Does my kitten have EMau in her?

kramelop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Between a unique personality and striking markings, I am wondering if my adopted kitten has EMau in her? 5 months, roughly 5lb. Plays in the water, loves play biting, has a bad case of zoomies. Fur is black and light tan with dorsal stripes and spots/ broken stripes and vertical stripes on her sides. Belly is tan and black spotted. Eyes are amber, on the edge of green.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont think so. A very nice but quite regular black tabby, broken mackerel... Some will possibly call her for a silver tabby.

Spotted tabby? Not impossible, there ARE some spots on her behind and backside. But also very visible stripes, so I think most associations will register it as broken mackerel anyway.

Ps. Striped tabby dominates over spotted tabby, so theorethically, she MAY have also spotted tabby ancestry, possibly even an Egyptian Mau... But we cant decide this from her contemporary looks...

And unless you live somewhere where EM are common, the probability si very low...

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unless you live in Egypt or a neighbouring country and/or you have pedigree papers, I would say it was unlikely. Your cat looks like a gorgeous brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthair. Her tummy spots are a normal tabby feature, and the pretty spots on her back and sides are created by 'dotted line' stripes, making her a 'broken' mackerel tabby. She's also a purebred cutie pie and you're lucky to have her. That picture of her sleeping on her back is too adorable!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A comment: brown tabby or black tabby? Its usually the same meaning. In some associations they say brown tabby, in others black tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kramelop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unless you live in Egypt or a neighbouring country and/or you have pedigree papers, I would say it was unlikely. Your cat looks like a gorgeous brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthair. Her tummy spots are a normal tabby feature, and the pretty spots on her back and sides are created by 'dotted line' stripes, making her a 'broken' mackerel tabby. She's also a purebred cutie pie and you're lucky to have her. That picture of her sleeping on her back is too adorable!
She is quite cute and we are taken with her, as would be the case with any kitten. But we are quite happy with finding her. We've been taking some time integrating her into our family with our two other cats and as such at night we have been keeping her in our room sleeping with us to give the other two some non-kitten time. Like my cat Bowser she likes to curl up at my side and sleep next to me.

My son was quite taken with the Nintendo Mario games when we got our first two cats and we named our first two Bowser and Peach, after characters from the game. We decided to keep the tradition with this kitten and her name is Luma, which is a star in the super Mario Galaxy game.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Its possible but not because of personalities. One of my cat has the exact same description. Her eyes change color brown to green. Her dad was a striped tabby, So she may have got the stripes from her dad, her mom had spots and a dark streak down her back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kramelop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just back with a couple of additional pictures and story from one event that happened that was hilarious.

I wear an insulin pump and every so often it chirps or chimes to alert me to a need and sometimes it's a more aggressive alert that doesn't end unless you silence it. I was cooking and had my hands dirty and the pump began to alarm. Luma ran to my side and immediately began to trill and chirp back to my pump. I silence the pump. And she immediately ran to the living room and plop down on the floor on her back staring at the ceiling. And when I called her name I got this queer look like, "what?" Just behavior has happened a couple times since.

Luma is now 9 months old and going on 9 and 1/2 lb. She is a beautiful broken mackerel tabby with silvery ticking.

Attachments