Does My Kitten Have Fever Coat?

Hollyp06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_5938.PNG
IMG_5940.PNG
Hi everyone, I'm new here but upon reading a thread I realized my kitten looks very similar to some kittens with fever coat.
He was a stray barn kitten and has done amazing and besides being very protective over his food, he's the best.

Anyways, his mother was feral and I don't know what colour either parents were.

I assume Siamese was in the mix somewhere due to his points..
Does anyone know much about fever coat, if so.. is his health reduced due to it?

Thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fever coats are most easy to see (and most common) on black cats. However I got sure knowledge the other day, fever coat may occur at other colorations as well.
Nay, as far as I know, the fever coat disappears with thime, and has no further negative consequences.
IF there were bad consequences of mommas fever, they had already happened; spontan abortion, stillborn, etc....

So in practice, the fever coat is just an interesting happening in Nature, without any bad consequences.

OK, to your kitten. He seems to ba a point for real, its not the fever coat blackish point.

But as said above, also true points MAY have fevere coat.

We have two different possiblities: Either he is a point with fevercoat, and if so, he will clear up soon enough.

OR he is a combo point; one point gene of the siamese type, and one point gene of the burmese type. If so, he will get darker and darker already as kitten. He will never get pitch black, but will become quite brownish.

Another probierstone is of course, if you know how he looks as little kitten: light and fair, as small points usually are - darkening up with time,

OR he was even darker than now.... As is the common with fever coats.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It's harder to tell on kittens who aren't black, but I think it looks like he's a point, which means his body will stay white (color develops on the ears, face, legs, and tail only in pointed cats).

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...OR he is a combo point; one point gene of the siamese type, and one point gene of the burmese type.
I have to agree with Stefan here - he has the look of certain F Generation Blue Tonkinese kittens when breeders first began crossing Burmese with Various Siamese types. You'll find a pretty comprehensive Siamese/Burmese genetics explanation here:

Tonkinese Genetics: Color, Coat Pattern, Eye Color

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hollyp06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well thank you all for commenting.
Glad to know it's likely not fever coat but maybe more just his coat.

I've always wondered what mix he was as he has very defined tabby markings but his belly is covered in spots and a few strips.

Thanks again!
IMG_5163.JPG
IMG_5017.JPG

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the time he is 8-12 months old, you should have more of a handle on his coloring. He seems like a lynx point to me, but I am not as experienced as others here in this forum! He reminds me of my first cat I had years ago. Boy, is he a cutie! What is he, about 6 weeks old? I'm not sure when the pix were taken.
:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hollyp06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay good to know.

Yes he is a Lynx point for sure, he has very short ears so I wonder what his dad was.
Yes in those first photos he's roughly 5 weeks.
I assume he was closer to 4 weeks when I got him, he was still trying to nurse up watered down wet food.
He was very tiny!
The way I stumbled upon him was I had placed an ad a while prior looking for a kitten, nothing specific just a companion. A few weeks later a farmer on a near by island messaged me saying he had a kitten that needed a home that was found in his barn, we chatted on the phone a bit after he sent me Leo's photo and I mentioned I had a kitten around 10 weeks old currently and said is your kitten the same age?
He told me yes.... well it wasn't until two days later when I went to pick Leo up at the ferry that I realized he was barely 5 weeks old.. I took him straight to the vet from the ferry, got him proper food and the vet taught me everything I needed to know about caring for young kittens being weaned to early.

Leo has been the absolute best cat I could have asked for :)
Despite being a feral cat, he adapted quickly to living inside. Besides being extremely food aggressive, he is amazing
I lucked out !

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The parallels to my own experience with my lynx point are uncanny. :redheartpump:
She was a barn kitty as well, in Colorado, and 4- 1/2 weeks old when I got her.
A little smarty pants, too. I taught her to sit, come, and get down. My boyfriend at the time got her little sister, the runt of the litter, and a blue point.
Ahh, memories of my first kitty... :redheartpump: lol

Keep us posted on Leo's progress!