prematurely, I have this need to call it the way I see it. Hope is always a good thing, but false hope only delays the inevitable and prolong the pain.

That said, I think you are pretty clear minded and know that this may very well be fip.

My personal thoughts, this is looking like dry form of fip. I hope I am wrong of course, but do think it's a very real possibility, more than a 50/50 chance.

The symptoms can vary quite a bit, depending on where the fip is attacking internally, which is why the varied signs, but that fever consistency and lack of response to antibiotics are always there in fip kitties. His fever should have been long gone by now. 

Dry fip kitties can live for months, they will eat some days, they might be active at times, be their kitten selves, then inactive, sleeping excessively at other times. It can take time for things to go south and continue, towards the end when there is more damage done inside then he can work through, is when they reach a point of no return.

No matter how much we want to help, supplements to strengthen, etc. the devastating bottom line is, there is no surviving fip.

If you read that some may have had a cat turn around and recover, then they never did have fip. 

The tricky part being no test to confirm diagnosis.

I think fip is misdiagnosed because of this, vets might tend to give this diagnosis when they have no other idea of what's wrong. 

So without the fluid in tummy or chest, the dry form is MUCH harder to diagnose.

I have lost from fip, it is vicious and ugly, and relentless. It is very unfair, no test for diagnosis, no treatment or cure. 

I'm very sorry for what I have written here, it's just my thinking and feel a personal obligation to say this.

Oh and daily temp taking is plenty, I wouldn't add to his stress by poking him in the butt twice a day! :)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the things you mentioned such as probiotics and esther C can be obtained through Amazon, which ships internationally.  If he has dry FIP, he can go on for quite a long time and both of those could certainly help him as they both strengthen the immune system.  The most important thing is not to upset the quality of the life he has now, and I wouldn't take his temperature twice a day, or even once a day unless he feels particularly hot at the time.  You will learn to just feel his body and know if he has a fever or not.  You don't have to know if it's 104 or 105, you will just know he has a fever.  Drinking more water is a good thing, because between the fever and the metacam, he needs to flush his kidneys with plenty of water.  My dry FIP kitten lived about a year.  My wet FIP kittens have all gone much quicker, between one and three weeks after the first onset of the fever.  My last dry FIP kitten developed neurological signs.  Prior to that, the vet hoped she had something else, and since there's no clear diagnosis without the fluid, he treated her with antibiotics and fluids and a shot of cortisone to make her feel better and eat better.  I was sure she had FIP but he was not convinced until she developed the neurological signs, and then of course we put her to sleep.  The main concern of everyone is just that we want people to be willing to let go before the animal suffers.  We choose quality of life over quantity of life.  I thought yuor guy was perhaps safe if his fever had gone and he was still playing and eating, but now you said the fever has not gone, and his eating is getting picky so perhaps we're not out of the woods yet.  Do keep us posted on how he's doing.

Last edited:

puck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Limiting stress, grooming/brushing him to release his endorphins, and no application of topical parasiticides (such as his Advantage) while you are treating him can help his immune system gain strength and consistency. While treating a chronic idiopathic fever, supportive fluid therapy is worthwhile and can help decrease core body temperature. Fevers of unknown origin are common, until the right diagnostic finds the cause. If treatments aren't effective, chipping away at pathobiology tests/cultures is the first way we know what it is not, to help diagnose what it is. When there is no obvious cause, such as a URI, wound, infection, trauma, shock, seizure, etc that induces a fever, if fluid therapy and anti-inflammatories don't show obvious improvement starting within 24 hours, then the battery of diagnostics are started, as finances allow.

I'll repeat, he shouldn't get parasiticides, or vaccines, while not healthy. His body needs no other challenges while being treated for the fever.

Fevers of unknown origin are common and often resolve with aforementioned treatment. Rarely, one has to be worked up and followed until it leads to a definitive diagnosis, that is a highly infectious disease in need of a targeted specific treatment for prolonged period to affect the fever. As the anisacoria resolved, and his fever isn't causing nausea and inhibiting his appetite, as it so often does with cats, and his fever consistently decreases in response to therapy staying the course is best. If his temp is consistently above 102 degrees F throughout the last week of treatment, IV fluid therapy and IV antibiotics while hospitalized may be best while diagnostics are ran to find the cause and add to his treatments.

I have had patients so stressed in hospital, they are 103-104 degrees F, then normal after a couple hours back at home. 103.8 degrees F or 39.9 degrees Celsius is higher than a stress-induced temp usually, but he could be the hot exception. Being less active after a vet visit and wanting to hide or not eat could be stress induced, and not related to a body temp at all, if he possibly is only hot at the clinic.

Has any temp at home been normal the last 3 days?