Does My Cats Pee Look Normal?

hayleyshaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi! i would just like to know if my kitty’s pee looks abnormal or if it’s just the way the litter is or something lol. I’m pretty sure the white looking stuff is the litter turning white and not anything serious but yeah, i’m super paranoid so i’d like some reassurance! (ideally) so does the coloring of her per look okay and everything? thank you! also sorry if i seem kinda crazy lol.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Not crazy at all :)

Has it always looked like this? Can you get some pellet litter and see what that looks like? There's also a litter that specifically changes color, it's called pretty litter, for monitoring health.

Also, has your baby been in to the vet lately?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Ditto Furballsmom Furballsmom - are you asking because it looks different than what it used to look like - or? Does it have a stronger than normal odor? Cat litters probably change to all different colors when peed on. In my case, the litter turns darker, but I am using Fresh Step Ultra Unscented.

Are there other issues going on? How old is she?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hayleyshaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Not crazy at all :)

Has it always looked like this? Can you get some pellet litter and see what that looks like? There's also a litter that specifically changes color, it's called pretty litter, for monitoring health.

Also, has your baby been in to the vet lately?
ah, okay! maybe i’ll get some of that pretty litter stuff lol. I don’t think her pee had always looked like this no.. i just remember noticing whenever my kittens use the litter box the pee always turns dark immediately after and this time it didn’t. I’m using the same brand litter but slightly different from the previous one i bought. its called “Purina Tidy Cats Lightweight Clumping Litter” I had Purinas Tidy Cats previously but it didn’t have a scent so i think that might be the only difference in the litter. And yes she’s been to the vet! (: a few weeks ago we took her to get rid of worms and get her rabies shot. She’s about to be 7 months soon.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I use this exact same litter (tidy cats lightweight). My cats pee is the same. It must be the materials as the old litter I used use to be dark when peed on as well.

I personally would not worry and just monitor every couple days...

But as they say, if you’re worried go see your vet. In this case it would be for a urinalysis. You can ask for a quote over the phone for exactly that, they will know.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, try the Pretty Litter. Again, all litters are different, but even when I used scented Fresh Step, it still turned darker not lighter.

Hey, just saw FelisCatus FelisCatus , maybe it IS the lightweight that makes the difference?? Interesting...
It’s actually really annoying because it’s super clumping... the litter costs more and I need to change it more often. Each scoop is like a gigantic handful just for a little pee. The old litter (non lightweight) barely clumped. Overall it is better for their health but not my wallet :(.

hayleyshaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Ditto Furballsmom Furballsmom - are you asking because it looks different than what it used to look like - or? Does it have a stronger than normal odor? Cat litters probably change to all different colors when peed on. In my case, the litter turns darker, but I am using Fresh Step Ultra Unscented.

Are there other issues going on? How old is she?

As far as I know there are no other issues going on aside from that. But there is something else i’m slightly afraid of right now though... I don’t know if giving any of this information would help but. A couple months ago I brought home a male cat who wasn’t neutered, and my female cat isn’t fixed either but she hasn’t gone into heat yet and i haven’t had the funds to get one of them fixed so i thought i might have a little time before i have to do that. but i noticed she’s kinda bloated (which shouldn’t be from worms because we got rid of those??) and i can’t tell if it’s because maybe i’m feeding her too much wet food and it’s making her belly kinda fat? or if she’s just starting to get pregnant?? i haven’t seen the male kitty try to mate with her (he’s about 9 months) but there have been times when i wasn’t home so anything could have happened. She’s not acting as if she’s in heat or anything but i read online there’s this thing called “silent heat” ?? which is basically cats still going into heat just without the intense vocalizing and stuff. so i’m not sure. ): i also noticed my male kitty sniffing her private’s a lot more. but still hasn’t tried to mate with her (to my knowledge) so now when i go out and won’t be home i keep them separated. i’m so sorry this kinda turned into something else entirely but that’s also something that’s been weighing my mind. i called a place to where i can get her spayed for cheap and am waiting for a call back. if she’s pregnant she’s only just gotten pregnant and i believe you can still spay a cat while she’s pregnant? I really don’t like the idea of aborting the kittens if she is but she’s a kitten herself and I just don’t think she’d be able to handle pregnancy. ): anyways, again sorry that this is so long, it’s a lot longer than i initially planned to make it lol. But thanks for reading it anyways!

hayleyshaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use this exact same litter (tidy cats lightweight). My cats pee is the same. It must be the materials as the old litter I used use to be dark when peed on as well.

But as they say, if you’re worried go see your vet. In this case it would be for a urinalysis. You can ask for a quote over the phone for exactly that, they will know.

Oh thank you! I feel relieved seeing yours looks the same!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as I know there are no other issues going on aside from that. But there is something else i’m slightly afraid of right now though... I don’t know if giving any of this information would help but. A couple months ago I brought home a male cat who wasn’t neutered, and my female cat isn’t fixed either but she hasn’t gone into heat yet and i haven’t had the funds to get one of them fixed so i thought i might have a little time before i have to do that. but i noticed she’s kinda bloated (which shouldn’t be from worms because we got rid of those??) and i can’t tell if it’s because maybe i’m feeding her too much wet food and it’s making her belly kinda fat? or if she’s just starting to get pregnant?? i haven’t seen the male kitty try to mate with her (he’s about 9 months) but there have been times when i wasn’t home so anything could have happened. She’s not acting as if she’s in heat or anything but i read online there’s this thing called “silent heat” ?? which is basically cats still going into heat just without the intense vocalizing and stuff. so i’m not sure. ): i also noticed my male kitty sniffing her private’s a lot more. but still hasn’t tried to mate with her (to my knowledge) so now when i go out and won’t be home i keep them separated. i’m so sorry this kinda turned into something else entirely but that’s also something that’s been weighing my mind. i called a place to where i can get her spayed for cheap and am waiting for a call back. if she’s pregnant she’s only just gotten pregnant and i believe you can still spay a cat while she’s pregnant? I really don’t like the idea of aborting the kittens if she is but she’s a kitten herself and I just don’t think she’d be able to handle pregnancy. ): anyways, again sorry that this is so long, it’s a lot longer than i initially planned to make it lol. But thanks for reading it anyways!
Sounds like you already have the ball rolling. Might want to follow up with the low cost spay clinic though. You could also try calling another place in the meantime.

Yes, they could still abort the kittens as it is very early.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Uh oh...you just might have pregnant kitty. Yes, most vets will spay a cat when it is pregnant, sometimes they charge more, but I don't know in all cases. He's old enough, and I am guessing so is she?

There is silent heat, and so maybe that is the case with your girl. Better, call the place back and ask - since it is a cheaper place - how they handle spaying pregnant cats. I don't know if it is any more complicated, but you might want to consider talking to a few more vets before you decide what to do.

Oh, yeah, and while you are at it - better start planning for neutering him too. He could start spraying whether she is spayed or not.

Last edited:

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most clinics up the spay charge if the cat is either preg or in heat as the extra blood and enlargement of the uterus makes the surgery a little more time consuming as for the aborting yes they can (personally ive seen a dog over a month preg-about a little over halfway through the pregnancy, get spayed and pups aborted- it was a shelter dog that was getting adopted by a student and i didnt agree with the abortion that late or not telling the adopter until afterwards but it was the instructor/vet's call)

As for the urine, you can collect a sample and give it to your vet to do a U/A on- you can use straight popcorn kernels (unpopped) to collect the urine